Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 3, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #97,486 of 150,618
When directly comparing the two:

B1 - Slower. Less detailed and resolving. More linear of the two but still has a lower mid/bass bump. More euphonic. Warmer. Easier to listen to in the background. Sounds great. Easier on the ears using headphones. May be too relaxed for some. I prefer B1 for headphone use.

B2 - Faster. More detailed and resolving. Wider FR&Staging. Upper mid/lower treble bump. More fleshed out and engaging bass that can still slam when called upon. Sounds great. Might be too sharp for some. I prefer B2 for speaker use.

Pick your poison. These boards have some pronounced sound differences that could make or break the synergy in your system. I'd wager that the future secondhand market for Bifrost 2 owners with both boards will demand a high price. Another poster had mentioned $100, I'd value the OG board at $250 - the original card is no slouch and has it's own strengths.
I wouldn't discount the fact that the new BF boards might benefit from a little "break-in". I'd be more interested in impressions/opinions after a week or so of use and see if things change or "settle in".

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #97,487 of 150,618

B1 - Slower. Less detailed and resolving. More linear of the two but still has a lower mid/bass bump. More euphonic. Warmer. Easier to listen to in the background. Sounds great. Easier on the ears using headphones. May be too relaxed for some. I prefer B1 for headphone use.

B2 - Faster. More detailed and resolving. Wider FR&Staging. Upper mid/lower treble bump. More fleshed out and engaging bass that can still slam when called upon. Sounds great. Might be too sharp for some. I prefer B2 for speaker use.

Pick your poison. These boards have some pronounced sound differences that could make or break the synergy in your system. I'd wager that the future secondhand market for Bifrost 2 owners with both boards will demand a high price. Another poster had mentioned $100, I'd value the OG board at $250 - the original card is no slouch and has it's own strengths.
Tube rolling, even op-amp rolling, and now entire-analog-board rolling. So much for curing nervosa :laughing:

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #97,488 of 150,618
Can you quantify that?

With Mimby or my BF1 there is no sync issue with spoken word or in games. With BF2 it's desynced in my setup. Same goes when I tried Gustard X16, Topping D90, list goes on over the years.

This is only using optical SPDIF, HTPC/USB I've not experienced any latency

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #97,489 of 150,618
My BF 2/64 board was supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Woke up to an email from FedEx stating that the estimated delivery date has changed....... It's now today! I know that there is a lot of FedEx haters here, for good reason. At least this time they have exceeded my expectations (assuming it really does arrive today lol!)

Leo
Don't count your chickens yet, I've had FedEx do that for it to turn slip back again. However, this time around they consistently told me Thursday and then I got notification on Tuesday that it was delivered. They occasionally manage to get it right.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #97,490 of 150,618
Regarding my IT support side - we've settled on DisplayPort connections for direct display connections school district wide - the HDMI connector is way too fragile/flaky.
DisplayPort is like magic - it just works, all the time. I run three 4K panels off a NVIDIA Quatro on my primary PC workstation, and it was a 100% plug-and-play setup. HDMI should be so lucky!

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #97,491 of 150,618
Plus, using an AVR to control the audio and video, usually adds the option to adjust audio delay, in order to sync picture to sound.
LG OLED TVs with webOS (a.k.a. recent models) have a delay setting that's accessible at Settings > Sound > AV Sync Adjustment. My old Samsung 8000 series had the option also, so it's probably more common than not.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #97,492 of 150,618
@JasonStoddard. Hello Jason...quick question, I purchased a Bifrost 2 late April of this year and you released the new version 3 months later. Is there any way I would get a free upgrade?...or at least at a lower cost?

If I would have known you would have been offering a new version in 3 months, I would have waited

Thanks
I got my BF2 a week before the 2/64 upgrade was announced. Emailed Schiit and was told I’d just have to buy it or return my BF2, pay shipping and restocking, and then order a new one, which was at 4-6 weeks lead time. Didn’t want to be without a DAC that long to save $100, so I just bought the upgrade. At least I’ll have both boards now…

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #97,493 of 150,618
I got my BF2 a week before the 2/64 upgrade was announced. Emailed Schiit and was told I’d just have to buy it or return my BF2, pay shipping and restocking, and then order a new one, which was at 4-6 weeks lead time. Didn’t want to be without a DAC that long to save $100, so I just bought the upgrade. At least I’ll have both boards now…
Honestly, I don't blame them for taking that stance. As closely as they work with their customer base, they have to draw a hard line somewhere. If they don't, then this issue will reoccur each time they release a d/a card upgrade. We're fortunate enough to have the upgradability as it stands.

Speaking of working with the customer base. @Jason Stoddard (thank you for everything you do) I think we're in need for a Schiit stream with Mr. @Baldr. I have so many questions. One-bit, FPGAs, gadget (as it relates to Urd?), BF2 2/64, and much more. Who knows, you might even learn something along with us :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #97,494 of 150,618

Thanks! The previous Bifrost 2 was too sharp for me, so I'll temper my expectations for the 2/64 version. No worries, my original Bifrost Multibit is excellent.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #97,495 of 150,618
LG OLED TVs with webOS (a.k.a. recent models) have a delay setting that's accessible at Settings > Sound > AV Sync Adjustment. My old Samsung 8000 series had the option also, so it's probably more common than not.

I've got an old Sharp Quattron 60" 1080P set, that won't die. If it ever does, I'll upgrade to something a bit more modern. But for now, the Sharp has a great picture, and it's free. I can't complain. 😃

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #97,496 of 150,618
Thanks! The previous Bifrost 2 was too sharp for me, so I'll temper my expectations for the 2/64 version. No worries, my original Bifrost Multibit is excellent.
Depends on your chain really. Keep in mind I'm using SE with Jot2. The balanced outs to my 2ch blew me away.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #97,497 of 150,618
If you get bored I'll lend you my BF2 you can a/b to your heart's content~!
Thanks for the offer! Maybe I'll take you up on the offer. We'll see.... Thanks!

Leo

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #97,498 of 150,618
In regards to optical, the cable can often be a part of the problem, especially on longer runs. Any large bend or kink or connector not seated firmly can impart a mismatch between words and what you see on tv. As can your source. My roku player is often the cause of audio/visual mismatch. Tested by using the same app, netflix on three devices. roku, chromecast, xbox.

2ch HT is very very nice through my schiit, but in some instances theres been some trial and error. I'm currently using gumby, freya s, vidar, klh kendalls with 0 delay and about 30 feet of total sound signal pathing.

Not saying its any better or worse then an HT setup, but theres no need for me, at the moment, to toss money at an HT setup. YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #97,499 of 150,618
Ok. Thank you for the info

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #97,500 of 150,618
Stop looking inside my closet!!! Besides which my church has a very strict dress code, so there.

1658579906184.png
Such a great movie. And this particular track from the soundtrack:

RoonShareImage-637951490086305355.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back