Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #92,447 of 155,188
I fully understand, I once carried a high energy gamma ray detector for an experiment at Brookhaven National Laboratory through security. Steel cylinder 4 in diameter by 16 in long with steel cap at one end and aluminum cap with three coaxial connectors BNC, SHV, and LEMO on the other. No problem, but they did question my alarm clock.

May 3, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #92,452 of 155,188
May 3, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #92,453 of 155,188
As far as I know they are not interchangeable. Not like say 6SN7 and 6SL7, although I believe the gain of the 6SL7 is much higher than 6SN7.
EL34 is not compatible with 6SN7, correct?

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #92,454 of 155,188
As far as I know they are not interchangeable. Not like say 6SN7 and 6SL7, although I believe the gain of the 6SL7 is much higher than 6SN7.

Oops I misunderstood the question lol, you cannot replace one with the other directly that I know of. Both types of tubes can be used in the same amp but for different purposes.

I have my woodworking hat on today, and I finished a damascus blade for a gentleman who took over my job when I retired.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #92,456 of 155,188
There are amps that use both.
True. As a matter of fact that is exactly what is used in the RAAL VM-1a. Initial production of that amp was designed using the 6SL7 as a driver 2 EL34'sper channel for power output, and an additional EL-34 per channel to provide the additional current boost ribbons need, apparently lots o' watts isn't as critical as current with their ribbons.

At some point the principals of RAAL substituted the 6SN7 for the 6SL7 and decided it was an even better driver tube in their design. The initial runs of the amp were stamped 6SL7 on the chassis. I wonder if they will re-stamp subsequent runs of the VM-1a as 6SN7 on the chassis?

Do note: the VM-1a is specifically designed to be a best match with the SR-1a and won't work with anything other than RAAL's ribbons. The open baffle design and their closed back ribbon model to be released in the future.

I stand to be corrected on this info but believe it is accurate.

May 3, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #92,457 of 155,188
Oops I misunderstood the question lol, you cannot replace one with the other directly that I know of. Both types of tubes can be used in the same amp but for different purposes.
6sn and 6sl tubes have the same pin-out and heater specs, but then things diverge in the gain and plate resistance arena. In many cases you can plug a 6sl into a 6sn circuit, but be aware that 1) the bias is incorrect 2) the plate load is incorrect 3) yes, you will get sound out, but distortion and linearity are compromised. Remember, the guy that designed your amp selected 6sn for a reason. BTW, the early Williamson amps used a 6SL7 followed by a 6SN7, while later version redesigned the input amp to be a 6SN7.

May 3, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #92,458 of 155,188
Sorry, guys, but I've gotta let off some steam for a second…

Black Stone Cherry - Kentucky

That's just one of those albums that really drive me up the wall. Some of the best southern/hard rock guitar work out there, especially on the track The Way of the Future. But no matter what source you listen to, the tracks all sound like complete swamp ass. 24bit / 96k on both, iTunes and Qobuz, but from both sources, the whole album sounds like a 128kbit/s MP3. Especially during the more powerful passages, the tracks all collapse into a noisy mess of compression artifacts. Particularly the high hats and crashes turn utterly unbearable.

The Pretty Reckless has a very similar problem. The older two albums were ok-ish, but Going to Hell and Death by Rock And Roll are unlistenable.

In fact, this seems to be a relatively prevailing issue throughout most of hard rock, southern rock, and metal. Pick a band from those genres, any band, and chances are that the mix sounds like some crappy Napster rip.

I honestly wonder why that is.

OK, done. Back to our regularly scheduled sine wave. 😁

Edit:
Oh, and to also post something much more positive to keep things balanced:
"California" by Bahari; I'll never be able to listen to that song and not grin like an idiot. Don't even know why, it just makes me happy. 🤣

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #92,459 of 155,188

That's just one of those albums that really drive me up the wall. Some of the best southern/hard rock guitar work out there, especially on the track The Way of the Future. But no matter what source you listen to, the tracks all sound like complete swamp ass. 24bit / 96k on both, iTunes and Qobuz, but from both sources, the whole album sounds like a 128kbit/s MP3. Especially during the more powerful passages, the tracks all collapse into a noisy mess of compression artifacts. Particularly the high hats and crashes turn utterly unbearable.

The Pretty Reckless has a very similar problem. The older two albums were ok-ish, but Going to Hell and Death by Rock And Roll are unlistenable.

In fact, this seems to be a relatively prevailing issue throughout most of hard rock, southern rock, and metal. Pick a band from those genres, any band, and chances are that the mix sounds like some crappy Napster rip.

I am a lover of psychedelic rock (both classic and modern), but one band I've given up on is King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard. The reason is their love of a lo-fi aesthetic in production that makes listening to their albums very disappointing on even my relatively modest audiophile setup. I sometimes think they're tuning their recordings to sound good on Bluetooth speakers or something. It's a shame, because they are a supremely talented band, but they do themselves and their current/future fans a disservice by deliberately going for a schiity sound. Especially nowadays when you can get better sound quality than DSOTM relatively cheaply.

May 3, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #92,460 of 155,188

Edit:
Oh, and to also post something much more positive to keep things balanced:
"California" by Bahari; I'll never be able to listen to that song and not grin like an idiot. Don't even know why, it just makes me happy. 🤣

I mostly agree on the last Pretty Reckless album. I got the vinyl and it too suffers from sounding like an overly compressed digital file.

Damn the loudness war! 🤬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back