Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 5, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #97,591 of 149,058
No news on a Gungnir 4/128 ? Or something like that...

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #97,593 of 149,058
Gosh, I sure hope so. Insert shutupandtakemymoney.jpeg
Ok.

money.jpg

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #97,594 of 149,058
I gumby 4/128 would be sweet

A total refresh with a Gumby 2 would be really cool, add in Autonomy, a remote, phase switch, etc.

Ive always wondered, if Gungnir got a full redesign, would there be enough room for a choke?

Also, the expensive stuff is cool, but it would be really really cool to see some of the new TI multibit techniques trickle down into the lower prices. Im still trying to wrap my head around inflation but damn, stuff is getting expensive.

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #97,595 of 149,058
I hate to tell you that it's not a garden ornament. It's in a public square.........
Is that the one from Brussels?

Don't they celebrate the day he put out a fire?

I was there over 30 years ago and may have a few too many pints

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #97,596 of 149,058

A total refresh with a Gumby 2 would be really cool, add in Autonomy, a remote, phase switch, etc.

Ive always wondered, if Gungnir got a full redesign, would there be enough room for a choke?
It would be nice, but with Gungnir being on indefinite hold waiting for Analog Devices parts, it seems unlikely it’s gonna be sometime soon anyway. But maybe it’s it the works, who knows?

If it is, I’d think it would probably increase in price to be more in the middle of Bifrost2 and Yggdrasil, somewhere in the vicinity of $1600 or so, as with the Bifrost2 moving up to $800 with the new analog card is getting very close to the current Gungnir’s $1200. I think it’s hard to add that much to it for an extra $400. But at $1600 it would make more sense, as then it would be a very good middle tier price-wise for those wanting something bigger than Bifrost2 but not as big as Yggdrasil.

It makes sense to me anyway, but then again I’m not running a company. :)

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #97,597 of 149,058

Also, the expensive stuff is cool, but it would be really really cool to see some of the new TI multibit techniques trickle down into the lower prices. Im still trying to wrap my head around inflation but damn, stuff is getting expensive.
I think in many respects BiFrost2 was good enough to be Gumby 2. The only reason I want Gumby is the form factor to go with FV.

Which brings me to my suggestion for the powers that be.

Case size options. Allow us to upgrade the case size, so we can mix and match Schiit. Turn a BiFrost into Gimby! A Magni into a Jotunheim! A Vali into a Lyr?

Not the performance, but the looks.

I knew you'd love it!

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #97,598 of 149,058
I think in many respects BiFrost2 was good enough to be Gumby 2. The only reason I want Gumby is the form factor to go with FV.

Case size options. Allow us to upgrade the case size, so we can mix and match Schiit. Turn a BiFrost into Gimby! A Magni into a Jotunheim! A Vali into a Lyr?

I knew you'd love it!

If only it were that easy...! 👍🥳

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #97,599 of 149,058
It would be nice, but with Gungnir being on indefinite hold waiting for Analog Devices parts, it seems unlikely it’s gonna be sometime soon anyway. But maybe it’s it the works, who knows?

If it is, I’d think it would probably increase in price to be more in the middle of Bifrost2 and Yggdrasil, somewhere in the vicinity of $1600 or so, as with the Bifrost2 moving up to $800 with the new analog card is getting very close to the current Gungnir’s $1200. I think it’s hard to add that much to it for an extra $400. But at $1600 it would make more sense, as then it would be a very good middle tier price-wise for those wanting something bigger than Bifrost2 but not as big as Yggdrasil.

It makes sense to me anyway, but then again I’m not running a company. :)

The news about Analog Devices DSPs is not good. If you're expecting inexpensive True Multibit products, it won't happen until we redesign for TI. This is in process. But slow. I'll be editing the Modi Multibit to remove it from the Modi page soon, because we don't have a date when it will be back. Bifrost 2 and Yggy are covered, everything else not. Same as I said a while back.

I knew you'd love it!

No.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 5, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #97,600 of 149,058
SchiitrMeet August
Texas Audio Roundup Redux

Hey guys,

I know not everyone could make it to the Texas Audio Roundup, so here's your chance to come and see (hear) Lyr+ and Bifrost 2/64 (and Folkvangr, and Urd, of course), with a twist: we'll have both Bifrost and Bifrost 2/64 there so you can compare the two.

We'll also be doing video from the show, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. Some pre-answers: No, we don't know when Urd will be available (parts issues like everything else), sorry, yeah, the inexpensive True Multibit products are on indefinite hold due to DSP unavailability (but Bifrost and Yggdrasil are safe-ish), and yeah, there will be a couple other new things this year, including hopefully my wackiest idea yet. How wacky? So wacky that I haven't talked about it.

