Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #102,826 of 151,162
Original movie, TV show, and game soundtracks.
Not single tracks, but soundtracks that were written specifically for their respective movies/shows/games and are outstanding in their entirety.

Let's hear your favorites!

There are no wrong answers. And thee who judges will be blocked.

Here are mine, in no particular order:
- Charade (Henry Mancini)
- Mr. Robot (Vol. 1 - 7) (Mac Quayle)
- La Dolce Vita (Nino Rota)
- Thunderball (John Barry)
- Bullitt (Lalo Schifrin)
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Tan Dun, Yo-Yo Ma)
- Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 [Remastered] (Bear McCreary)
- Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Deluxe Version) (Hans Zimmer)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Hans Zimmer)
- Crimson Peak (Fernando Velázquez)
- Jurassic Park (John Williams)
- Star Trek (2009) (Michael Giacchino)
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (James Horner)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (The Flight)

Evita (the Banderas/Madonna soundtrack is an all-time fave)
Star Trek: First Contact
Hunt for Red October
Crimson Tide
Streets of Fire

And how come nobody has mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show? 🤣

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #102,827 of 151,162
Nov 13, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #102,831 of 151,162

bcowen said:

And how come nobody has mentioned Rocky Horror Picture Show? 🤣
Because it was too obvious?
Or because everyone old enough to have experienced it is too old to remember it?
I'm young enough to try to forget that I spent nearly every Saturday for two years of middle school hanging out at the 8th street playhouse at midnight. The bored kids who took the tickets knew me and every other misfit who was there. Those lyrics are etched and burned into my brain, and I'm still trying to get 'em out. Not saying it wasn't great, it was. It was epic. But that was too much of a good thing.

Nov 13, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #102,832 of 151,162
One of the better uses of Wagner in a movie, Excalibur 1981
... and Carmina Burana.

Apparently, I'm not a huge fan of soundtracks. Some of my favorite individual songs are from soundtracks, but I don't listen to entire sound track albums.

Movies:
Star Wars (IV A New Hope)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049
Batman (the "original", and only the Danny Elfman part)
The Pink Panther (the original, not the misguided Steve Martin remake)
Conan the Barbarian
Fiddler on the Roof
Last Man Standing (Ry Cooder)

TV:
Peter Gunn
Mission: Impossible
Barney Miller
M*A*S*H*
Hawaii Five-0 (original, didn't spell it Hawai'i because the show creators didn't)
St. Elsewhere
X-Files (I never "got" Twin Peaks, so I'll support X-Files as some of the most appropriate/ supportive music for a TV show; no fun to listen to by itself, though)
Almost anything Carl Stalling put together for Looney Tunes

Games:
Bastion
Helsing: Raid (or perhaps that's anime...)

Not following the rules: the music for Tour of Duty. I think I posted a couple of times about this. I got as far as I could. I counted 181 instances of not-OST-music and was able to identify 150-odd of the songs. Fifteen or so of those "missing" are "duplicates" (heard two or more times in the series) and the other fifteen I've failed to identify so far. Lots of Motown, which I didn't listen to the first time around. A good bit of classic rock, some blues, a couple of country songs, too. A fun, nostalgic listen.

Funny: one of our local "syndication stations" plays the original Hawaii Five-0. I saw an episode the other day with Ricardo Montalban cast as a Japanese guy, born in the US, being investigated by McGarrett as an assassin. Cheesy make-up to try to make his eye look Asian, and in-again-out-again accent and all.

Nov 13, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #102,834 of 151,162
A question. A few years back I included a Yggdrasil OG with some DAC's friends and I were comparing. Today would the best bet be the Yggdrasil + or the More is Less? I have not paid much attention to the changes myself but the present write up on the + seems to put it on the top. I used my own Gungnir last time and it did fairly well so I may still use it for a reference.

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #102,835 of 151,162
... and Carmina Burana.

Apparently, I'm not a huge fan of soundtracks. Some of my favorite individual songs are from soundtracks, but I don't listen to entire sound track albums.

Movies:
Star Wars (IV A New Hope)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049
Batman (the "original", and only the Danny Elfman part)
The Pink Panther (the original, not the misguided Steve Martin remake)
Conan the Barbarian
Fiddler on the Roof
Last Man Standing (Ry Cooder)

TV:
Peter Gunn
Mission: Impossible
Barney Miller
M*A*S*H*
Hawaii Five-0 (original, didn't spell it Hawai'i because the show creators didn't)
St. Elsewhere
X-Files (I never "got" Twin Peaks, so I'll support X-Files as some of the most appropriate/ supportive music for a TV show; no fun to listen to by itself, though)
Almost anything Carl Stalling put together for Looney Tunes

Games:
Bastion
Helsing: Raid (or perhaps that's anime...)

Not following the rules: the music for Tour of Duty. I think I posted a couple of times about this. I got as far as I could. I counted 181 instances of not-OST-music and was able to identify 150-odd of the songs. Fifteen or so of those "missing" are "duplicates" (heard two or more times in the series) and the other fifteen I've failed to identify so far. Lots of Motown, which I didn't listen to the first time around. A good bit of classic rock, some blues, a couple of country songs, too. A fun, nostalgic listen.

Funny: one of our local "syndication stations" plays the original Hawaii Five-0. I saw an episode the other day with Ricardo Montalban cast as a Japanese guy, born in the US, being investigated by McGarrett as an assassin. Cheesy make-up to try to make his eye look Asian, and in-again-out-again accent and all.
Very good job pointing out Carmina Burana!

Nov 13, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #102,836 of 151,162
Nov 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #102,838 of 151,162
Are you looking for a preamp, or something that can do both?

If you are looking for a preamp, the Freya S or +would be a good option. If you want someone to do both, the Lyr+ has that capability, but doesn't have as much gain as you would find with the dedicated preamp.

I have the Freya S and really like it, 4x gain, Nexus stage to convert SE to balanced.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #102,839 of 151,162
Apologies for being completely OT (wait, that's my specialty) but found this and couldn't resist sharing...
111522christie.jpg

From the days when men really were men, the circa-1905 front wheel drive racer designed and built by American J. Walter Christie. I think this is the 20-liter version - each cylinder displacing abut 300 cubic inches. Golly. Christie is better known for designing the track suspension system used on Russian and British tanks of WWII. Dig the colorization. I now return you to the real business of this thread - movies.

Nov 13, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #102,840 of 151,162
A question. A few years back I included a Yggdrasil OG with some DAC's friends and I were comparing. Today would the best bet be the Yggdrasil + or the More is Less? I have not paid much attention to the changes myself but the present write up on the + seems to put it on the top. I used my own Gungnir last time and it did fairly well so I may still use it for a reference.
The analog 2 upgrade to Yggy took the original unit to another level of sonic performance. I have not heard the variants, but A2 well supersedes the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back