Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #99,271 of 151,702
I am considering setting up two turntables to complete my audio system, I would consider using maple on a custom plinth I will be making. :ksc75smile:

For when Finnegan has friends over?

FlatWetAlbertosaurus-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #99,272 of 151,702
For when Finnegan has friends over?

FlatWetAlbertosaurus-max-1mb.gif
Ok I may need a third turntable just for cats. :ksc75smile:

Over 40 years ago I went to an auction for new audio gear when a local seller went out of business. I have some items stored away that I never touched, among them is one of these.

1662469247428.png

It never had a tonearm mounted; I kept putting off dealing with it but in retirement it will be fun to take the time. The Pioneer PLC-590. It will be my direct drive turntable. Most likely I will just use an SME 3009 tonearm provided all is still well. Being in the business, I had a very early CD player so records went by the wayside for me for some time but I plan to refocus.

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #99,273 of 151,702
I like this one because I can use it for other purposes, cleaning watch parts, glasses, jewelry, and metal.

I am considering setting up two turntables to complete my audio system, I would consider using maple on a custom plinth I will be making. :ksc75smile:

One turntable would be for listening to records after cleaning (direct drive), then on to a more serious belt drive turntable when I know they are suitable. I have a lot of older records stored from the 60's and 70's that may not make the grade. I also bought large lots of them at auctions and a thorough cleaning will help me know their true condition.
I really enjoy running two turntables. It gives you that option of having two different flavors. Different LP’s sound better on one table or the other, and it’s not always the one that I would have guessed beforehand.

That Pioneer looks very interesting!

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #99,275 of 151,702
I really enjoy running two turntables. It gives you that option of having two different flavors. Different LP’s sound better on one table or the other, and it’s not always the one that I would have guessed beforehand.

Until I get that going I have an Hitachi direct drive I can use, I have records I have never heard before so I am going to be cautious in how I go through them and which stylus and cartridge comes into play. :ksc75smile: I have some vintage Shure, Grado, and Pickering cartridges somewhere amongst my electronics that I paid little for, some of those may get the first run at some of the records.

There was a time I could buy any Pioneer product for half price, I can recall a platter that sold for $500 in the late seventies, that was a lot of money back then. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #99,276 of 151,702
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #99,277 of 151,702

Don't forget the microphone... :sunglasses:

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #99,278 of 151,702

Over 40 years ago I went to an auction for new audio gear when a local seller went out of business. I have some items stored away that I never touched, among them is one of these.

1662469247428.png

It never had a tonearm mounted; I kept putting off dealing with it but in retirement it will be fun to take the time. The Pioneer PLC-590. It will be my direct drive turntable. Most likely I will just use an SME 3009 tonearm provided all is still well. Being in the business, I had a very early CD player so records went by the wayside for me for some time but I plan to refocus.
VU meter! :scream::scream::scream:... and direct drive? ORT is gonna be mighty jealous.

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #99,279 of 151,702
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #99,280 of 151,702
VU meter! :scream::scream::scream:... and direct drive? ORT is gonna be mighty jealous.
I want to say it helps with speed control but I do not recall opening the box to read the manual lol. At the time I was more interested in some Linn gear, most of that is long gone.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #99,282 of 151,702
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #99,283 of 151,702

When I had turntables, I did this...

Had a Thorens 125 belt drive and a Denon ??? direct drive with SME & Grace tonearms and a variety of cartridges over the years (Decca, Denon, etc.). Definitely enjoyed the flexibility of having two TTs!

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #99,284 of 151,702
Well, I have now been fully programmed by Schiit. I recently purchased a small Aiyima Class D power amp to drive my desktop speakers and while it has a power switch on the front, I am constantly reaching behind it to power it off. Damn you, Jason!!!! :unamused:
Is it the one with twiin tubes and a single VU Meter?
If so, I have the Douk ($129.99!) version and is works just fine.:beerchug:

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #99,285 of 151,702

1662469247428.png

Beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back