Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #102,241 of 150,610
Hey, I'm sure this is well-trod ground, and I tried some searching and failed, so I'm appealing to institutional knowledge. Why did Schiit decide to kill off / discontinue the Mjolnir 2? I get why Folkvangr is limited edition (it's crazy, that's a lot of tubes, who's it really going to appeal to). But it feels like the form factor, sound, power, hybrid nature of MJ2 were and are well-loved. Can't quite wrap my mind around why others don't get to enjoy what I love so much. I know lots of speculation about an MJ3 someday, but I really wonder why there is no MJ2, because I think it's so durn perfect....

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #102,242 of 150,610
I tried to buy a TD and my dad wouldn't lend me 150 quid IIRC. Similarly, when trying to buy the B GT his words when asked for a loan "Bugger off and earn, like I had to". My mum sneaked me the deposit.

If you like the WRX, I'd suggest episode one of the new series of the Grand Tour. Epic silliness and a massive shunt - and not from who you would expect.
I have watched that Grand Tour episode and was laughing my ass off when he crashed that poor EVO.

I love my WRX, bought it new and redline (shifting moments before the rev limiter kicks in) it just about every day that I drive it. Since I don't have the funds to own a Porsche or Ferrari or even a Tesla the little wagon will have to do. Hard to have more fun per dollar spent. My previous fun car was a Nissan 240SX so I know all about drifting the back end around. I actually keep the rears on the WRX inflated more than the fronts so that they start to come out just before the whole car goes sideways. That alone has saved me a few times since I seem to find the limit a lot when driving twisties.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #102,243 of 150,610
And yes, to this day, I still tend to stall a manual at least once after having driven only automatics for a while. Your left foot needs a few minutes to tap into that part of muscle memory. 😬

I had a moment last Saturday, as I jumped back on my car after 2 weeks of driving an automatic on vacation. Confidently reached for the clutch pedal (or so I thought) with my left foot, moved the gear lever from 1st to reverse and proceeded to make a cringy, crunchy sound...as I figured I was pressing on the brake instead of the clutch

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #102,244 of 150,610
Hey, I'm sure this is well-trod ground, and I tried some searching and failed, so I'm appealing to institutional knowledge. Why did Schiit decide to kill off / discontinue the Mjolnir 2? I get why Folkvangr is limited edition (it's crazy, that's a lot of tubes, who's it really going to appeal to). But it feels like the form factor, sound, power, hybrid nature of MJ2 were and are well-loved. Can't quite wrap my mind around why others don't get to enjoy what I love so much. I know lots of speculation about an MJ3 someday, but I really wonder why there is no MJ2, because I think it's so durn perfect....
The custom transformers required for its complex power supply were expensive and may have become unobtainable. It also was not selling very well. That said, I wish that I had purchased one before they disappeared.

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #102,245 of 150,610
The custom transformers required for its complex power supply were expensive and may have become unobtainable. It also was not selling very well. That said, I wish that I had purchased one before they disappeared.
Thanks, that's helpful. I googled using some of the phrases in your reply and found Jason's RIP announcement from back in the day.

Also, just do it. S'wonderful. $700 well spent on the secondary market. While I am glad I have a Folkvangr inbound, my Mjolnir 2 will live on for my planar collection and other hard to drive cans in my office. Pry it outta my hands.

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #102,246 of 150,610
When Schiit pulls production on one of their products it becomes a desirable, instant classic, collectible! As part of my downsizing I've sold all but two pieces (which I haven't listed for sale yet) and a few Schiit accessories. Some were sold before I could even get them listed in Head-Fi classifieds. And of all Schiit HP amps I've owned it was always a toss up for me between the MJ2 hybrid design and Rag SS design. I am going to miss the music and this hobby, it's been a lot of fun and pleasure.

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #102,247 of 150,610
When Schiit pulls production on one of their products it becomes a desirable, instant classic, collectible! As part of my downsizing I've sold all but two pieces (which I haven't listed for sale yet) and a few Schiit accessories. Some were sold before I could even get them listed in Head-Fi classifieds. And of all Schiit HP amps I've owned it was always a toss up for me between the MJ2 hybrid design and Rag SS design. I am going to miss the music and this hobby, it's been a lot of fun and pleasure.
For me sometimes, it is a matter of timing. I got back into vinyl after I retired so I was not ready for a Sol till then.🤪🤪

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #102,248 of 150,610
Just wondering.....Are you leaving the hobby?

Leo

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #102,249 of 150,610
My feelings regarding French Engineering can be explained by the fact that I used to own a Renault R5

Je regrette, it is largely true ... apart from some notable exceptions, like the Citroen SM or the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, it is on the whole a catastrophe ... I have owned only 3 French made cars and ... I think, I'll leave it there ! :laughing:

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #102,250 of 150,610
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #102,251 of 150,610
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #102,252 of 150,610
1667517219795.png

And I thought Halloween was over..........

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #102,253 of 150,610
Sometimes when my little computer sound system (Audioengine 5s, Jot 2, BF2 2/64) is playing I find myself listening with my mouth hanging open at just how GOOD this stuff sounds- good enough that I am rarely motivated to fire up the Big System. Like right now, playing Zoe Keating via Amazon Music. And all I had to do is click play. We live in amazing times. To think we have gotten to this beautiful sound now from the sheer unlistenable horror of early digital.

Thank you again Jason and Mike.

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #102,254 of 150,610
According to Jason they couldn't move them with bran.

To me that means not enough sales by a long shot.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #102,255 of 150,610
Je regrette, it is largely true ... apart from some notable exceptions, like the Citroen SM or the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, it is on the whole a catastrophe ... I have owned only 3 French made cars and ... I think, I'll leave it there ! :laughing:
I've had a couple in my time, my Renault Megane Coupe was fun to drive, my Ex's Scenic, less so. But I just got back from 2 weeks in the UK and the Peugeot 208 we hired was fabulous. I'd buy one if they ever came to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back