Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #102,121 of 150,692
I wonder what Mike and Dave's takes would be on CD/SACD hybrids in Urd, whether they feel like the SACD layer might negatively influence the read quality of the Red Book layer.
My utterly naive guess would be that any potential reflective/refractive interference or any focus issues from the SACD layer shouldn't be anything a good drive's error correction wouldn't be able to handle. But if I wanted some random opinion from some half-wit on the interwebs such as myself, I could just google it. So I'd rather hear it from the horses' mouths. 😁

Well, since you can't really mix DSD, I'd assume (for my credentials on the matter; see above) that everything that wasn't recorded directly to DSD will have taken that PCM detour.
I know that Octave Records has been working on a way to mix DSD for a little while, but I don't know how far they've come with it. Since we all know how particular Paul is about DSD, it's pretty safe to assume that anything Octave Records has been putting out in DSD has in fact been recorded directly to DSD.
But most stuff you can buy has probably been piped through the standard mixing and mastering process at some point, which would mean it's been converted to PCM and back at least once during that process.

The Berlin Philharmonics sell SACD recordings through their own label, and they very much pride themselves for their attention to detail during recording and mastering. But even with these guys, and even with me being a hopeless Berlin Phil fanboy, I sincerely doubt that their recordings are DSD all the way from microphone to master.

For stuff like rock or pop that pretty much must be mixed before it can be mastered?

Well…

1667245909177.jpeg

Or to put it differently: SACD/DSD seems to be a nifty thing in theory, but in the real world that's dominated by PCM (and PCM-based studio and production pipelines), Urd + Yggy should probably get you some pretty decent results.

Mike and Jason can sometimes appear a bit abrasive with their refreshingly direct yet a bit reductionist "because it's not worth the effort"-style answers to questions like "why don't you guys support DSD?!"
But then you start looking into things in a bit more detail and you eventually figure out for yourself that it is, in fact, not worth the effort. Turns out: They do know their Schiit. Who knew?! 😅

I never heard them say that other audio formats are not worth the effort.

My understanding is they do not believe any proprietary software has performed well enough to relieve the problem of needing a license to listen to your own property.

I suspect they will never think any performance benefit is worth paying any vendor a required fee.

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #102,123 of 150,692
Can I move a choke from the yggy to the bifrost?
Sure! It be like:

062319-1976-AMC-Gremlin-X-454-V8-1-630x390.jpg

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #102,124 of 150,692
I promise to keep it just short of "@ArmchairPhilosopher length", Les. <g>

Agreed, and Xuanqian and his team have been very helpful; I originally upgraded from an Aries Mini to the G1 and he gave me 100% of the MSRP of the Mini against the new (at the time) G1. The software... well, it's gotten better, and is quite stable now on iOS16. For a while there, it was the weak link in the AURALiC experience, at least for me.

I totally get that.

OK, Les - you've convinced me to try again... I will procure a decent 75 ohm AES/EBU cable and re-try the AES output. :) But when Urd is here, I plan to use USB and discover what Unison is all about. With Urd acting as a Unison hub, the Urd-to-Yggy USB connection should be the best way to go... can't wait to try it!

/ds
Thanks for all the comments @dstrimbu , including your experiences with Auralic.
It is great to hear that they have looked after you so well.

With regard to AES/EBU cable, I believe you need 110 ohm impedance for digital connection (not 75 ohm).

It is all a bit confusing, as the same XLR plugs can be used for analogue and digital connections

From what I have read, an AES/EBU 110 ohm cable will work fine when carrying an analogue signal, but the same cannot be said for a 75 ohm balanced analogue cable used for digital.

I use both types of cable; a 110 ohm AES/EBU cable to connect my CD transport to Yggy, and 75 ohm balanced XLR cables from Yggy to Freya S, and Freya S to active speakers.

