Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #92,431 of 153,134
May 3, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #92,433 of 153,134
I hesitate to suggest it, but you could try swapping the Tyrs left/right ( :scream: 110 lbs) and seeing if the speaker hum moves to the other side. However, you really can't assume that Tyrs and mono Vidars should behave the same; it depends on grounding in the internal circuits.
I will swap them, @rkw - it's worth a try and would be pretty simple. Thanks for the recommendation!

May 3, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #92,434 of 153,134
rather than moving 110lbs of iron and finned heatsinks, try swapping the interconnect cables between pre and power amps first. also look at cable routing which may have been shifted a bit during the changeover to the new amplifiers (AC cables and interconnects running parallel thereby increasing coupling / interference). some audiophile cables optimize for lower capacitance instead of optimizing for highest magnetic interference rejection, tightest shielding, etc.
Good plan - will try cable swap and re-route before pumping iron... :) Thanks @tincanear and @rkw for the debugging ideas. Will report out - will be next week as I'm slammed at work right now.

May 3, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #92,435 of 153,134
I initially thought that too but all previous and present equipment works fine except the Tyr's. They both still hum even when removed from the stereo setup and plugged in elsewhere.

I recently helped to produce an on-location livestream concert event that was in a nice home in the SF Bay Area. During sound check, we were getting a lot of hum from one mic and after doing all the stage 1 diags (switch the mic, switch the cable, ground loops, etc.) we gave up for a while and moved on to lighting. It was then that I noticed that there was a dimmer on the ceiling lights. As the owner of the home had used lights with different color temps (don't get me started) I swapped out a few bulbs so that they would match at least. The hum went away. (well, the hum went away as long as the dimmer was at 100%). It was a bulb. They were a mix of CFLs and LEDs. I didn't have time for an experiment and they had a box incandescent bulbs on hand, so we swapped them all out for the duration of the shoot.

So now I've added light bulbs to the list of things that can cause hum.

Hope that helps someone someday. :wink:

May 3, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #92,437 of 153,134
I recently helped to produce an on-location livestream concert event that was in a nice home in the SF Bay Area. During sound check, we were getting a lot of hum from one mic and after doing all the stage 1 diags (switch the mic, switch the cable, ground loops, etc.) we gave up for a while and moved on to lighting. It was then that I noticed that there was a dimmer on the ceiling lights. As the owner of the home had used lights with different color temps (don't get me started) I swapped out a few bulbs so that they would match at least. The hum went away. (well, the hum went away as long as the dimmer was at 100%). It was a bulb. They were a mix of CFLs and LEDs. I didn't have time for an experiment and they had a box incandescent bulbs on hand, so we swapped them all out for the duration of the shoot.

So now I've added light bulbs to the list of things that can cause hum.

Hope that helps someone someday. :wink:
(replying to my own post)

Now I see that we're talking more about mechanical humming than signal hums. I've experienced that a few times too and as far as I can recall, it was location-dependent.

May 3, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #92,438 of 153,134
No money will change hands but each should have an item to remember me by.
I already do! The letters ‘Amazon’ are still faintly visible under the paint. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 3, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #92,439 of 153,134
I already do! The letters ‘Amazon’ are still faintly visible under the paint. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Well they do seem to ship a lot of things in cardboard. Were you expecting new stock?

May 3, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #92,442 of 153,134
These just arrived from China. Ordered 4/19 received 5/3. The $10.00 to ship with AliExpress was probably well worth it.
1651602886705.png
1651602957575.png

May 3, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #92,445 of 153,134
If they sound half as nice as they look, they're a really neat purchase. :)
What do you plan on using them in?
RAAL VM-1a (for direct driving SR-1a Ribbon HP's) when I can get one! First run sold out, but I'm sure there will be many more runs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back