Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #102,886 of 150,664
In Texas, we are succinct and to the point with our praise of all things Schiit. Suffice it to say that all Schiit sounds 'finer than frog hair'.
I think TX is in big trouble if the frogs have hair :wink: Or, alternatively, I'm very jealous of the TX frog's silken locks...

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #102,887 of 150,664
The OP was asking about Vidar -> Tyr, not receiver to component amp. That's comparing fruit to vegetables, man.
I believe our friend's observation was that a superior amp makes a big difference - the Tyr pretty much allows you to use ANY speaker...

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #102,889 of 150,664
For those of us in the UK and with long memories, the early ’70’s was truly a golden era for music.

This is a gem.

The Old Grey Whistle test was the show for contemporary music, and in this episode there is:

1 a clumsy attempt at a cultural sneer against the band featured in this clip, who are Japanese, by amending the name of the show on the back wall to “The Old Gley Whistle Test”,

2 a very neat counter-sneer back, channeled at the British working class (blue collar) stereotype male who when on holiday protected their head from the sun by wearing a knotted handkerchief - she does it beautifully, though I presume it came via the Monty Python’s Gumby caricatures.

3 a demonstration of why they were good enough to be support on the 1975 Roxy Music tour no less!

The band’s name comes from the female lead’s name and depending on which source you read, either her approach to knives in the kitchen, or her insensitive sense of humour. Or, more likely, both.

She’s Mika, and only appears for the second number; the band are the Sadistic Mika Band.

Hope you enjoy.

So cooooool! They remind me of...Oh wait! I had best write that one out...Average White Band. Superb!

ORT The Daring

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #102,890 of 150,664
For those of us in the UK and with long memories, the early ’70’s was truly a golden era for music.

This is a gem.

The Old Grey Whistle test was the show for contemporary music, and in this episode there is:

1 a clumsy attempt at a cultural sneer against the band featured in this clip, who are Japanese, by amending the name of the show on the back wall to “The Old Gley Whistle Test”,

2 a very neat counter-sneer back, channeled at the British working class (blue collar) stereotype male who when on holiday protected their head from the sun by wearing a knotted handkerchief - she does it beautifully, though I presume it came via the Monty Python’s Gumby caricatures.

3 a demonstration of why they were good enough to be support on the 1975 Roxy Music tour no less!

The band’s name comes from the female lead’s name and depending on which source you read, either her approach to knives in the kitchen, or her insensitive sense of humour. Or, more likely, both.

She’s Mika, and only appears for the second number; the band are the Sadistic Mika Band.

Hope you enjoy.

I really, really like this. I did not expect the style at all. Thank-you for sharing.

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #102,891 of 150,664
Ugh.
I think I got a bad firmware flash on my Bifrost 2/64 upgrade, anyone have any suggestions?

What happened:
1.) Disconnected all cables, and left unit powered off for 24 hours. (just in case any caps carried charge, not likely in a DAC, but can't be too safe)
2.) Removed old PCB, installed new PCB (damn these things have ton of tightly spaced surface mounted resistors)
3.) Inserted MicroSD card with new firmware in back of unit.
4.) Connected only power cable and powered on, to allow for flash.
5.) Flash appeared to complete successfully.
6.) Held input select button for 5 seconds to confirm it goes into NOS mode. "breathing" LED suggests it did. Success! Powered off.
8.) Reconnected Bifrost to system and powered back on.
9.) DAMN. Forgot to remove microSD card. Thing appears to be flashing again. I let it finish. (you never want to interrupt a flash...)
10.) Power cycled after completion.
11.) The unit shows up as a USB audio device, but there is no sound output from PC.

Since then I have:
- Tried rebooting system, and power cycling DAC to no avail.
- Holding input select button for 5 seconds no longer enters "breathing" mode. Instead there is a fixed very dim LED (which goes away and returns to normal once pressing select button. This suggests bad firmware on unit.
- Tried inserting MicroSD card to re-flash (hoping this would solve problem) to no avail. It enters an "abbreviated" flash cycle, skipping the first LED, completing much faster than the first time, and once complete
- Verified DAC board was properly inserted (it is)

So, anything else I can try? Maybe a way to force a complete re-flash? Or is my only option to send back to the factory at this point?

