Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #102,286 of 150,563
There are lots of Americans who can only dream about leasing an EV city car for $38/month (using the current EUR-USD exchange rate). The availability of something like that would disrupt the entire industry in the States, and have a ripple effect around the world, given the size of our market.

I like the form-follows-function and sheer innovative aspects of the OLI, and the stylish way Citroën has pulled it off. Even my wife likes it, which is saying something because she hates the look of Hummers and other vehicles of that ilk. With its 400 km range, it could make for a nice practical all-purpose rural vehicle.

So I'm curious, and if I may ask, dans quelle région de la belle France résidez-vous?
Since you ask ... I'm in a small bastide town (a fortified town) in the Dordogne, on the border with the Charente (SW France). About 1.5 hrs east of Bordeaux and 1 hour north of Bergerac.

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #102,287 of 150,563
Ok Schiit friends. With $600 to spend for a Silver Schiit PreAmp which Preamp? Freya S or Lyr+.

My system now is Gungnir MB with Unison (A1), Schiit Sys to old B&K Amp with monitor audio studio speakers.

I really like the idea of Lyr+ with a single tube to roll. Or SS operation. (I already have a Tung Sol 6SN7 tube. ) the other part of me really wants to try Balanced. I know for a fact that I get a lot of rf interference in the room from a local radio tower. I use well shielded rca cables. I'm wondering if any improvements could be had.

Freya+ really concerns me with long term tube costs. Quads of the tubes seem quite expensive. I guess a quad of tye Lisst tubes isn't so bad, but if that's the plan I'm back to freya s.

What do you all think? I have a tube integrated that I Love, but it struggles with the speakers that I love more.
I love the connectivity flexibility that the Freya S has. The sound quality is great too. I liked it so much that I have two of them. I have an A1 Gumby connected to to one balanced, and in another system I have a Modi Multibit, and in both cases, I really the like pairing. Schiit's headphone amps work great as single input preamps. I've used a Vali 2, a Magnius, and a Valhalla 2 that way to great results.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #102,289 of 150,563
Right now, I think that I would feel more comfortable flying on a new Airbus than a new Boeing Aircraft
The 737 Max fiasco did not provide confidence, that's for sure ... maybe I was a bit harsh on French engineering !! :thinking:

EDIT: FOCAL headphones and speakers are superb

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #102,290 of 150,563
Right now, I think that I would feel more comfortable flying on a new Airbus than a new Boeing Aircraft
I respectfully disagree. Each company's jets have issues, to be sure, but I'm much happier on a Boeing.
Having said that, the 737 cockpit is, from an ergonomic standpoint, the worst narrow body jet available.
From a passenger standpoint, the comfort level is highly dependent on how the airline configures the cabin.

The 737 Max fiasco did not provide confidence, that's for sure ... maybe I was a bit harsh on French engineering !! :thinking:
The Air France 447 crash didn't inspire much confidence, either.
I fly 737s for a living so yeah, I'm biased :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #102,291 of 150,563
The Alison Krauss/Robert Plant albums aren't too shabby either. I think that I like their first album better, but the second one is good too.
I love them both. They are quite different, in my amateur opinion.

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #102,292 of 150,563
I love the connectivity flexibility that the Freya S has. The sound quality is great too.
I had mine as the meeting point for 2 DACs. I just simplified to one DAC, but I still use it as the main volume control. It connects to a Goldpoint output switcher, thence to my tube (DNA Stellaris) and solid-state (ecp DSHA-3F) headphone amps. I set the volume pots on the amps to 100%, and I use the Freya volume control. It all sounds great, and the volume remote is very convenient.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #102,293 of 150,563
Stumbled on this... Citroën FTW :beerchug:

Citroen.jpg

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #102,294 of 150,563
Stumbled on this... Citroën FTW :beerchug:

Humor helps when the car you are selling looks like that. :ksc75smile: I am reminded of Car Talk, this being a Saturday morning and all.

How do you get spare parts for a Fiat?
Just follow another one around.

What's the difference between a Fiat and a Jehovah's Witness?
You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness.

When should you do the first oil change on a Fiat?
When it gets to 50,000 miles, or in other words, never.

Have you seen the latest Fiat anti-theft device?
They enlarged the logo.

What occupies the last six pages of the Fiat owner's manual?
The bus and train timetables.

How can you get a Fiat to do 60 miles an hour?
Push it over a cliff.

A friend went to a dealer the other day and said, "I'd like a gas cap for my Fiat."
The dealer replied, "Okay. Sounds like a fair trade."

How do you make a Fiat go faster?
Tell the tow truck driver to speed up.

What do you call a Fiat on a hilltop?
A miracle.

Two Fiats on a hilltop?
Science fiction.

Three Fiats on a hilltop?
A funny place to build a Fiat factory.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #102,295 of 150,563
Nov 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #102,296 of 150,563
Concorde, of course, but it was a partnership with British Aerospace
Are you giving us Brits the design credit? :)

Elsewhere the Magister was listed - always loved them with Patrouille de France and the Belgian Red Devils. A friend has one here and I'd love to get a trip in that! I think the CAP series of aerobatic aircraft are quite pretty - and certainly effective. Of today's fighters, the Rafale has got looks too.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #102,298 of 150,563
Anyone here ever heard Heco Direkt speakers together with Aegir - or with any other Schiit setup for that matter? Curious!

Nov 5, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #102,299 of 150,563
I respectfully disagree. Each company's jets have issues, to be sure, but I'm much happier on a Boeing.
Having said that, the 737 cockpit is, from an ergonomic standpoint, the worst narrow body jet available.
From a passenger standpoint, the comfort level is highly dependent on how the airline configures the cabin.

The Air France 447 crash didn't inspire much confidence, either.
I fly 737s for a living so yeah, I'm biased :smile_phones:
A friend, an Alaska captain, is getting much teasing about his transition from Airbus to Boeing. He shared a pic of the sim recently and I asked him if he was doing the 'Balancing my meal on my knee' conversion training. For some reason he didn't reply.
I have friends who did and do fly both company's machines. Those reared (or successfully converted) on Airbus seem reluctant to move off them. But both camps are vociferous in the support for "their" brand.
Interesting that you cite AF447, I've always used that as an exemplar of pilot training/expertise/flying skill. To counter, of course, we have the Atlas Air which was a 767, but again - IMHO - little to do with the aircraft and all about the pilot(s).

Nov 5, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #102,300 of 150,563
Humor helps when the car you are selling looks like that. :ksc75smile: I am reminded of Car Talk, this being a Saturday morning and all.

How do you get spare parts for a Fiat?
Just follow another one around.

What's the difference between a Fiat and a Jehovah's Witness?
You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness.

When should you do the first oil change on a Fiat?
When it gets to 50,000 miles, or in other words, never.

Have you seen the latest Fiat anti-theft device?
They enlarged the logo.

What occupies the last six pages of the Fiat owner's manual?
The bus and train timetables.

How can you get a Fiat to do 60 miles an hour?
Push it over a cliff.

A friend went to a dealer the other day and said, "I'd like a gas cap for my Fiat."
The dealer replied, "Okay. Sounds like a fair trade."

How do you make a Fiat go faster?
Tell the tow truck driver to speed up.

What do you call a Fiat on a hilltop?
A miracle.

Two Fiats on a hilltop?
Science fiction.

Three Fiats on a hilltop?
A funny place to build a Fiat factory.
In the UK it was the Yugo that was the but of many jokes. Fiat, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back