I bought inexpensive balanced 75 ohm XLR cables, with Neutrik connectors, but spent a bit more on the 110 ohm AES/EBU cable.
My loudspeaker manufacturer (ATC) says that basic balanced microphone cable, provided it is well made, is perfectly adequate for analogue and is what most recording studios use, so it's certainly good enough for me!

I use DH Labs' D-110 Silver Sonic cable for digital connection, after it was recommended by a forum member @the finisher
https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-110/
I am very pleased with it.

I also use a DH Labs BNC cable (D-750) to connect my streamer to Yggy
https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-750/

Good luck!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #102,125 of 150,692
Good products, I have several DH digital and analog cables.

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #102,126 of 150,692
I've thought for some time I need to thank Paladin79 for the quote at the bottom of his posts:

"Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder.
Anthony Burgess

If you quote someone's post, the little ditties members add at the bottom are not included, hence this clumsy thank you. BTW, the American 1960's version of this novella did not include the final chapter. I read the novella before the movie. The most recent US press includes the full version.
So.. thank you!

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #102,127 of 150,692
I've thought for some time I need to thank Paladin79 for the quote at the bottom of his posts:

"Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. The trombones crunched redgold under my bed, and behind my gulliver the trumpets three-wise silverflamed, and there by the door the timps rolling through my guts and out again crunched like candy thunder.
Anthony Burgess

If you quote someone's post, the little ditties members add at the bottom are not included, hence this clumsy thank you. BTW, the American 1960's version of this novella did not include the final chapter. I read the novella before the movie. The most recent US press includes the full version.
So.. thank you!
Great book and great movie. I own both versions of the book. I am also a fan of Stanley Kubrick.😜

And thank you for the kind words.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #102,128 of 150,692
Thanks for all the comments @dstrimbu , including your experiences with Auralic.
It is great to hear that they have looked after you so well.

With regard to AES/EBU cable, I believe you need 110 ohm impedance for digital connection (not 75 ohm).

It is all a bit confusing, as the same XLR plugs an be used for analogue and digital connections

From what I have read, an AES/EBU 110 ohm cable will work fine when carrying an analogue signal, but the same cannot be said for a 75 ohm balanced analogue cable used for digital.

I use both types of cable; a 110 ohm AES/EBU cable to connect my CD transport to Yggy, and 75 ohm balanced XLR cables from Yggy to Freya S, and Freya S to active speakers.

I bought inexpensive balanced 75 ohm XLR cables, with Neutrik connectors, but spent a bit more on the 110 ohm AES/EBU cable.
My loudspeaker manufacturer (ATC) says that basic balanced microphone cable, provided it is well made, is perfectly adequate for analogue and is what most recording studios use, so it's certainly good enough for me!

I use DH Labs' D-110 Silver Sonic cable for digital connection, after it was recommended by a forum member @the finisher
https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-110/
I am very pleased with it.

I also use a DH Labs BNC cable (D-750) to connect my streamer to Yggy
https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-750/

Good luck!
You are certainly correct about the impedance. I seem to recall that impedance is a non-factor under one meter but I recall that from another lifetime, now I mostly make sawdust.😁

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #102,129 of 150,692
And, there is no left/right AES/EBU, a single cable carries both channels of information. Only 1 cable is used, which saves some money and DH priced their digital cables fairly from my experience and are made with top notch materials and fabrication.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #102,130 of 150,692
I've been to many and I find them overrated.

Most venues have terrible acoustics.

Real music halls are much better, but even then you need everything to be setup right for the sound to be good (i.e., not too loud!, good equipment being used with settings set properly, etc.).

90% of the time, I find music sounds better at home.
Agreed! And most of the time sound reinforcement is also involved.

If you are ever in Seattle, visit Benaroya Hall
1667330613978.png

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #102,131 of 150,692
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #102,132 of 150,692
Legalizing marijuana may not have been such a good idea, this got likes indicating 100% marijuana use at head fi.
It is the best audio tweak now legally available.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #102,135 of 150,692
It is the best audio tweak now legally available.
Legally available in some parts of the US, pending in Indiana right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back