Much obliged!

--Matt

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #102,892 of 150,664
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #102,894 of 150,664
Size.
Does.
Not.
Matter.
Kind of trying to bite my tongue here, but oh well: I would say it does, if in a somewhat indirect way. Geometry matters (solid vs stranded, round vs rectangular, etc). It has measurable effects (the skin effect, impedance, capacitance, inductance). The size of two different geometries will not be a 1:1 in terms of these effects.

We could argue that those effects don't translate to hearable differences, but then we're back into subjectivity land. Never a fun place to be when trying to convince others of something online 🙂

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #102,895 of 150,664
Kind of trying to bite my tongue here, but oh well: I would say it does, if in a somewhat indirect way. Geometry matters (solid vs stranded, round vs rectangular, etc). It has measurable effects (the skin effect, impedance, capacitance, inductance). The size of two different geometries will not be a 1:1 in terms of these effects.

We could argue that those effects don't translate to hearable differences, but then we're back into subjectivity land. Never a fun place to be when trying to convince others of something online 🙂
Well said. The larger the cross section the easier it conducts. People can tell a difference in conductors based on my experience even with the same size conductor. Skin effect kicks in for the most part at Radio frequencies.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #102,896 of 150,664
Found in the new Yggdrasil+ user's manual:

Whole-heartedly agreed. Just got the 2-meter DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU cable (thanks @Les Strat and @the finisher). Replaced the Cardas Blue Clear USB, reset the outputs of the AURALiC and... voila! Hard to explain the difference, but the sound is more vibrant; individual instruments are better delineated and more "airy" (whatever that means).

I need to get my audio sommelier rating bc I'm running out of words. :) My English friends and colleagues are quickly tiring of my constant hyperbole...
#awesome #amazing #sublime
My pleasure @dstrimbu :beyersmile:

I am really pleased that you have also had such a good experience using the DH Labs D-110 AES/EBU cable with your Yggy.

It is thanks to @the finisher that I am using DH Labs cables!

I use D-110 AES/EBU from CD transport to my Yggy and D-750 BNC to BNC from my streamer.

Very happy with both.

For some reason, BNC sounds slightly ‘better’ than AES on my streamer, but AES is better than BNC with CD transport.

A happy result, as it means I can use both the BNC and AES inputs on my Yggy :relaxed:

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #102,899 of 150,664
Very good job pointing out Carmina Burana!
Oh, I forgot Carmen Jones!!! Though Harry Belafonte starred, wasn’t this the pic in which some idiot didn’t let him sing?

Nov 13, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #102,900 of 150,664
Ok, got it. Anyone with the motivation / skills to create and maintain a SchiitWiki (or Schiitiki, which sounds like a mushroom if you say it right)? I think this needs to happen. Can be a shared/public Google Sheet maybe if someone wants to KISS. Feels kind of necessary, and many reasons why I think @Jason Stoddard is right not to want to do this.
Since on SBAF the "Gungnir Multibit A2" / Gumby A2 is accepted fact while to my knowledge Schiit has never publicly admitted to having made an A2, I'm not sure there's enough public knowledge out there to do this with complete accuracy.

May still be worthwhile, I frequently look at specs or manuals of gear I bought a long time ago. But I really wish Schiit (and other manufacturers) just kept an archive and kept the full model name on their website. Instead the URL for the current Ragnarok 2 ends in "ragnarok-1". 🤪

Kudos, though, that the manuals are linked to on the respective product pages. Many manufacturers only have them on entirely separate "Support" sections with a completely different structure.

So… if I order a current generation Yggy+ OG, how much of that is the same as a Yggy A2 (with a silent OG)? Are they the same machine? I’m trying to get unconfused - and I’m the owner of a LIM.
It should sound the same as the A2 while featuring the benefits of the new chassis (IR remote, NOS mode, upgradability, less tall).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back