Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 20, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #94,831 of 150,483
I don't know, buying audio equipment at Ikea sort of feels like buying clothing at Denny's...
Glad I don't have to worry, Ikea does not exist around here.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #94,832 of 150,483
maxresdefault.jpg
Now that picture brings back memories!

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #94,834 of 150,483
I used several discrete op amps from Sparkos, Burson etc...
Sounds good. I have had the good fortune to hear a large number of amplifiers and design my own if need be. I also have repaired multiple headphone and speaker amps for others so I get to hear those as well. 🤪 It has been a while since I messed around with the Whammy so I do not recall the specific op amps, it is on a shelf somewhere along with other amps I do not use a lot. Along the way I own or have owned most all tube gear Schiit has made as well as buying five or six DAC's from them.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #94,835 of 150,483
So, returning to the question of the Schiit box for a Raspberry Pi. Here is an idea. Simple chassis, inbuilt power supply/Schiit external power brick, a HAT that attaches to the GPIO header, that adds Unison USB output. Make it available in a Modi and a Modius chassis. Customer adds their own Pi and adds their own OS to the Pi. Ropieee, Moode, Volumio, DietPi and VitOS would all work a and would require zero support from Schiit outside of getting someone like Harry at Ropieee to add the card as an output. The people who would buy this are already putting Pis in cases already, but what is available either doesn't stack or is somewhat crap.

Hell, you could even do it in the Jotunheim style chassis and add the modular DAC card.....

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #94,836 of 150,483
Coming from you - that is a high praise for a solid state amp!!
@bcowen - I hope you have not read that post, as your eyes might burn in their sockets... :wink:
Fortunately, I read that on my phone with my sunglasses on. Painful, but no retinal burn. What’s even more painful though is that @Paladin79 is spending time here instead of working on my amp. Even sunglasses won’t help that. 😒

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #94,837 of 150,483
Fortunately, I read that on my phone with my sunglasses on. Painful, but no retinal burn. What’s even more painful though is that @Paladin79 is spending time here instead of working on my amp. Even sunglasses won’t help that. 😒
It takes time to get those tiny brush lines on the copper straight and parallel. to one another.

From "The Agony and the Ecstasy"
Pope Julius II: "When will you make it end?"
Michelangelo: "When I'm finished"
1655768355707.png

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #94,838 of 150,483
This is a Federal holiday so I pretended I work for the Post Office. You will get the amp back by St. Swithin’s day I promise. It is the day after Bastille day. Oh crap I celebrate those days too, never mind. You should just listen to music in the fall, it’s going to be a long hot summer.🤪🤪

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #94,839 of 150,483
So, returning to the question of the Schiit box for a Raspberry Pi. Here is an idea. Simple chassis, inbuilt power supply/Schiit external power brick, a HAT that attaches to the GPIO header, that adds Unison USB output. Make it available in a Modi and a Modius chassis. Customer adds their own Pi and adds their own OS to the Pi. Ropieee, Moode, Volumio, DietPi and VitOS would all work a and would require zero support from Schiit outside of getting someone like Harry at Ropieee to add the card as an output. The people who would buy this are already putting Pis in cases already, but what is available either doesn't stack or is somewhat crap.

Hell, you could even do it in the Jotunheim style chassis and add the modular DAC card.....
And call it the Diarre case...

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #94,840 of 150,483
Jun 20, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #94,841 of 150,483

I own 3 Pi2AES-based streamers and I've followed closely the challenges Pi2 Design have had with parts sourcing, manufacturing, and assembly. IMHO, a good part of Schiit's magic is how they have managed their design and production through thick and thin by controlling in a firm, clear-eyed way everything they could control, and nimbly responding to what they could not (think pandemic, AKM fire, end of Russian tubes). Knowing what I know about current backlogs and sourcing issues in computer parts, even anything as simple as a GPIO header, and what Pi2 Design has been going through, I would be very surprised if Schiit took on anything like your suggestion.

Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, just get on the waiting list for one of Pi2 Design's products. Their pipeline is not as well-primed as Schiit's, but their products are excellent and Michael Kelly is outstanding with support for all issues.

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #94,842 of 150,483
From the News I Never Thought I'd Hear Department:
IKEA introduces a turntable, well, they call it a record player.
Wonder how much assembly will be required. Where do you use the allen key?
It's part of a new collection, OBERGRANSAD, developed with the participation of the music group Swedish House Mafia. (Somehow, this does not sound promising.)
Apparently IKEA used to sell audio gear back in the day, this is their first record player since 1973.
Jason, are you sure you won't resurrect SOL?
IKEA_OBEGRANSAD_record_player_PE872124-e058443e-figure-image-desktop.jpg
SOL is/was too "different" looking for me. Kinda sorta like the OBERGRANSAD which means "unbounded" according to the Swedish to Toadish translator. I am too olde to change but I am not their intended audience and if SOL returns, I wish them well with the buying public. SOL was far from hideous in either looks or pricing so again, if it returns I hope it does well!

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #94,845 of 150,483
As for buying audio at IKEA? Audio sells where it is sold. Think about that. So many people turn up their noses at Crosley and yet I tend to THINK that without young people buying Crosley turntables and those kids just having fun listening to the format and buying more and more records vinyl would still have a stake driven through its heart. The "Crosley Kids" were a big part of the resurgence in popularity and sales of records and record players. Note that I said "record players" and not 'Turntables". If frAuiophiles like Fremer had their way, no one would just have FUN with their record players. They would instead concentrate on cartridges, preamps, freez-dried cork mats and whether or not a gnat farted on some little known classical, blues or jazz recording . Not very fun and nothing at all do to with listening to music. They listen to equipment. And farting gnats.

So as I said, Audio sells where it is sold. If IKEA can sell Unbound record players in their stores, it is more than likely for young people interested in having fun. Or even older folk like my self wanting to awaken the kid inside. I own a Crosley Executive suitcase record player. It works just fine and reminds me (kinda sorta) of my GE Wildcat. Why? Because that record player was also portable and fun.

I could well be in the minority here but that does not matter. Like the Doobies said, I "listen to the music"...NOT equipment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back