Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #98,281 of 151,783
The Pro-Ject looks very nice! Should do the job quite well. Once you use up the cleaning fluid that comes with it, let me know and I can point you to some DIY formulas that work as well as the commercial solutions for far less money.
And yet you use commercially made tubes?

I'm a contrarian, I seldom listen to full albums. My favorite listening mode is to use Roon's shuffle feature, or sometimes the Radio function. I like random segues from Drive By Truckers to Cannibal Corps to Bette Midler. I'm just weird that way. :)
Since you said it first, I guess that makes me a conformist. I also generally shuffle, it's one of the features of having a digital library I find I like best. The "playlist" I use most is a database query of my entire library returning all tracks of any genre rated four or five stars, remove any track played in the last thirty days then shuffle everything. Go! Like you, I often hear something like Opeth, then Wayne Shorter, then Led Zeppelin, then Beethoven, then...

1. Lyr+ is getting close! As soon as we get the tube covers, we'll start shipping. That's most likely next week.

2. You'll soon be able to buy the dumbest-named product from us, ever. As in, Vali 2++. Yes, Vali 2 Plus Plus. Yes, I know it's stupid. We were gonna go to just Vali Plus, but the chassis still have Vali 2 screened on the front and back. So Vali 2++.
What the heck is this? A prediction and a date? Is the world ending?

I think this is a missed revenue opportunity. Either new casework for the new tube, or re-silk screen the existing cases and voila! "Same great amp! Great new look!" Price is now $199. Works for soft drink and snack food companies the world over.

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #98,282 of 151,783
I think a lot people like shuffle...it's a great feature!

That said, I've had some less than pleasant experiences when the cans don't 'like' the next song --- especially if the mastering was poor and I had the volume at 11 for the previous song. :wink:
I like this feature too, but wish, wish, wish it really was random. It plays the same music over and over, ignoring much of the (admittedly very large) playlist.

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #98,283 of 151,783
2. You'll soon be able to buy the dumbest-named product from us, ever. As in, Vali 2++. Yes, Vali 2 Plus Plus. Yes, I know it's stupid. We were gonna go to just Vali Plus, but the chassis still have Vali 2 screened on the front and back. So Vali 2++. Why are we stupid like this? Because we need to switch tube types. It looks like we've literally used up every 6BZ7 on the planet. So, while Vali 2 and Vali 2+ used 6BZ7 (or 6922/ECC88/6DJ8, etc), Vali 2++ uses 6N3P (or 5670/2C51/396A). These tubes have a different pinout, but they're otherwise quite comparable to the 6BZ7 family. If you already have a Vali 2+, there's no need to sidegrade, unless you have a bunch of 5670/2C51/6N3P tubes, or if you want to go full boat crazy and get a WE 396A, which costs more than Vali 2++. Vali 2++ stays at $149. Expect to see it in a week or two.

Yessssss!!!! This is exactly what I've always wanted! A Vali amp that can use those cute wittle 5670/2C51/396A tubes! Sonically I'm sure it will still sound great, but aesthetically, I think the Vali 2++ will look soooo much better with a smaller tube. It may have a stupid as Schiit name (seriously? that's what you're calling it?), but it's a Day One purchase for me for sure! :grin:

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #98,284 of 151,783
Awesome!!! Next week I'll be climbing Kilimanjaro - please try not to sell out before I get back :)

Also; what is that board on your bench to the right of the Lyr+? Curious....
1661294038257.png
It's a new 10W circlotron amp for $69. Good job catching it!

Er, well, no. Seriously, it's a switchable load for testing. Allows us to quickly check 300 ohm, 32 ohm, no load balanced and single ended. Pretty boring.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #98,285 of 151,783
It's a new 10W circlotron amp for $69. Good job catching it!

Er, well, no. Seriously, it's a switchable load for testing. Allows us to quickly check 300 ohm, 32 ohm, no load balanced and single ended. Pretty boring.
not the 50Wpc class D amp with six side-mounted power switches? :ksc75smile:

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #98,286 of 151,783
I'm a contrarian, I seldom listen to full albums. My favorite listening mode is to use Roon's shuffle feature, or sometimes the Radio function. I like random segues from Drive By Truckers to Cannibal Corps to Bette Midler. I'm just weird that way. :)
Can anyone join the corps to eat a corpse? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for the rest, in all my portable players and automobile, shuffle is where it's at.

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #98,288 of 151,783
Can anyone join the corps to eat a corpse? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for the rest, in all my portable players and automobile, shuffle is where it's at.
have you considered changing your head-fi user name to roadkillbbqcykler? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(i pondered asking this question for a bit, as your response might be something like "been there done that")

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #98,289 of 151,783
You'll soon be able to buy the dumbest-named product from us, ever. As in, Vali 2++.

You could have named it Vali of the Dolls, that would be dumber.

:wink:

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #98,290 of 151,783
Or Vali 2+²... :smirk:

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #98,291 of 151,783
Hey all,

Just a quick update or two, as I get ready to head back to Corpus Christi:

1. Lyr+ is getting close! As soon as we get the tube covers, we'll start shipping. That's most likely next week. They'll be available in black and silver. Black is $599. Silver costs $30 more, and a new-production Tung Sol tube adds $60. Yes, tubes are expensive these days. Them's the breaks. Or you can use the tube cover, which covers up the big hole in the chassis, and forget about using a tube for a while. Or forever. See photo taken shortly after finishing up production testing on the APx.

