Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 4, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #97,576 of 150,834
Indeed. Schiit Audio is well known for selling products that are cheapest in their class.

FV has particular talents, but I would hardly call it a one trick pony. Right now it resides on my desktop and I don't see it losing it's spot anytime soon.

Mjolnir 2 is a great amplifier, right now however I'm more curious about Lyr +.
I'm amazed that you run a 10 tube amp in Florida. :thumbsup:

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #97,577 of 150,834
Alright.,..relax buddy. I simply asked a question of the group to see if someone else might have had that experience (which it seems they have). I received many "adult" conversation reply's. To those who wish just to offer non-constructive replies, please stop. I have many of Schiit's products and happy am with them and Jason's work. Thank you to all who have replied in kind
Take it easy, as you can see you are not the only frustrated…others have different frustrations and are not very good at controlling them.
To try to be on top of technology is, in my opinion, an impossible and crazy thing to do. To change your cell, TV, car or DAC every year is not only madness, but also an absurd way to waste your money.
Three years ago I decided to jump from my Modi to Bifrost MB and two months latter ( maybe less), Bifrost 2 was out, yes it was frustrating, but that is the way market works and I enjoyed my Bifrost during those three years and think is an incredible DAC, not as good as B2, but much better than the one I had. This coming weekend I’m supposed to receive the new Bifrost 2/64 and I’m sure will be great over my now extra-old Bifrost.
In these hobby it is good to wait for a new product if your plan is to upgrade just because you want to “upgrade” and not because you “need” it, like I’m doing now, if you wait a couple of years there is always a chance that the product is going to be discontinued soon( like happened to me three years ago).
My advice from my own experience, enjoy your Bifrost 2 and let this 2/64 pass, wait for next upgrade and if you feel you want it or need it, jump on it.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #97,578 of 150,834

Attachments

• IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #97,580 of 150,834
My original point as well. Whereas I did not purchase the Bifrost 2 days before (actually 2 months), I was inquiring due to the fact that my "new" Bifrost 2 will end up costing me more with card than getting a new one (699+300) 999 vs a 2/64 799. I was asking what the policy is for something like this. Was informed the 15 day return has passed...so sorry.

This also questions....what did they do with the old stock Bifrost 2...just add the card and call it a 2/64?
Well, you don't have to buy the upgrade. In fact I would wager your BF2 sounds just as good as when you bought it.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #97,581 of 150,834
Not gonna lie, I sometimes wish there was a separate forum for the off topic stuff, generational finger-pointing, politics, and self-serving rants and overreacting to questions. I'm hear to read about the gear and it's a slog trying to get through the rest.
There are sooooo many of those places to be found. Google is your friend. :slight_smile:
Pretty sure (and I did come up with the topic map sine wave) that this particular thread is NOT about the gear. Its a story, started by Schiit and continued on by all contributors here. Lot's of discussions and viewpoints, like a bunch of friends over a campfire (Not sure if it's a NC or TX campfire, but whatever), sipping an adult beverage, and enjoying each others company, camaraderie, viewpoints etc.

Gear is sometimes on topic, but is generally discussed elsewhere :)

Of course, I could be wrong.

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #97,582 of 150,834
Don't forget that the prime reason for the Bifrost "redesign" was the inability to obtain timely delivery of the Analog Devices DAC chips. Moving to the TI chips allowed (or required) a different design topology....
I thought it was the analog devices dsp chips, not the dac chips, AD keeps moving back the delivery date for almost 2 years now?
My original point as well. Whereas I did not purchase the Bifrost 2 days before (actually 2 months), I was inquiring due to the fact that my "new" Bifrost 2 will end up costing me more with card than getting a new one (699+300) 999 vs a 2/64 799. I was asking what the policy is for something like this. Was informed the 15 day return has passed...so sorry.

This also questions....what did they do with the old stock Bifrost 2...just add the card and call it a 2/64?
It's the same box, they just sold out the BF2 cards (saving enough for RMA?) first. I wonder how much stock they need to support RMA, 3%? More? BiFrost 2/64 has a 5 year warranty!
There are sooooo many of those places to be found. Google is your friend. :slight_smile:
That is true, but occasionally it'd be nice to be on topic from time to time.

The cats like the attention.

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #97,583 of 150,834
I dunno, man… Fomo? Pen…uhm…DAC-envy? Overdeveloped sense of entitlement? Only child? One too many participation trophies growing up? Plain old greediness? Take your pick, really.

I own a business myself, parts of which are consumer-facing. You wouldn't believe the sense of entitlement that a relatively small subset of the population fosters. Not a day goes by where I don't have to deal with someone who truly, honestly believes that they purchased some kind of voting stock to my business because they bought an entirely optional, non-consumable $5.99 in-app purchase that they then can use in perpetuity. At least once a week, someone pops up in my support email inbox who thinks they outright own all rights to my business because they downloaded the app for free.

And trust me, I really wish I was kidding.

So, how do you deal with these folks? You don't. If something as simple as basic reasoning and decency is outweighed by some inner voice screaming at them that they were wronged somehow for buying what essentially equates to a 1.500-2.000$ piece of gear when compared to the competition for a mere 800 bucks retail, then there's nothing much you can say or do to counteract that. You just end up in a shouting match between yourself and their inner child screaming for a rainbow-colored lollypop that they just walked by at the cash register.

Ignore them, they're beyond reason. At best, they deserve my sympathy, because it must be utter hell to live inside their heads. I sure as heck wouldn't want to deal with that kind of inner demon every waking hour of my life, and I'm eternally grateful I don't have to.

