Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #98,266 of 149,685
images.jpg
= LISST

Aug 23, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #98,267 of 149,685
I like listening to all the songs in the original order. I realize that streaming could do this but putting the CD in the tray and letting the artist dictate seems better to me. I also realize that the artist did not always chose, but the artist was alive and could have objected. So the original album order for me. Even if I do not like an individual song.
I do this too, and take it a step further ... now with Qobuz, in many cases, all of a band's studio albums are available. So I've created playlists that cover the entire body of the band's work. That was very interesting for The Black Keys, who literally started in a basement recording on an 8-track tape. To hear the progression of their music is cool. The same with Snarky Puppy. And ... I just did the same thing with Queen, and that will be a fun journey. I'm just not at all into random playlists. YMMV as always. :)

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #98,268 of 149,685
I do this too, and take it a step further ... now with Qobuz, in many cases, all of a band's studio albums are available. So I've created playlists that cover the entire body of the band's work. That was very interesting for The Black Keys, who literally started in a basement recording on an 8-track tape. To hear the progression of their music is cool. The same with Snarky Puppy. And ... I just did the same thing with Queen, and that will be a fun journey. I'm just not at all into random playlists. YMMV as always. :)
I also almost always list to albums, from 1st song to last.

But with Qobuz via Roon, I have the display set to show albums for an artist in order of release date. Then if I wanted to play them all in chrono order, I just do "Play Now" for the 1st, and "Queue" for the rest that I want to hear. Just did that, for example, for Jazz Funk Soul, a group I've just discovered. Took maybe 8 seconds.

I wouldn't make a Playlist for this, because with all the music choices on streaming services these days, I probably won't live long enough to circle around to play this particular sequence of 4 albums ever again. I'll revisit some that I like best, but most likely one at a time.

And browsing a list of my playlists would just show me what I have (almost for sure) listened to before. I prefer to be presented with a list of choices that also shows me what I have NOT listened to yet.

So other than a couple for demo/test tracks, I have no saved Roon playlists for regular listening ... they'd just be clutter.

HTH. YMMV. We all have to figure out what works best for each of us.

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #98,269 of 149,685

But with Qobuz via Roon, I have the display set to show albums for an artist in order of release date. Then if I wanted to play them all in chrono order, I just do "Play Now" for the 1st, and "Queue" for the rest that I want to hear. Just did that, for example, for Jazz Funk Soul, a group I've just discovered. Took maybe 8 seconds.

I wouldn't make a Playlist for this, because with all the music choices on streaming services these days, I probably won't live long enough to circle around to play this particular sequence of 4 albums ever again. I'll revisit some that I like best, but most likely one at a time.

And browsing a list of my playlists would just show me what I have (almost for sure) listened to before. I prefer to be presented with a list of choices that also shows me what I have NOT listened to yet.

So other than a couple for demo/test tracks, I have no saved Roon playlists for regular listening ... they'd just be clutter.

So true...I tend to listen based on what I'm in the mood for and what cans I have on at the time.

If it's Senn 6XX's then I'll often just hit Shuffle to my entire library and see where it takes me...love the fact that I can wear these cans for extended sessions and 'just enjoy'! :beerchug:

If it's 8XX's, then I'll lean toward jazz/classical, Z1Rs...bass heavier stuff, Electrostats...acoustic/vocalists, Grados...rock, etc.

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #98,270 of 149,685

Thanks for the ideas.

Aug 23, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #98,271 of 149,685
I'm a contrarian, I seldom listen to full albums. My favorite listening mode is to use Roon's shuffle feature, or sometimes the Radio function. I like random segues from Drive By Truckers to Cannibal Corps to Bette Midler. I'm just weird that way. :)

Aug 23, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #98,272 of 149,685
Cute little guys - waiting for some time to switch over and hear what they sound like!
1661255642246.png
Their beds are too big. Time to do like ol' Procrustes and stretch them into "real" tubes :)

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #98,273 of 149,685
I'm a contrarian, I seldom listen to full albums. My favorite listening mode is to use Roon's shuffle feature, or sometimes the Radio function. I like random segues from Drive By Truckers to Cannibal Corps to Bette Midler. I'm just weird that way. :)
That’s OK too!