2. You'll soon be able to buy the dumbest-named product from us, ever. As in, Vali 2++. Yes, Vali 2 Plus Plus. Yes, I know it's stupid. We were gonna go to just Vali Plus, but the chassis still have Vali 2 screened on the front and back. So Vali 2++. Why are we stupid like this? Because we need to switch tube types. It looks like we've literally used up every 6BZ7 on the planet. So, while Vali 2 and Vali 2+ used 6BZ7 (or 6922/ECC88/6DJ8, etc), Vali 2++ uses 6N3P (or 5670/2C51/396A). These tubes have a different pinout, but they're otherwise quite comparable to the 6BZ7 family. If you already have a Vali 2+, there's no need to sidegrade, unless you have a bunch of 5670/2C51/6N3P tubes, or if you want to go full boat crazy and get a WE 396A, which costs more than Vali 2++. Vali 2++ stays at $149. Expect to see it in a week or two.

3. Don't be surprised to see an email or two from us. As we've ramped up production, we can start reminding people that we exist, instead of hiding under the bridge like trolls, hoping nobody finds out how deep in backorder we are. Don't worry, it won't be like just-got-6-emails-the-same-day-after-I-bought-something-and-before-I-received-it insanity. Maybe once a month. Maybe. Depends on parts. Backorders aren't vanquished. Nor are parts shortages. The inexpensive True Multibit products (Modi Multibit 2 and the True Multibit Unison card) are now held up officially to June/July. That's when we're supposed to get the DSPs now. Except now our purchasing partner is making hopeful noises about moving things up, so we'll see. In the meantime, don't be surprised if Bifrost, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil move to TI DSPs. If you want to argue about how the same algorithm run by two different DSPs sound, I suggest you come to a show and talk to Dave. I'll just shake my head and walk away.

And that's about it! I'll probably do a really short and stupid chapter on Vali 2 +Plus+Plus++ when it hits, and, if all goes well, we'll have something bigger in about a month, then a couple of really interesting things, and one completely bonkers idea. Then it's 2023.

All the best,
Jason

IMG_2718.jpg
Vali 2++?! Dumb?! Nah...Feeble?! Yes! One could lay claim to that being a unique name. Nah! Uniquer, if you will, than the logical choice. One that has your divine imagery! One that is vivid! Comprehensive! One that inspires...That has your company's sheer genius...Vali of the Toad® with TwiinTube® Power.

Yeah...I know. Your sixth sense is missing on this one. Worry not as mine is fast dying...

So then, I await the debut of Lyr+ or is that Lyr++ or LyrE = VoTT2?

Make mine in black with a tube that looks good. And point me in the direction of replacements like that Tennis Ball Tube or any other affordable but cool looking tube that works in there! I also look forward to the coming attractions from Schiit. After all, an enthusiast's reach must exceed his wallet or what's an ego for. :beerchug:

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #98,292 of 151,783
What bitrate does Yggy OG prefer?

I have changed up my config a bit; instead of an 0.5M AES/EBU connection between the AURALiC Aries G1 and the Yggy OG A2, I've switched to USB. Equipment moved in my rack(s) to facilitate shorter line-level interconnects, and I had a 2.0M Cardas Clear USB cable sitting idle, so I used it. Also, there is an empty spot atop rack "A" for Urd, whenever it arrives... the idea is that I will go USB from AURALiC to the Urd, and USB from Urd to Yggy.

The question: is Yggy happiest with an up-sampled signal from the AURALiC (e.g. 44.1khz to 176.4khz, 48khz to 192khz), or should I just skip the up-sampling and pass the source rate signal to Yggy?

I have tried no up-sampling, 2X up-sampling and 4X up-sampling. Honestly, 4X up-sampling sounds better to me, but I know that in theory it shouldn't make any difference.

Opinions welcomed, as I know that there are a lot of them here. :)

p.s. - I find that the AURALiC's filter profiles - precise, dynamic, balanced and smooth - make more difference than bitrate changes. But I could be fooling myself. <g>

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #98,293 of 151,783
What bitrate does Yggy OG prefer?

I have changed up my config a bit; instead of an 0.5M AES/EBU connection between the AURALiC Aries G1 and the Yggy OG A2, I've switched to USB. Equipment moved in my rack(s) to facilitate shorter line-level interconnects, and I had a 2.0M Cardas Clear USB cable sitting idle, so I used it. Also, there is an empty spot atop rack "A" for Urd, whenever it arrives... the idea is that I will go USB from AURALiC to the Urd, and USB from Urd to Yggy.

The question: is Yggy happiest with an up-sampled signal from the AURALiC (e.g. 44.1khz to 176.4khz, 48khz to 192khz), or should I just skip the up-sampling and pass the source rate signal to Yggy?

I have tried no up-sampling, 2X up-sampling and 4X up-sampling. Honestly, 4X up-sampling sounds better to me, but I know that in theory it shouldn't make any difference.

Opinions welcomed, as I know that there are a lot of them here. :)

p.s. - I find that the AURALiC's filter profiles - precise, dynamic, balanced and smooth - make more difference than bitrate changes. But I could be fooling myself. <g>
Skip upsampling.

Aug 23, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #98,294 of 151,783
I played around with upsampling and came to the same conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back