Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 2, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #97,456 of 150,588
@Starbucks, I enjoyed a venti latte using your regular beans 3 months ago and I already pissed it out.

But had I known you'd release the new totally hawt blue volcano extra burnt beans I'd have waited 4 months. Can you do me a solid and line me up a free one?! I'll take the happy ending on the house while you're at it. Kthnx.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #97,457 of 150,588
@Starbucks, I enjoyed a venti latte using your regular beans 3 months ago and I already pissed it out.

But had I known you'd release the new totally hawt blue volcano extra burnt beans I'd have waited 4 months. Can you do me a solid and line me up a free one?! I'll take the happy ending on the house while you're at it. Kthnx.
My thoughts exactly. Better said than I could do my self.

Just saying.......

Leo

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #97,458 of 150,588

I am not weighing in on whether or not Jason should help this guy, but I think this is a bit of a harsh post. There's no harm in asking for what you want.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #97,460 of 150,588
I am not weighing in on whether or not Jason should help this guy, but I think this is a bit of a harsh post. There's no harm in asking for what you want.
do it in private! ?

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #97,461 of 150,588
I was just looking at the settings on the Bluesound Node and there is something there about "Audio Clock Trim". It says turn it off for DACs that can't handle it. Anyone know what the hell they are talking about and whether or not this should be ON for a Bifrost? Thanks in advance for your expertise....
I've turned that setting on/off for streaming to Modi Multibit, Gungnir Multibit and my current Denafrips DAC and it's never made one bit of difference in either functionality or sound quality. Try it both ways and see which way you prefer.

Based on info from another forum, I also set my Bluesound Node 2i to "yes" for "MQA external DAC" even though my DAC doesn't support MQA. Apparently it turns off the internal DAC in the Node which may/may not improve SQ. I personally didn't notice a change. YMMV.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #97,462 of 150,588
From time to time I hook up my Yggdrasil to my tv via optica and I can notice some lag on the speaker output.
A knowledgeable person on another forum says that a lot of material has lag built into it. Make sure your source does not.

Once you find such then most AVRs let you adjust it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #97,463 of 150,588
Thanks all for the warm welcome. A big Schiit fan. I checked the earlier posts. Is there an option to return the old card for recycling? I don't see myself needing the micro SD card either. Don't feel great about just tossing it. A lot of work went into making this stuff and was wondering if there was a more useful end to these. I suppose I could drop it off at Best Buy for electronics recycling. Figured I'd reach out to the group for some past advice since this wasn't Schiit's first upgrade.

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #97,464 of 150,588
A knowledgeable person on another forum says that a lot of material has lag built into it. Make sure your source does not.

Once you find such then most AVRs let you adjust it.
The 3 external DACs that I've had in my system have had some sync issues with video sources. The worst of these is my current Denafrips Ares DAC.
I get around the issue by connecting the headphone jack of my TV to one of the analog inputs in Freya S.
I don't watch much TV or movies these days so it works for me.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. A big Schiit fan. I checked the earlier posts. Is there an option to return the old card for recycling? I don't see myself needing the micro SD card either. Don't feel great about just tossing it. A lot of work went into making this stuff and was wondering if there was a more useful end to these. I suppose I could drop it off at Best Buy for electronics recycling. Figured I'd reach out to the group for some past advice since this wasn't Schiit's first upgrade.
Maybe keep it around in case you have issues with the new card down the road? Encase it in epoxy for some unique wall/table art?
Kudos for not being wasteful. :)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #97,465 of 150,588
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry for your wallet. (Ninja’d by @HK_sends)

green vs red is just soldermask color. historically >95% of all boards made used green. PCB fab house probably didn’t see callout for non-standard soldermask color.
Back when I was a pup, just starting out in hardware development, red boards at my company meant that the board contained static-sensitive parts. Apparently green boards could be handled with reckless abandon.

A few years later when I was testing one of my boards, I could change the value of input chip resistors when zapping them with 20-40 kV. Just about everything is static-sensitive if the potential is high enough. See lightning...

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #97,466 of 150,588
Based on info from another forum, I also set my Bluesound Node 2i to "yes" for "MQA external DAC" even though my DAC doesn't support MQA. Apparently it turns off the internal DAC in the Node which may/may not improve SQ. I personally didn't notice a change. YMMV.
Got curious and tested this, and the RCA outs of my Node 2i work either way, so the internal DAC is still on, at least with non-MQA content (don't have Tidal). It should simply disable MQA processing, i.e. with the setting turned on a 192 kHz MQA file would get passed on as 48 kHz using the digital outs instead of 96 kHz (first unfolding) and presumably the internal DAC then works on that same 48 kHz stream instead of the fully unfolded 192 kHz stream (or maybe it disables the internal DAC for MQA content). So for MQA content it would leave more of that lossy compression in for the digital outs (embedded somewhere in the treble region, just noise to a regular DAC) instead of decompressing parts of it, but for non-MQA content it shouldn't make a difference.
There must be some licensing restriction that prevents anything with a digital out from passing on fully unfolded MQA, the iFi micro iDSD's S/PDIF out is also disabled (for all content) when running the MQA capable firmware, and the Tidal software also only does the first unfolding.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #97,467 of 150,588

I’ve decided to keep my old card inside the packaging of the 2/64 upgrade card. My reason for keeping it is as a contingency in case I have an issue with the new card at some point (i.e., I can swap between them to troubleshoot).

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #97,468 of 150,588
I’ve decided to keep my old card inside the packaging of the 2/64 upgrade card. My reason for keeping it is as a contingency in case I have an issue with the new card at some point (i.e., I can swap between them to troubleshoot).
The other thing to consider is that once they start shipping new BF2's, those owners will inevitably suddenly want Gen 1 cards as they supposedly better/warmer/have better bass or mud range than the Gen 2. Probably get $100 then. I'd keep it around to try the NOS mode on the earlier card as well.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #97,469 of 150,588
Second post ever, hope I'm doing this correctly. I got my bifrost upgrade and just installed. The old card is a green board.
There are significant differences on the lower left compared to my board.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #97,470 of 150,588
Any impressions yet?

When directly comparing the two:

B1 - Slower. Less detailed and resolving. More linear of the two but still has a lower mid/bass bump. More euphonic. Warmer. Easier to listen to in the background. Sounds great. Easier on the ears using headphones. May be too relaxed for some. I prefer B1 for headphone use.

B2 - Faster. More detailed and resolving. Wider FR&Staging. Upper mid/lower treble bump. More fleshed out and engaging bass that can still slam when called upon. Sounds great. Might be too sharp for some. I prefer B2 for speaker use.

Pick your poison. These boards have some pronounced sound differences that could make or break the synergy in your system. I'd wager that the future secondhand market for Bifrost 2 owners with both boards will demand a high price. Another poster had mentioned $100, I'd value the OG board at $250 - the original card is no slouch and has it's own strengths.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back