Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 12, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #102,781 of 150,571
I neglected to mention the Paladin79 approach to decision-making in the audio hobby:

* buy one or more of every candidate on the short list
* have a block party with 100 selected friends
* do a design of experiments for double-blind testing
* have a subset of the "most proficient listeners" participate in the blind testing
* enjoy wine & cheese etc during the event
* have a statistician analyze the results
* distribute findings to the group

That's not really a heuristic approach.
We rarely have to buy the items, last DAC listen we used mostly what our group owns and we rejected DAC’s selling for more than $10k. We can borrow other gear and will most likely have to this time.

We did buy some 6SN7’s since we wanted to hear all we could.

The testing is generally done in an engineering lab and any partying is after the fact.😁

As far as listeners, we do like to use younger people who can still hear high frequencies, as part of the mix.

Expectation bias is eliminated as best possible. The results are the results.

That being said we have not done speakers or tube power amps so my approach on those were heuristic.

There are often deals that allow me to obtain gear for very little money, then I keep what I truly like and dump the rest. Oh and I can do my own design on specific items so that situation may be a little unusual.🤪🤪

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #102,783 of 150,571
So, thoughts on Gungnir. How about going a bit crazy and installing an optional BluOS module in it? But take the digital out from the card and use the Multibit DAC and filter. That way, all the software is handled by Lenbrook.
So you are asking a company that doesn't want to install a display (or it should be fast e-ink) because of its interference, to install a third party WiFi module with (huge) interference?
I'm sure (and very glad) the answer will be no.
These Schiit guys are purists, and I love them for it. No gimmicks like this please. Keep it pure. Plenty of other brands to choose from.

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #102,785 of 150,571
I stumbled on that Band-Maid video a few years ago. The second the lead singer started to sing I was hooked.
Christmas last year Band-Maid streamed a concert--unable to do live concerts at the time (Covid).
The whole set was acoustic, except for the bass.
Check out the interplay between the two acoustic guitars starting at about 2:13 in the video I linked to. BTW, the www.bilibli.com website has a lot of Japanese music, not on youtube and I think better sound.

Band-Maid Catharsis (acoustic)
For those of us in the UK and with long memories, the early ’70’s was truly a golden era for music.

This is a gem.

The Old Grey Whistle test was the show for contemporary music, and in this episode there is:

1 a clumsy attempt at a cultural sneer against the band featured in this clip, who are Japanese, by amending the name of the show on the back wall to “The Old Gley Whistle Test”,

2 a very neat counter-sneer back, channeled at the British working class (blue collar) stereotype male who when on holiday protected their head from the sun by wearing a knotted handkerchief - she does it beautifully, though I presume it came via the Monty Python’s Gumby caricatures.

3 a demonstration of why they were good enough to be support on the 1975 Roxy Music tour no less!

The band’s name comes from the female lead’s name and depending on which source you read, either her approach to knives in the kitchen, or her insensitive sense of humour. Or, more likely, both.

She’s Mika, and only appears for the second number; the band are the Sadistic Mika Band.

Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #102,787 of 150,571
Fun note here. John Carpenter's The Thing (not to be confused with the good but very different 50's version, The Thing) is pre-CGI and pre-a-whole-lot-of-special-effect-tech. His guidance to the SFX crew was, "I do not want the alien to look like a man in a rubber suit." I think they met and exceeded that brief in stupendous manner. John Carpenter is a national treasure!

We need a list of these movies somewhere. I am low on good, not gory, scary movies/monster movies!
I think James Arness was some sort of Carrot-based monster in the '50s version. If so, he could have been easily defeated by the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :ksc75smile:

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #102,788 of 150,571
Somewhere @Jason Stoddard justified the lack of digital displays by pointing out how dated they eventually look. Today I sat at my home work desk and realized that I can see four Schiit devices, an ancient analog NAD tuner, two tube amps, and an @Paladin79 built fully electro-mechanical VU meter. Not one has an incorrectly set clock on the front face. I am thankful for this.
His disdain for digital displays does not explain the same treatment for wonder that is the VU Meter...Just sayin'...:beerchug:
In truth, it is his and Mike's company so they do what is best in their estimation and that is working fine so far!
Nov 12, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #102,789 of 150,571
I think James Arness was some sort of Carrot-based monster in the '50s version. If so, he could have been easily defeated by the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :ksc75smile:

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #102,790 of 150,571
I neglected to mention the Paladin79 approach to decision-making in the audio hobby:

* buy one or more of every candidate on the short list
* have a block party with 100 selected friends
* do a design of experiments for double-blind testing
* have a subset of the "most proficient listeners" participate in the blind testing
* enjoy wine & cheese etc during the event
* have a statistician analyze the results
* distribute findings to the group

That's not really a heuristic approach.

(edit/add: Crossed threads with the Master ... I saw he had read my post.)
Your post kept my interest, as they usually do.😁

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #102,791 of 150,571
Original movie, TV show, and game soundtracks.
Not single tracks, but soundtracks that were written specifically for their respective movies/shows/games and are outstanding in their entirety.

Let's hear your favorites!

There are no wrong answers. And thee who judges will be blocked.

Here are mine, in no particular order:
- Charade (Henry Mancini)
- Mr. Robot (Vol. 1 - 7) (Mac Quayle)
- La Dolce Vita (Nino Rota)
- Thunderball (John Barry)
- Bullitt (Lalo Schifrin)
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Tan Dun, Yo-Yo Ma)
- Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 [Remastered] (Bear McCreary)
- Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Deluxe Version) (Hans Zimmer)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Hans Zimmer)
- Crimson Peak (Fernando Velázquez)
- Jurassic Park (John Williams)
- Star Trek (2009) (Michael Giacchino)
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (James Horner)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (The Flight)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #102,792 of 150,571
Not single tracks, but soundtracks that were written specifically for their respective movies/shows/games and are outstanding in its entirety.

Here are mine, in no particular order:
- Charade (Henry Mancini)
- Mr. Robot (Vol. 1 - 7) (Mac Quayle)
- La Dolce Vita (Nino Rota)
- Thunderball (John Barry)
- Bullitt (Lalo Schifrin)
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Tan Dun, Yo-Yo Ma)
- Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 [Remastered] (Bear McCreary)
- Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Deluxe Version) (Hans Zimmer)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Hans Zimmer)
- Crimson Peak (Fernando Velázquez)
- Jurassic Park (John Williams)
- Star Trek (2009) (Michael Giacchino)
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (James Horner)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (The Flight)
Off the top of my head:

* Star Wars OST (John Williams) - one of the only soundtracks we listened to in our living room when I was a kid
* Tommy (the Who)
* Quadrophenia (the Who)
* Purple Rain (Prince)

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #102,793 of 150,571
BATMAN BEGINS
BEOWULF (ANIMATED FEATURE)
BRAVEHEART
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
DANCES WITH WOLVES
DAYS OF HEAVEN
EX MACHINA
THE 5TH ELEMENT
KING ARTHUR (2004)
KING KONG (THE REMAKE)
LAST OF THE MOHICANS
THE NEW WORLD
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (2008 SWEDEN)
MOTHMAN PROPHECIES
SCOTT OF ANTARCTICA
SERENITY
SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS
SOLARIS (US REMAKE)
THE DESCENT
TRANSFORMERS ( THE FIRST ONE)
TROY
UNBREAKABLE
THE VILLAGE

AND PROBABLY 60 TO 70 MORE MORE THAT I OWN.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #102,794 of 150,571
Not single tracks, but soundtracks that were written specifically for their respective movies/shows/games and are outstanding in their entirety.

<< snip snip >>

You somehow missed the best of the best - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back