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #98,274 of 149,685
One nice thing I've noticed about Roon's shuffle play is they do a decent job of volume matching each subsequent selection (I don't use DSP). On my own, I'll sometimes pick something that has me diving for the volume control one way or the other!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #98,275 of 149,685
It is New Vidar Day. The weight is very satisfying, I do not need a pair of Tyrs. (I’m not a power user.) Drum hits sound different than my tube amps. It will take me a while to develop complete opinions. First impressions are very good.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #98,276 of 149,685
So how does it work ... do you enter an artist or a music genre and just let Roon populate the playlist?

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #98,277 of 149,685

I think a lot people like shuffle...it's a great feature!

That said, I've had some less than pleasant experiences when the cans don't 'like' the next song --- especially if the mastering was poor and I had the volume at 11 for the previous song. :wink:

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #98,278 of 149,685
Thanks again to @bcowen, @DACattack and others, who recommended trying a record cleaning machine to reduce surface noise on old vinyl.

My new Project VC-S2 ALU was delivered today, and this evening I cleaned the used copy of CSN&Y’s Deja Vu which I bought recently.

The results were astonishing!

Almost all surface noise has now gone.

I must admit I was very sceptical, so it has been a very pleasant surprise; even more remarkable as it was achieved without @bcowen’s ‘secret sauce’ :beyersmile:

Great advice. :relaxed:

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #98,279 of 149,685
Hey all,

Just a quick update or two, as I get ready to head back to Corpus Christi:

1. Lyr+ is getting close!
As soon as we get the tube covers, we'll start shipping. That's most likely next week. They'll be available in black and silver. Black is $599. Silver costs $30 more, and a new-production Tung Sol tube adds $60. Yes, tubes are expensive these days. Them's the breaks. Or you can use the tube cover, which covers up the big hole in the chassis, and forget about using a tube for a while. Or forever. See photo taken shortly after finishing up production testing on the APx.

2. You'll soon be able to buy the dumbest-named product from us, ever. As in, Vali 2++. Yes, Vali 2 Plus Plus. Yes, I know it's stupid. We were gonna go to just Vali Plus, but the chassis still have Vali 2 screened on the front and back. So Vali 2++. Why are we stupid like this? Because we need to switch tube types. It looks like we've literally used up every 6BZ7 on the planet. So, while Vali 2 and Vali 2+ used 6BZ7 (or 6922/ECC88/6DJ8, etc), Vali 2++ uses 6N3P (or 5670/2C51/396A). These tubes have a different pinout, but they're otherwise quite comparable to the 6BZ7 family. If you already have a Vali 2+, there's no need to sidegrade, unless you have a bunch of 5670/2C51/6N3P tubes, or if you want to go full boat crazy and get a WE 396A, which costs more than Vali 2++. Vali 2++ stays at $149. Expect to see it in a week or two.

3. Don't be surprised to see an email or two from us. As we've ramped up production, we can start reminding people that we exist, instead of hiding under the bridge like trolls, hoping nobody finds out how deep in backorder we are. Don't worry, it won't be like just-got-6-emails-the-same-day-after-I-bought-something-and-before-I-received-it insanity. Maybe once a month. Maybe. Depends on parts. Backorders aren't vanquished. Nor are parts shortages. The inexpensive True Multibit products (Modi Multibit 2 and the True Multibit Unison card) are now held up officially to June/July. That's when we're supposed to get the DSPs now. Except now our purchasing partner is making hopeful noises about moving things up, so we'll see. In the meantime, don't be surprised if Bifrost, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil move to TI DSPs. If you want to argue about how the same algorithm run by two different DSPs sound, I suggest you come to a show and talk to Dave. I'll just shake my head and walk away.

And that's about it! I'll probably do a really short and stupid chapter on Vali 2 +Plus+Plus++ when it hits, and, if all goes well, we'll have something bigger in about a month, then a couple of really interesting things, and one completely bonkers idea. Then it's 2023.

All the best,
Jason

IMG_2718.jpg

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #98,280 of 149,685
1. Lyr+ is getting close! As soon as we get the tube covers, we'll start shipping. That's most likely next week.
Awesome!!! Next week I'll be climbing Kilimanjaro - please try not to sell out before I get back :)

Also; what is that board on your bench to the right of the Lyr+? Curious....
1661294038257.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back