Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #94,861 of 149,241
Maybe a Finnigan paw print would be a good signature..
LOL ok once I figure out something safe I can remove from his paw later on I am game to try it.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #94,862 of 149,241
GPIO doesn't have enough bandwidth for a USB controller, that's why audio hats are S/PDIF only. It'd have to be a CM4 module with a custom carrier board with Unison USB out
That I wasn't aware of... That takes it from being easily DIY'd to a little more challenging.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #94,863 of 149,241
So, returning to the question of the Schiit box for a Raspberry Pi. Here is an idea. Simple chassis, inbuilt power supply/Schiit external power brick, a HAT that attaches to the GPIO header, that adds Unison USB output. Make it available in a Modi and a Modius chassis. Customer adds their own Pi and adds their own OS to the Pi. Ropieee, Moode, Volumio, DietPi and VitOS would all work a and would require zero support from Schiit outside of getting someone like Harry at Ropieee to add the card as an output. The people who would buy this are already putting Pis in cases already, but what is available either doesn't stack or is somewhat crap.

Hell, you could even do it in the Jotunheim style chassis and add the modular DAC card.....

I have a Raspberry Pi case I really admire - it’s an Argon One from http://www.Argon40.com. For US$25 it’s a very clever piece of kit. It reroutes all connections to the back (including a power on/off switch to assuage your Schiit fears) using only a simple PCB with traces on it, no chips needed. There IS another board that provides a riser for the GPIO pins to the top surface, an IR receiver, power toggle, and fans, that does use chips, but the Pi would work without it.

I’ve put together a little collage to show it, but the salient part is that it would fit into a small Schiit case. For a cheap approach someone could buy a SYS and throw away the guts, then 3D print a board for the Pi and put the guts of the Argon One into it, and have an integrated looking Pi to stream to. Or just print a whole case and spray it silver & black.

As it is, I think it‘s the best-looking and most practical case for an audio rig. Everything on the back mean you can put it on top of any stack and it fits right in without cables visible. Now that black cases are the norm, it would even colour match.

I haven’t tested it, but there is a replacement bottom plate that allows you to add an M2 form factor hard drive to create a stand-alone music source (no streaming required). I also haven’t tested the IR remote, which would allow you to control the device from the couch, but the Argon One comes ready for it.

As for the HAT, I think it’s less important now that the USB bus on Pi 4 is separated out. The noise problems that made audio HATs necessary are dealt with, and I think the USB sounds pretty darn good into my Magni/Modi stack. I am sure it would sound even better into Unison. And none of the audio HATs offer USB out.

My point, I think, is that Schiit could easily design a modest cost mini-stack form factor case that would allow a Pi to drop right in if they wanted to. While I doubt that they will, it would not be hard for someone to build it at home, or some enterprising Etsy person to do so.

We can hope, though, eh?

F360833D-CF70-4547-94EB-8FF4DE8C6F65.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #94,864 of 149,241
I have a Raspberry Pi case I really admire - it’s an Argon One from http://www.Argon40.com. For US$25 it’s a very clever piece of kit. It reroutes all connections to the back (including a power on/off switch to assuage your Schiit fears) using only a simple PCB with traces on it, no chips needed. There IS another board that provides a riser for the GPIO pins to the top surface, an IR receiver, power toggle, and fans, that does use chips, but the Pi would work without it.

I’ve put together a little collage to show it, but the salient part is that it would fit into a small Schiit case. For a cheap approach someone could buy a SYS and throw away the guts, then 3D print a board for the Pi and put the guts of the Argon One into it, and have an integrated looking Pi to stream to. Or just print a whole case and spray it silver & black.

As it is, I think it‘s the best-looking and most practical case for an audio rig. Everything on the back mean you can put it on top of any stack and it fits right in without cables visible. Now that black cases are the norm, it would even colour match.

I haven’t tested it, but there is a replacement bottom plate that allows you to add an M2 form factor hard drive to create a stand-alone music source (no streaming required). I also haven’t tested the IR remote, which would allow you to control the device from the couch, but the Argon One comes ready for it.

As for the HAT, I think it’s less important now that the USB bus on Pi 4 is separated out. The noise problems that made audio HATs necessary are dealt with, and I think the USB sounds pretty darn good into my Magni/Modi stack. I am sure it would sound even better into Unison. And none of the audio HATs offer USB out.

My point, I think, is that Schiit could easily design a modest cost mini-stack form factor case that would allow a Pi to drop right in if they wanted to. While I doubt that they will, it would not be hard for someone to build it at home, or some enterprising Etsy person to do so.

We can hope, though, eh?