You know the drill for questions...send them to denise@schiit.com

SchiitrMeet August
Wednesday, August 10, 6PM PDT

Please join us at the Schiitr:

22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Or for the video on Facebook or YouTube:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 5, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #97,601 of 149,058
The news about Analog Devices DSPs is not good. If you're expecting inexpensive True Multibit products, it won't happen until we redesign for TI. This is in process. But slow. I'll be editing the Modi Multibit to remove it from the Modi page soon, because we don't have a date when it will be back. Bifrost 2 and Yggy are covered, everything else not. Same as I said a while back.

No.
Thanks for the update... as someone posted earlier, a TI Multibit Modius sounds like a winner... kinda bummed I waited on the Mimby anticipating an update 😕 🙃 😞.

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #97,602 of 149,058
Thanks for the update... as someone posted earlier, a TI Multibit Modius sounds like a winner... kinda bummed I waited on the Mimby anticipating an update 😕 🙃 😞.
The old one is still a great DAC. Even better if you find an opamp modded one.

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #97,603 of 149,058
@Jason Stoddard - Here's something I'm genuinely curious about. You're an honest guy (at least you seem to be). From the snarky notes added to the legalize in the manuals, to the humorous yet straightforward product faqs, to the well-written and insightful chapters here on Head-Fi, you clearly value telling it like it is, calling a spade a spade, no bull-schitting, etc.

Pretense? Bah! Overinflated windbaggy hype (I'm tellin' ya this is the greatest product ever to be made!!!!!)? Never! I mean, for the longest time Yggdrasil, your most expensive product for sale's faq page suggested people would be crazy to consider spending so much on "a 25-lb product that does the same basic thing as a $0.32 chip in your iPhone." Your candor is amusing and refreshing, and it engenders a sense of trust - you won't try to sell us on anything.

And yet....

Your background is in marketing. You are very good at it. As a marketer, your job IS to sell people on things. Authenticity in marketing is tricky business.

So I am genuinely curious how you balance these two 'forces." Either one running wild could lead to a kind of disaster (either becoming a huckster or TERRIBLE SALES NUMBERS). When you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you straddle this line.

Aug 5, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #97,604 of 149,058
@Jason Stoddard - Here's something I'm genuinely curious about. You're an honest guy (at least you seem to be). From the snarky notes added to the legalize in the manuals, to the humorous yet straightforward product faqs, to the well-written and insightful chapters here on Head-Fi, you clearly value telling it like it is, calling a spade a spade, no bull-schitting, etc.

Pretense? Bah! Overinflated windbaggy hype (I'm tellin' ya this is the greatest product ever to be made!!!!!)? Never! I mean, for the longest time Yggdrasil, your most expensive product for sale's faq page suggested people would be crazy to consider spending so much on "a 25-lb product that does the same basic thing as a $0.32 chip in your iPhone." Your candor is amusing and refreshing, and it engenders a sense of trust - you won't try to sell us on anything.

And yet....

Your background is in marketing. You are very good at it. As a marketer, your job IS to sell people on things. Authenticity in marketing is tricky business.

So I am genuinely curious how you balance these two 'forces." Either one running wild could lead to a kind of disaster (either becoming a huckster or TERRIBLE SALES NUMBERS). When you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you straddle this line.
Please read all of the chapters in Jason's book, and you will find your answer.

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #97,605 of 149,058
Ah Schiit, you guys finally broke my streak of being done with upgrading my headphone setup. Though of course, it was inevitable (and very welcome) that the Bifrost 2 would eventually get upgrades. Really though, I'm glad to have the good people at Schiit to help navigate through audio to what I am quite convinced is my endgame (as hard as that is to believe, I'll explain).

For many years (well, not that many), I followed the normal route down the audiophile rabbit hole, starting with a friend introducing me to the AKG Q701 and then, well, so it goes. Tons of sidegrades, experiments with different brands, open vs closed cans, ranging from the Sennheiser HD598 (absolutely loved these as entry-level and am very sad that you can't get them for $100 on sale any more as that was such an easy recommendation) to the HiFiMan Sundara. Fun journey, learned a lot about my own audio preferences, but it sure resulted in collecting a bunch of cans without making a ton of progress towards that "perfect sound".

Luckily I found Schiit quite early on and that pretty much covered the DAC/amp side of things. Sure, there are tons of other options, but Schiit has a great reputation for price/performance, and Jason's book/blog here is such a fun and educational read that it just plain feels good to support. And thanks to following the developments here, a few years ago I was introduced to the completely bizarre Raal SR1a. As covid hit and the desire to spoil oneself set in, it became time to escape the headphone sidegrade trap.

Now armed with a set of decidedly Hi-Fi cans that are connected at the hip to the Jot R, and with no space for anything larger than a Bifrost on the DAC side, I've been done since then, and absolutely loving it. So yeah, thanks. And I'm sure the new Bifrost card will just make it that much better.

BTW, ordered the new analog card two days ago and got the message that it shipped today; that was the shortest 10-12 weeks of my life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back