Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #94,651 of 154,345
With VU Meters and a front power switch?

Andrew
6jxvjz.jpg

:beerchug:

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #94,652 of 154,345
I have been working with an esteemed group of individuals to do a cabinet upgrade for @bcowen. Only the best cardboard was selected as well as adding additional features to his amp design.

New features include Wi-Fi, controls for both volume up and volume down. Music sensitivity switches that go from John Denver to Marilyn Manson and an assortment of inputs and outputs suitable for Bill’s music tastes.

722CD866-0115-4A14-96DD-8AEB8B624A71.jpeg2E53BF3D-B19C-4D50-ADB2-74484B724A5A.jpeg1AE38BDF-50C7-4BC3-A678-9BA3438B79FD.jpegA3D693D7-8911-46A1-9FEF-0C563527976D.jpeg

ROFL!!!!!

Just a few bullet points from a pre non-review:

1) I asked for blue Christmas tree lights, not white and red. But whatever. No input allowed is no input allowed, I suppose.​
2) What in hell's dumpster is with that power cord?​
3) Please leave the GEC 6AS7G in there when you send it back.​
4) There are 5 right channel RCA jacks and only 3 left. It is unlikely I will ever figure this out. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty.​
11) Why are there two headphone jacks? I only have one set of ears (I think...verifying in the mirror now).​
73) Where are the 845 tube sockets? Please tell me they're not on the bottom?​
🤣🤣🤣

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #94,653 of 154,345
ROFL!!!!!

Just a few bullet points from a pre non-review:

1) I asked for blue Christmas tree lights, not white and red. But whatever. No input allowed is no input allowed, I suppose.​
2) What in hell's dumpster is with that power cord?​
3) Please leave the GEC 6AS7G in there when you send it back.​
4) There are 5 right channel RCA jacks and only 3 left. It is unlikely I will ever figure this out. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty.​
11) Why are there two headphone jacks? I only have one set of ears (I think...verifying in the mirror now).​
73) Where are the 845 tube sockets? Please tell me they're not on the bottom?​
🤣🤣🤣
The two headphone jacks are in case you have a friend over to listen as well. 😜 We get our word sinister from the Latin word for left so I tried to use the least amount of left inputs as I possibly could. You will get used to it. The power cord was an afterthought, you have Wi-Fi, count your blessings.😁
The GEC belongs to Finnegan, I only get to borrow it on special occasions.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #94,654 of 154,345
I know I'm not part of the design team, but:

I thought of something: is there protection built into the volume circuit? What happens if @bcowen turned the left knob all the way up and the right knob all the way down (or vice versa) simultaneously? Would the electrons get confused and jump ship, electrocuting Duke's biggest fan?

Feature request: two more Music Sensitivity switches so @bcowen can turn his Music Sensitivity up to 11.

I hope there will be a manual available on-line when the project is finished. I'd like to know the difference between the Marilyn Manson and Biohazard switches (I'd have assumed they perform equivalent functions based on labeling alone), I'm curious about the TAFKaP switch, does the GE warning indicator come with an audible alarm (e.g. "Danger Bill Cowen, danger Bill Cowen" in a good simulation of the Lost in Space robot's voice) and finally, are there any forbidden connection pairings in the Input Pentagram (or is that an Easter Egg for @bcowen).

Yes, there should be some thought given on how to protect the estimable Mr Cowen from himself.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #94,656 of 154,345
Tube rolling is going to be mind boggling for those that partake.
Not so much. There aren't really many 6N6P alternatives, so 8 of the 10 tubes will stay pretty much set. Having just 2x 6N1Ps, which offer the most alternatives (especially with adapters), it's really not going to be much more expensive than rolling with a Valhalla 2. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #94,657 of 154,345
I have been working with an esteemed group of individuals to do a cabinet upgrade for @bcowen. Only the best cardboard was selected as well as adding additional features to his amp design.

New features include Wi-Fi, controls for both volume up and volume down. Music sensitivity switches that go from John Denver to Marilyn Manson and an assortment of inputs and outputs suitable for Bill’s music tastes.

I feel that I have "seen some stuff" during my 67 years, but I am quite sure I have never seen design & workmanship of that nature before.

I'm not sure I want to say it's a masterpiece. I think I'll just say it expresses a unique artistic vision.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #94,658 of 154,345
The two headphone jacks are in case you have a friend over to listen as well. 😜
What a waste. We all know Bill has no IRL friends. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #94,659 of 154,345
I feel that I have "seen some stuff" during my 67 years, but I am quite sure I have never seen design & workmanship of that nature before.

I'm not sure I want to say it's a masterpiece. I think I'll just say it expresses a unique artistic vision.
Naturally it was in fun, I will show the actual work after Bill receives his amp back. Those who helped with the cardboard amp will see the process I go through. I will be using new woodworking techniques.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #94,660 of 154,345
LA Confidential was the first movie I experienced proper surround sound with a quality setup. Matrix was the next one that left an impression on me
One I remember is the animated Japanese Ghost In the Shell. It uses the surround channels very effectively with the music - in particular I remember the soft reverb of the drums coming from the surround channels. I only noticed because I was walking by one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back