F360833D-CF70-4547-94EB-8FF4DE8C6F65.jpeg
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it looks like the Pi does not actually fit into the small Schiit case, at least not length-wise. The Pi might be the same length (edge of board to edge of I/O sockets) as the Schiit case's outside dimension's depth, but it looks to me as Pi might just about be one to two millimeter (about 40 to 80 thou) too long to fit inside the case.
Could be a perspective thing with the photos, but seems like it wouldn't quite fit.
(Don't have a Pi at hand to check this myself. I've always been more of an Arduino guy. 😁)
Mounting Pi rotated by 90º would fit, but then you have to deal with the existing on-board ports somehow.
Making a slightly larger case would neither be feasible for what this is, either. That would also mean that it wouldn't stack as well as intended, which would kind of defeat the whole appeal for such a case to begin with.
Using a Modius-sized case would allow for more flexibility and expandability, but it's probably not the form factor that most who use Pi streamers would look for, I am assuming.

Oh, and if anyone wants to go the Sys route and home-brew something themselves; make sure to add vent holes to the bottom or sides, and to the top. Pi doesn't get super hot, but these little cases are sealed better than one might think, so a little bit of air flow can't hurt.

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #94,865 of 149,241
AE3AD91D-D831-4D79-896E-92E435BFE6BD.jpeg

I will just show one portion of the @bcowen amp cabinet upgrade so he knows I am slaving away on it.🤪🤪

This is all hand work on 1/8 inch copper plate.
Awesome!!!

But wait...what's the third hole for? A 6SN7 and a pair of 300B's? Aw man...you shouldn't have. 😂

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #94,866 of 149,241
That was just a scrap piece of copper I was using on the cardboard amp the other day. This piece is pristine prior to Cowen doing God knows what to it. :ksc75smile: He is likely to paint it with copper colored paint.
That way it'll match the transformer cover I painted. But please....it's copper particle paint. Cost is no object when it comes to my audio gear. 😀

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #94,867 of 149,241
Awesome!!!

But wait...what's the third hole for? A 6SN7 and a pair of 300B's? Aw man...you shouldn't have. 😂
I will figure that part out later. I start with the top plate and work backwards.😎

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #94,868 of 149,241
That way it'll match the transformer cover I painted. But please....it's copper particle paint. Cost is no object when it comes to my audio gear. 😀
Why am I reminded of the phrase pearls before swine BBQ?

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #94,869 of 149,241
I will figure that part out later. I start with the top plate and work backwards.😎
Hmmm. I only have two tubes. Guess I'll need to buy another one? 😵‍💫

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #94,870 of 149,241
Hmmm. I only have two tubes. Guess I'll need to buy another one? 😵‍💫
If it's a tube I'm sure you already have one of whatever it is in your warehouse
1655858425663.png

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #94,871 of 149,241
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it looks like the Pi does not actually fit into the small Schiit case, at least not length-wise. The Pi might be the same length (edge of board to edge of I/O sockets) as the Schiit case's outside dimension's depth, but it looks to me as Pi might just about be one to two millimeter (about 40 to 80 thou) too long to fit inside the case.
Could be a perspective thing with the photos, but seems like it wouldn't quite fit.
(Don't have a Pi at hand to check this myself. I've always been more of an Arduino guy. 😁)
Mounting Pi rotated by 90º would fit, but then you have to deal with the existing on-board ports somehow.
Making a slightly larger case would neither be feasible for what this is, either. That would also mean that it wouldn't stack as well as intended, which would kind of defeat the whole appeal for such a case to begin with.
Using a Modius-sized case would allow for more flexibility and expandability, but it's probably not the form factor that most who use Pi streamers would look for, I am assuming.

Oh, and if anyone wants to go the Sys route and home-brew something themselves; make sure to add vent holes to the bottom or sides, and to the top. Pi doesn't get super hot, but these little cases are sealed better than one might think, so a little bit of air flow can't hurt.
Welp, I guess that means the Schiit Can is Schiit canned :spy::smiley_cat::sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #94,872 of 149,241
If it's a tube I'm sure you already have one of whatever it is in your warehouse
1655858425663.png
LOL! Problem is I didn't label the boxes, so I'm not sure where to look for whatever tube it is I don't know about. 😂

Jun 21, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #94,873 of 149,241

I had a 3D printer a while back, a COVID inspired purchase, and I found someone had created a model that would work, using a Modi case. I was playing around with it and you can just fit a Pi in with the Pi in that orientation, tho when I was adjusting the model, I moved it out about 2mm for a bit of clearance. Good eye there.

Having played around with a few Pi cases, including the Argon, which I will agree is probably the best available right now, they do run a little hot. If I were modifying the Sys that I have, I would consider taking it into work and maybe seeing if can get the Pi logo machine into the top for a little ventilation, maybe with a heat pad to help pull heat into the bottom chassis.

The compute module would definitely fit. Damn. I might go and play around with that Sys case now.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #94,874 of 149,241
A counter argument.

And for some, a valid one.:beerchug: Not me. I like my Crosley just fine! It has played flawlessly for well over 4 years now. It has not destroyed any of my records but it has put to rest falsehoods about the brand. Their C200 direct drive is a fine player too. Some times people have a bad experience with a product and no one can blame them for not wanting to risk their hard earned money again and some times people are people.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back