Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 2, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #102,226 of 150,605
Oh, it's not manual in that sense, though I do still enjoy a stick - that's really all there was (unless you were very rich) when I learned. We have one of each here. No, this one in manual doesn't upshift (oddly, it will downshift) until the paddle is flicked. After having allowed the car to shift for a year or so (but selecting the mode that dictates how and when the shift happens) I was "trained" in that mode and simply put my foot down - hard. This is a surprisingly low revving V8 - it's fascinating to watch the amber and red limit line climb from cold as the oil warms up - the "music" was good and I was focussed elsewhere. That was really the point of the exercise, it's very different driving in M. I'd argue that you haven't lived until you have thrashed a car with a dual clutch transmission!!!

Cheers
Agree. The shifts are nearly instantaneous. My ‘16 S5 (last of the superchargers), is far too much fun (and with software and a different supercharger pulley, more fun than I need…)!

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #102,227 of 150,605
To review:

In Heaven -
The French are the cooks
The Germans are the engineers
The British are the waiters
The Swiss are the diplomats
The Italians are the lovers

In Hell -
The British are the cooks
The French are the waiters
The Italians are the engineers
The Germans are the diplomats
The Swiss are the lovers

Or something to that effect...
Zut alors ! ... ze French are ALWAYS 'chefs' !!

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #102,232 of 150,605
So my college lecturer back in the day had the V8 Stag. He told us a story that may or may not be true, that the Triumph V8 was actually 2 4 cylinder engines cobbled together. Done to save cost. Now, as it was British Leyland, questionable engineering decisions like that are somewhat believable.
Pontiac also took half of their popular 389 and created their "Trophy" four cylinder - so I can see it happening in reverse.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #102,233 of 150,605
I'm embarrassed to say, that it isn't Alison Kraus, but Mark and Emmy Lou Harris. My memory seems to be a bit off after that COVID, and perhaps 68 years on the planet. Sorry, I apologize to ALL, and especially to you, Daniel.......

Leo
No Worries! But that would be a great album....Alison & Mark. I'll listen to Mark & Emmylou anyway.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #102,234 of 150,605
We have no BBQ, I drive to Kansas City or Nashville for it!! You cannot say Bleah to that which does not exist.🤪 We have limestone and an occasional cornfield and basketball. Watch Hoosiers the movie!! Did you see BBQ?? Of course not, geesh!
Nashville, Indiana, is very nice.

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #102,235 of 150,605
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #102,236 of 150,605
I know it well, I helped a friend start a business there and ran it for him till we hired a new manager.
Nice. We used to visit there, to shop, and also Brown County State Park which is a great place for hikes in the woods. :)

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #102,237 of 150,605
Nice. We used to visit there, to shop, and also Brown County State Park which is a great place for hikes in the woods. :)
I am not far from two state parks as well as plenty of walking trails. I now have time to exercise more and hope to be down to 210 soon.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #102,239 of 150,605
V
Half speed vinyl mastering (like DECCA did it in the old days)

Thanks very much for posting this video @wout31

Fascinating stuff.

I have bought several half-speed mastered vinyl albums in the past few months.

The albums were:

Thick as a Brick Jethro Tull (Steven Wilson Remix)
The Best of Roxy Music (Double album)
Sticky Fingers The Stones
Exile on Main St The Stones
Fire and Water Free
Solid Air John Martyn.

So far, I have only listened to the first three albums.
Thick as a Brick sounds fantastic, as does The Best of Roxy Music.

Sticky Fingers was a huge disappointment; in my opinion it is vastly inferior to my CD.
I do not have high hopes for 'Exile on Main St' which is on the same record label.
I will do more research before buying any half-speed masters in future!

'Fire and Water' and 'Solid Air' are both pretty rare half-speed masters, and as a result, pretty expensive.
I managed to find two mint, unopened, copies.
Both albums received rave reviews about the sound quality, so I hope that it will only be the Stones albums which disappoint...

The remastering on both of these albums was done by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios.
He has also produced a video about half-speed mastering:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #102,240 of 150,605
V

Thanks very much for posting this video @wout31

Fascinating stuff.

I have bought several half-speed mastered vinyl albums in the past few months.

The albums were:

Thick as a Brick Jethro Tull (Steven Wilson Remix)
The Best of Roxy Music (Double album)
Sticky Fingers The Stones
Exile on Main St The Stones
Fire and Water Free
Solid Air John Martyn.

So far, I have only listened to the first three albums.
Thick as a Brick sounds fantastic, as does The Best of Roxy Music.

Sticky Fingers was a huge disappointment; in my opinion it is vastly inferior to my CD.
I do not have high hopes for 'Exile on Main St' which is on the same record label.
I will do more research before buying any half-speed masters in future!

'Fire and Water' and 'Solid Air' are both pretty rare half-speed masters, and as a result, pretty expensive.
I managed to find two mint, unopened, copies.
Both albums received rave reviews about the sound quality, so I hope that it will only be the Stones albums which disappoint...

The remastering on both of these albums was done by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios.
He has also produced a video about half-speed mastering:

Understand. To be fair... not every band can keep their groove on when playing an octave lower and half tempo. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back