Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #102,856 of 150,726
A question. A few years back I included a Yggdrasil OG with some DAC's friends and I were comparing. Today would the best bet be the Yggdrasil + or the More is Less? I have not paid much attention to the changes myself but the present write up on the + seems to put it on the top. I used my own Gungnir last time and it did fairly well so I may still use it for a reference.
I'm not sure I understand your question, so please forgive me if this turns out to be a non-answer or even entirely missing the point.

The '+' only denotes the upgraded chassis. With that upgraded case come a few fringe benefits, like the ability to disable the upsampling part in Mike's filter ("NOS mode"), an IR remote control, a mute button, and less of a hassle in case you need to open the thing for future upgrades.

But the boards in there remain the same as they were a few weeks ago, with the same three flavors: OG (the Analog Devices "A2" boards), Less is More (16 bit Texas Instruments), and More is Less (20 bit Texas Instruments).

As for which would be considered "best suited" to serve as a reference DAC for your tests? Gosh, who knows…
Reading between the lines, Less is More seems to sell the best. But that doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of actual sonic performance. For one, it's quite a bit cheaper than the other two flavors, so that alone gives it quite the edge. Second, its name sounds more positive ("Less is More" vs. "More is Less" — the latter just sounds, well, less good).

Personally, I only really intimately know the sound of the OG flavor, meaning the AD boards, so I don't actually know if LiM or MiL sound any "better" than OG. But I do also own a Gumby, and I use both the Yggy OG and the Gumby on a daily basis. And for what it's worth, at least to my own ears, Yggy OG is everything as good as Gumby is, only more refined and nicer in pretty much every single regard.
Based on that, and since you said that you enjoyed your Gumby quite a lot, I'd say that Yggy OG might be the best bet for your test setup.
There's also nothing wrong with sticking with your Gumby. It could serve as a known constant for your tests.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #102,857 of 150,726
@Jason Stoddard i got to say I do wish that you would post a full canonical version history of each of your lines on schiit.com. Dates, names, revisions, upgrade paths, maybe serial #s, maybe nicknames. No reviews, just basic facts.
Even for those of us who have been following along, it’s really confusing. I think Gumby is likely to be a flashpoint, but all the folks who want to buy Yggy+ or buy old Yggy and upgrade are going to be clogging these forums with similar, very understandable, requests for clarification, and we only do so much before we start confusing things too.

Thanks for considering.
Hear, hear! A Schiistory, as it were. Somehow I doubt Jason has the inclination or the energy for such a project; though if he did I'd beseech him to include the Schiit That Never Was, those ideas that never got past the prototype stage. Maybe someone at Schiit could take on the task, or one of us here on the thread (not me) who could then fact-check with Schiit HQ.?

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #102,858 of 150,726
ARTHUR:
The Lady of the Lake,
[angels sing]
her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is why I am your king!

DENNIS
Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

ARTHUR
Be quiet!

DENNIS
Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR: Shut up!

DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!

ARTHUR
Shut up! Will you shut up!

DENNIS
Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #102,859 of 150,726
Apologies for being completely OT (wait, that's my specialty) but found this and couldn't resist sharing...

From the days when men really were men, the circa-1905 front wheel drive racer designed and built by American J. Walter Christie. I think this is the 20-liter version - each cylinder displacing abut 300 cubic inches. Golly. Christie is better known for designing the track suspension system used on Russian and British tanks of WWII. Dig the colorization. I now return you to the real business of this thread - movies.
John Dodd "hold my beer".

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/ar...in-engined-monstrosity-infuriated-rolls-royce

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #102,860 of 150,726
Hear, hear! A Schiistory, as it were. Somehow I doubt Jason has the inclination or the energy for such a project; though if he did I'd beseech him to include the Schiit That Never Was, those ideas that never got past the prototype stage. Maybe someone at Schiit could take on the task, or one of us here on the thread (not me) who could then fact-check with Schiit HQ.?
I hereby dub it The SchiitStorm. Maybe I’m not the progenitor, but I’d like to think imagine I had an original idea today.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #102,861 of 150,726
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #102,862 of 150,726
Are you looking for a preamp, or something that can do both?

If you are looking for a preamp, the Freya S or +would be a good option. If you want someone to do both, the Lyr+ has that capability, but doesn't have as much gain as you would find with the dedicated preamp.

I have the Freya S and really like it, 4x gain, Nexus stage to convert SE to balanced.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gotto have headphone capability - by order of the missus.

The Lyr is spec'd at as high as 15db gain. But I gather from email correspondence with Schiit that not all of that gain is available at the pre -outs... ?

