Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #91,306 of 150,558
I am impressed that you built your own speakers! I spent some time working in speaker design with a good friend years ago but my shop is not set up for larger pieces at this time. My current project in spalted maple with a bit of mineral spirits applied to show off the color.😉CBC05671-8BFA-4F65-8394-62258FE67BB7.jpeg
Very nice. I approve. :laughing: It's possible (though not assured) that I may like that even more than Tiger maple. We live in very strange times. :laughing:

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #91,307 of 150,558
Very nice. I approve. :laughing: It's possible (though not assured) that I may like that even more than Tiger maple. We live in very strange times. :laughing:
It is unsuitable for you, it is not built sideways or made from recycled wood products.😜

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #91,308 of 150,558
Looks like the new 'fully loaded' version comes with an ES9028 DAC and the ones listed in B-stock have multibit? Just a guess on my part...
And the reason it's on "closeout" is that it has the old, discontinued multibit DAC card. A new multibit DAC card with Unison USB is coming but delayed due to parts unavailability.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #91,309 of 150,558
Pics or it didn't happen. :laughing:

Seriously, any photos of your creation(s)? Would love to see them.
OK, here are pics of a few builds:

First two pics are 3 systems in our bedroom (taken some years ago to judge by the TV!). Left to right: Bigger Is Better (BIB) variously referred to as a tapped horn or a pipe horn using Mark Audio Alpair 10M driver; mouth faces the ceiling & uses ceiling & walls as extensions of the horn; because the BIB uses the room as part of the horn, I get a flat octave from 25-50 Hz, something I have never seen before 'in room'. Center is a variation of Martin King's small passive open baffle. Right is a Dave Dlugos design: Fonken Prime (Fostex Onken) using Fostex 4.5" FE127e; sitting on stands I built which have shelves for CDs.

Next two pics show a Metronome design (left) using 4.5" Fostex F120A drivers (I wanted to find out about the 'magic' of Alnico) and a transmission line using 8" Fostex FF225wk supplemented by an Eminence APT80 horn tweeter.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PTL-007.jpg
    PTL-007.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PTL-008.jpg
    PTL-008.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #91,310 of 150,558

First two pics are 3 systems in our bedroom (taken some years ago to judge by the TV!). Left to right: Bigger Is Better (BIB) variously referred to as a tapped horn or a pipe horn using Mark Audio Alpair 10M driver; mouth faces the ceiling & uses ceiling & walls as extensions of the horn; because the BIB uses the room as part of the horn, I get a flat octave from 25-50 Hz, something I have never seen before 'in room'. Center is a variation of Martin King's small passive open baffle. Right is a Dave Dlugos design: Fonken Prime (Fostex Onken) using Fostex 4.5" FE127e; sitting on stands I built which have shelves for CDs.

Next two pics show a Metronome design (left) using 4.5" Fostex F120A drivers (I wanted to find out about the 'magic' of Alnico) and a transmission line using 8" Fostex FF225wk supplemented by an Eminence APT80 horn tweeter.
I am going to guess cabinets are birch or maple, possibly red cedar and knotty pine?

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #91,311 of 150,558
I am impressed that you built your own speakers! I spent some time working in speaker design with a good friend years ago but my shop is not set up for larger pieces at this time. My current project in spalted maple with a bit of mineral spirits applied to show off the color.😉CBC05671-8BFA-4F65-8394-62258FE67BB7.jpeg
I can manage to build using plywood then veneer to get a finished piece that my wife considers acceptable in the living room. I will never be able to build something so beautiful in solid wood! My hat is off to you!!
Cheers, Jim

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #91,312 of 150,558
I am going to guess cabinets are birch or maple, possibly red cedar and knotty pine?
BIBs are apple ply with mahogany stained pine edge strips to cover the ply edges and Baltic birch piece holding the driver (to gain a little spacing from the divider board which forms the horn channel).

The OBs are just plywood veneered with birch.

The Fonkens are Baltic birch with red oak veneer.

The Metronome is plywood with red oak veneer.

The transmission line is plywood with aromatic red ceder veneer. I let my wife choose that veneer; big mistake. I spent more on the veneer than the rest of the project. As soon as I unrolled the veneer, knots started popping out! It was brittle & hard to work. I thought four 2'x8' sheets would be enough for 3 projects; wrong! Only enough for that one set of speakers.

Cheers, Jim

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #91,313 of 150,558
I can manage to build using plywood then veneer to get a finished piece that my wife considers acceptable in the living room. I will never be able to build something so beautiful in solid wood! My hat is off to you!!
Cheers, Jim
Around here we have few choices in plywood veneer, maple, birch, hickory and maybe pine. I would think plywood is a good choice for DIY speakers.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #91,314 of 150,558
Around here we have few choices in plywood veneer, maple, birch, hickory and maybe pine. I would think plywood is a good choice for DIY speakers.
I believe void free plywood is superior to MDF. And plywood is much more stable than solid wood. Only the most skilled wood crafters can build speakers from solid wood and not have them fail with cracks/splits.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #91,315 of 150,558
Beautiful work!
But, I don't think those anti-vibration footers are up to the task. :sunglasses:

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #91,316 of 150,558
I did not , just rca inputs into the Kef . Don’t really want to connect that way as it’s easier to move rca cables to different amps , which I do.

did you also try testing the Rag 2 pre-outs into another amp & speaker, or scope them to verify that they are indeed active? also, did you try changing the gain settings of the Rag 2 (with volume turned down first)?

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #91,317 of 150,558

Wow. Very nice work!

And flat down to 25 Hz with the BIB? Way cool. Thanks for posting!

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #91,318 of 150,558
Apr 16, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #91,320 of 150,558
Beautiful work!
But, I don't think those anti-vibration footers are up to the task. :sunglasses:
They are pointy things!! Oh well.🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back