Oh, and in case that's not clear: This has nothing to do with me being a Schiit fanboi. I would say (and do say) the same thing regarding any other business. A business offers a service or a product, and you as the customer are entirely free to choose whether you take them up on the offer or not. At no point is there any obligation for you to buy something, or for the business to let you in on their roadmap. If they do so, they do that by choice, but they are under absolutely no obligation. And since there are literally dozens of overwhelmingly valid reasons NOT to publicly share roadmaps, most (sane) businesses don't. Schiit sometimes does, but no one would ever mistake them for a sane business, so… 😜

You obviously have the right to contact a business after the fact whether they'd be willing to cut you a deal, but the business has the right to refuse. Personally, I'd go so far and argue that such a refusal is not merely a right, but an outright obligation when one looks at this whole issue on a bigger, philosophical scale.

A consumer has essentially three options, each with a different outcome:
1) Accept it like an adult and enjoy the thing you just bought, as it is the very product you were shopping for, precisely as advertised on the day that you hit "buy".
2) Send it back for a refund and take your business elsewhere; depending on where you go you will likely end up with a worse product for a higher price, but that's what it takes to vote with your wallet in our (sorta) free market society. Standing up for one's principles never comes cheap.
3) Complain about it on some random forum and advertise to the whole community that you're still a child at heart and easily overcome by a lollipop complex.

I don't know how you feel about this, but option 1 seems kinda the most natural to me. But I'm not one to project my own values and standards unto others… 😈
The customer is always right.

Not everyone would be your customer..........

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #97,584 of 150,834
I remember when Europeans were generally depicted as being more sophisticated compared to us Yanks. Then I discovered that the ne plus ultra of garden decor in Europe was...

Illusion shattered, lesson learned. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I hate to tell you that it's not a garden ornament. It's in a public square.........

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #97,587 of 150,834
I hate to tell you that it's not a garden ornament. It's in a public square......
Then that is DEFINITELY @bcowen, given his prior arrests for indecent exposure, urinating in public, and public intoxication ! :astonished:

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #97,588 of 150,834
Then that is DEFINITELY @bcowen, given his prior arrests for indecent exposure, urinating in public, and public intoxication ! :astonished:

Well, at least it appears that @bcowen doesn't have any prostate issues...! A man his age can never be too careful, and has to monitor those functions. 😀

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #97,589 of 150,834
The Bentley Continental GT is regarded as a 'footballer's car' here in the UK, and that is not a compliment.:beyersmile:

I'll take my chances with a thoroughbred- the Folkvangr. :relaxed:
I would say that it is a footballer's car after is is abused by Mansory.

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #97,590 of 150,834
I dunno, man… Fomo? Pen…uhm…DAC-envy? Overdeveloped sense of entitlement? Only child? One too many participation trophies growing up? Plain old greediness? Take your pick, really.

I own a business myself, parts of which are consumer-facing. You wouldn't believe the sense of entitlement that a relatively small subset of the population fosters. Not a day goes by where I don't have to deal with someone who truly, honestly believes that they purchased some kind of voting stock to my business because they bought an entirely optional, non-consumable $5.99 in-app purchase that they then can use in perpetuity. At least once a week, someone pops up in my support email inbox who thinks they outright own all rights to my business because they downloaded the app for free.

And trust me, I really wish I was kidding.

So, how do you deal with these folks? You don't. If something as simple as basic reasoning and decency is outweighed by some inner voice screaming at them that they were wronged somehow for buying what essentially equates to a 1.500-2.000$ piece of gear when compared to the competition for a mere 800 bucks retail, then there's nothing much you can say or do to counteract that. You just end up in a shouting match between yourself and their inner child screaming for a rainbow-colored lollypop that they just walked by at the cash register.

Ignore them, they're beyond reason. At best, they deserve my sympathy, because it must be utter hell to live inside their heads. I sure as heck wouldn't want to deal with that kind of inner demon every waking hour of my life, and I'm eternally grateful I don't have to.

Oh, and in case that's not clear: This has nothing to do with me being a Schiit fanboi. I would say (and do say) the same thing regarding any other business. A business offers a service or a product, and you as the customer are entirely free to choose whether you take them up on the offer or not. At no point is there any obligation for you to buy something, or for the business to let you in on their roadmap. If they do so, they do that by choice, but they are under absolutely no obligation. And since there are literally dozens of overwhelmingly valid reasons NOT to publicly share roadmaps, most (sane) businesses don't. Schiit sometimes does, but no one would ever mistake them for a sane business, so… 😜

You obviously have the right to contact a business after the fact whether they'd be willing to cut you a deal, but the business has the right to refuse. Personally, I'd go so far and argue that such a refusal is not merely a right, but an outright obligation when one looks at this whole issue on a bigger, philosophical scale.

A consumer has essentially three options, each with a different outcome:
1) Accept it like an adult and enjoy the thing you just bought, as it is the very product you were shopping for, precisely as advertised on the day that you hit "buy".
2) Send it back for a refund and take your business elsewhere; depending on where you go you will likely end up with a worse product for a higher price, but that's what it takes to vote with your wallet in our (sorta) free market society. Standing up for one's principles never comes cheap.
3) Complain about it on some random forum and advertise to the whole community that you're still a child at heart and easily overcome by a lollipop complex.

I don't know how you feel about this, but option 1 seems kinda the most natural to me. But I'm not one to project my own values and standards unto others… 😈
I agree! I purchased a Feliks Audio Espressivio OTL amp and truly loved it. 4 months later, discontinued by the next best thing. Oh well, I loved it when it was in production, and I love it today. I never complained, never had any remorse. Just glad I have a piece of gear that I appreciate every time I listen to it.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back