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #102,863 of 150,726
I'm not sure I understand your question, so please forgive me if this turns out to be a non-answer or even entirely missing the point.

The '+' only denotes the upgraded chassis. With that upgraded case come a few fringe benefits, like the ability to disable the upsampling part in Mike's filter ("NOS mode"), an IR remote control, a mute button, and less of a hassle in case you need to open the thing for future upgrades.

But the boards in there remain the same as they were a few weeks ago, with the same three flavors: OG (the Analog Devices "A2" boards), Less is More (16 bit Texas Instruments), and More is Less (20 bit Texas Instruments).

As for which would be considered "best suited" to serve as a reference DAC for your tests? Gosh, who knows…
Reading between the lines, Less is More seems to sell the best. But that doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of actual sonic performance. For one, it's quite a bit cheaper than the other two flavors, so that alone gives it quite the edge. Second, its name sounds more positive ("Less is More" vs. "More is Less" — the latter just sounds, well, less good).

Personally, I only really intimately know the sound of the OG flavor, meaning the AD boards, so I don't actually know if LiM or MiL sound any "better" than OG. But I do also own a Gumby, and I use both the Yggy OG and the Gumby on a daily basis. And for what it's worth, at least to my own ears, Yggy OG is everything as good as Gumby is, only more refined and nicer in pretty much every single regard.
Based on that, and since you said that you enjoyed your Gumby quite a lot, I'd say that Yggy OG might be the best bet for your test setup.
There's also nothing wrong with sticking with your Gumby. It could serve as a known constant for your tests.
Mike would say, "Get Less is More and call it a day."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #102,864 of 150,726
Yeah, this ain't gonna happen. I have to focus on the future. Lots of stuff coming, including on Wednesday (yes, again).

If there is anything unclear on what we are currently selling, let us know and we'll get it corrected. With respect to older products, we usually try to explain differences on the FAQ, but we can't cross-reference with pet names or imaginary changes/upgrades that we never even created. "Gumby?" you gotta be kidding. The only pet name we've ever used is "Yggy," as far as I know. There's no "I" in there either, just like there's no Gumby or Bitfrost.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #102,865 of 150,726
Mike would say, "Get Less is More and call it a day."
LOL I tried to list the options available on the site by their designations so Less is More it is, thanks!

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #102,866 of 150,726
Yeah, this ain't gonna happen. I have to focus on the future. Lots of stuff coming, including on Wednesday (yes, again).

If there is anything unclear on what we are currently selling, let us know and we'll get it corrected. With respect to older products, we usually try to explain differences on the FAQ, but we can't cross-reference with pet names or imaginary changes/upgrades that we never even created. "Gumby?" you gotta be kidding. The only pet name we've ever used is "Yggy," as far as I know. There's no "I" in there either, just like there's no Gumby or Bitfrost.
Ok, got it. Anyone with the motivation / skills to create and maintain a SchiitWiki (or Schiitiki, which sounds like a mushroom if you say it right)? I think this needs to happen. Can be a shared/public Google Sheet maybe if someone wants to KISS. Feels kind of necessary, and many reasons why I think @Jason Stoddard is right not to want to do this.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #102,868 of 150,726
Hello all,

Which Schiit headphone amp will pair well with a First Watt F4 ?

The F4 "needs a preamp that has voltage gain - a passive preamp or buffer will not drive an F4. This amp has no voltage gain so works best when paired with an active preamp that has reasonable gain."

Any suggestions?
(revised)
as the F4 is rated 25W into 8 ohms, and 0dB gain, a headphone amp acting as the pre-amp could be rated as high as 667mW into 300 ohms single-ended.

key is to look for ~15dB gain and adequate single-ended voltage swing (wattage into 300 ohms).

Jotunheim is good only if you are planning to use dual F4's in balanced-input monoblock mode (SE output is too low to take full advantage of F4's capabilities).

otherwise, for a single F4 (in conventional stereo mode), better headphone amp choices are Asgard 3, Lyr+, Valhalla.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #102,869 of 150,726
ARTHUR:
The Lady of the Lake,
[angels sing]
her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is why I am your king!

<< snip snip>>

I am not always a great fan of documentaries, but this was one of the most insightful ever produced.

"Farcical aquatic ceremony" indeed.

A Top 5 GOAT movie in its genre, in my view.

However, as a musical item, the [so-called] soundtrack is a very odd beast, and IMO is not much of a contender for this list we're working on of the Greatest/MostFavorite SoundTracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back