Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #102,272 of 150,605
Funny you should mention Citroën. The Oli is perhaps the most interesting incarnation of an EV I've seen in years. I'd love to see them pull it off, and to be able to acquire one in the US. French and all!

Interesting approach, even if it looks like a 'brick on wheels' (to me, anyway) ... its stablemate, the smaller Citroën AMI, is available for €39 a month on lease, which is cheap over here. OK for a city car, I guess, but living in rural France, perhaps not !

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #102,274 of 150,605
What about cochlear implants?

The problem could be many reasons including age, heredity, a tumor, and so on, and there's no way of telling if the issue is the inner ear, the nerve that runs to the brain, or the area of the brain that translates the electrical signal to music, but most likely the nerves themselves. And, it's frequency specific. I can't be certain but it seemed to be much more subtle before my left knee replacement surgery back in April but that was only a 2 hour operation and since Vietnam I've had about 2 dozens surgeries on knees, hands, and shoulder, so it could be an accumulating sort of thing. And, I'm 75 so...

I am hanging on to my RAAL SR1a, HSa-1b, and Lokius for use with my Oppo 105D and film watching. That combo seems to not emphasize the trouble frequencies as much as my other phones and gear.

I'm hanging on to my retro walnut and copper Incvbvs for the nostalgia factor, maybe a glass display case.

I'm also hanging on to some box sets of some of my favorite composer's on the slim to none possibility a fix can be determined. As I've mentioned before the issue is lower bass frequencies that are off pitch and fuzzy at times and upper midrange frequencies accompanied by a noise that sounds like blowing across the top of a beer bottle. Both fall well above and below the range of human speech so that has not been an issue.

I've been amazed at how fast my equipment is selling. I'm down to a LYR3, Valhalla II, and a NuPrime CD transport. Then it's on to my HP's, tube collection, and any odd accessories. Even some CD's have sold along with some IC's and HP cables. On my way to ship 3 boxes out later this morning. I like thinking others will get as much enjoyment from the equipment as I have.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #102,275 of 150,605
Je regrette, it is largely true ... apart from some notable exceptions, like the Citroen SM or the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, it is on the whole a catastrophe ... I have owned only 3 French made cars and ... I think, I'll leave it there ! :laughing:
However - The Alpha jet and Fouga Magister are Lovely
good looking French aircraft.jpg

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #102,276 of 150,605
Ok Schiit friends. With $600 to spend for a Silver Schiit PreAmp which Preamp? Freya S or Lyr+.

My system now is Gungnir MB with Unison (A1), Schiit Sys to old B&K Amp with monitor audio studio speakers.

I really like the idea of Lyr+ with a single tube to roll. Or SS operation. (I already have a Tung Sol 6SN7 tube. ) the other part of me really wants to try Balanced. I know for a fact that I get a lot of rf interference in the room from a local radio tower. I use well shielded rca cables. I'm wondering if any improvements could be had.

Freya+ really concerns me with long term tube costs. Quads of the tubes seem quite expensive. I guess a quad of tye Lisst tubes isn't so bad, but if that's the plan I'm back to freya s.

What do you all think? I have a tube integrated that I Love, but it struggles with the speakers that I love more.
I bought a Freya S and have it matched with BF2/64 and a Vidar. Very happy, great preamp for the money. It's also what Jason uses to run his system at home....

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #102,277 of 150,605
I like thinking others will get as much enjoyment from the equipment as I have.
That is very positive thinking that I can appreciate very very much.
The same way I thought about selling my vinyl collection. I never play it any more (kept a small collection for Sol) so why not let others enjoy it like I've enjoyed it for decades.
All the best to you.

Nov 4, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #102,278 of 150,605
Interesting approach, even if it looks like a 'brick on wheels' (to me, anyway) ... its stablemate, the smaller Citroën AMI, is available for €39 a month on lease, which is cheap over here. OK for a city car, I guess, but living in rural France, perhaps not !
There are lots of Americans who can only dream about leasing an EV city car for $38/month (using the current EUR-USD exchange rate). The availability of something like that would disrupt the entire industry in the States, and have a ripple effect around the world, given the size of our market.

I like the form-follows-function and sheer innovative aspects of the OLI, and the stylish way Citroën has pulled it off. Even my wife likes it, which is saying something because she hates the look of Hummers and other vehicles of that ilk. With its 400 km range, it could make for a nice practical all-purpose rural vehicle.

So I'm curious, and if I may ask, dans quelle région de la belle France résidez-vous?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #102,279 of 150,605
Je regrette, it is largely true ... apart from some notable exceptions, like the Citroen SM or the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, it is on the whole a catastrophe ... I have owned only 3 French made cars and ... I think, I'll leave it there ! :laughing:
As a counterpoint to all the disparaging comments on automobiles Francais...
110422voisin.jpg

1931 Voisin C20. Built by an aircraft pioneer.
Must confess I've always had a soft spot for French cars, especially the Deux Cheveau.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #102,281 of 150,605
Thanks, that's helpful. I googled using some of the phrases in your reply and found Jason's RIP announcement from back in the day.

Also, just do it. S'wonderful. $700 well spent on the secondary market. While I am glad I have a Folkvangr inbound, my Mjolnir 2 will live on for my planar collection and other hard to drive cans in my office. Pry it outta my hands.
My FV drives planers quite well. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #102,282 of 150,605
Oh, no I do so disagree!!
I loved my Citroen CS estate! My dad preferred Puegeot cars and they were reliable and did high mileage. As for aircraft, how could you not regard Concorde as amongst - if not THE - most gorgeous aircraft ever built? Those YT crap clickbait things are usually greeted by howls of derision in terms of their ideas of "odd", "ugly" or and other adjective.

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #102,283 of 150,605
There are lots of Americans who can only dream about leasing an EV city car for $38/month (using the current EUR-USD exchange rate). The availability of something like that would disrupt the entire industry in the States, and have a ripple effect around the world, given the size of our market.

I like the form-follows-function and sheer innovative aspects of the OLI, and they stylish way Citroën has pulled it off. Even my wife likes it, which is saying something because she hates the look of Hummers and other vehicles of that ilk. With its 400 km range, it could make for a nice practical all-purpose rural vehicle.

So I'm curious, and if I may ask, dans quelle région de la belle France résidez-vous?
IIRC VW had an electric Golf available (only in CA) for about $27 month.

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #102,284 of 150,605
Schiit that can't be moved with bran can be a real problem...I can understand the reluctance to introduce more into the channel...

Or:

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #102,285 of 150,605
Oh, no I do so disagree!!
I loved my Citroen CS estate! My dad preferred Puegeot cars and they were reliable and did high mileage. As for aircraft, how could you not regard Concorde as amongst - if not THE - most gorgeous aircraft ever built? Those YT crap clickbait things are usually greeted by howls of derision in terms of their ideas of "odd", "ugly" or and other adjective.
Concorde, of course, but it was a partnership with British Aerospace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back