Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 27, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #95,236 of 149,684
Has anyone gotten a FLIR reading say within 5ft? Curious....
Yes:
csm_Rosenbauer_FLIR-Waermebildkameras_Modus1_TI-Basis-Brandbekaempfungsmodus_448404dd44.jpg

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #95,237 of 149,684
Silver :ksc75smile:

Edit: But I’m in for a bit of a wait as I got a Gungnir (also silver) with it, which is 4-6 weeks out. But that’s no problem, I can wait.
In my cart while I clear space on my listening desk to make sure I have room around it that won't melt anything. ...also maybe I need to consider adding a Bifrost to the order. Barely increased the shipping cost too and at that point, that's a deal!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #95,241 of 149,684
I just noticed the holes for the tubes are kind of 'dished out' which gives it an interesting look (sorry for the lack of proper terminology)
Very nicely done @Jason Stoddard That is a very, very cool looking amp!
That must be what Jason called the "muffin tin". I saw them and imagined this:

black-hole-spacetime-curvature.jpg

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #95,245 of 149,684
Like this?

Tubes are very hot (pretty much same as Valhalla 2). Chassis not so much.

FLIR0029.jpg

They look even more ominous in black:

IMG_0831.jpg

Attachments

• FLIR0030.jpg
    FLIR0030.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 27, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #95,246 of 149,684
The Sundara should be fine, but the 83dB efficient HE6SE simply needs more than 1W of power to sound its best at normal listening levels.

But one nice thing about planars is that they usually have a ruler flat impedance. I was going to say "impedance curve" but with planars, there usually is no curve at all, just a straight line, which is actually a really good thing for any tube amp that has a high output impedance, like the Folkvangr.
Sundaras it is! I will close my tabs shopping for closed backs and see what everyone else is doing. Thank you for the assurance!

Edit: and now right on to getting nos ecc88 ha

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #95,247 of 149,684
I will also be curious what people are planning to pair with this. I'm primarily speaker listening, so my headphone setup prior to ordering one (in black!) is Jot 2 and a couple planars (HE6SEV2, Sundara). I suppose the Sundaras at 37 ohms and 94db sensitivity could run with the Multiplier, but it definitely feels like I need to dip my toes into the dynamic realm with this purchase...
I’ll be throwing a couple high impedance ZMFs at it which should work really well. I’ll also try my Focal Clear using the impedance booster. The clear should be interesting- it doesn’t like my Woo- the 15 ohm output impedance makes the bass loose and wooly to my tastes (others like it though).

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #95,249 of 149,684
What would be everone's thoughts about Folkvangr out to a Ragnarok 2 to drive speakers?

I assume this would bypass the 8 power tubes that drive the headphone out. Assuming that's the case, why would you not just use a Freya+ or Saga+?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back