Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #91,336 of 150,227
I did not , just rca inputs into the Kef . Don’t really want to connect that way as it’s easier to move rca cables to different amps , which I do.
Well it's odd that the preouts don't work with just speakers working, as the manual specifically mentions the use of preouts (se or big circle) to connect a subwoofer.

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #91,337 of 150,227
Interesting. What can one do to refurbish a tube really? Resoldering the pins of course, but that’s just about the only thing I can think of, except general cleaning. 🤷‍♂️

But hey, maybe I can replace the plates of my worn out tubes with tinfoil and sell them for a premium! I just have do really quick work of it so the vacuum doesn’t escape 🤪

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #91,339 of 150,227
Amazon has a sorbothane.......hammer?!? :thinking:

1650154962967.png
I thought about it a bit and such a hammer might be used for delicate inlay work.

Now, in the 70's and 80's my technicians used something similar in electronics, wooden handle, soft rubber ball on the end. This was television related. There are some fairly technical people on the thread, any guesses?

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #91,340 of 150,227
Interesting. What can one do to refurbish a tube really? Resoldering the pins of course, but that’s just about the only thing I can think of, except general cleaning. 🤷‍♂️

But hey, maybe I can replace the plates of my worn out tubes with tinfoil and sell them for a premium! I just have do really quick work of it so the vacuum doesn’t escape 🤪
LOL! I suppose any loss of vacuum would mean the tube doesn't suck as much. That's kinda refurbished, right? :laughing:

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #91,341 of 150,227
LOL! I suppose any loss of vacuum would mean the tube doesn't suck as much. That's kinda refurbished, right? :laughing:
Exactly! :laughing:

How to make a bad tube suck less, in three simple steps (handles any size tube with ease): :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

197DF40D-F6F1-4BDD-A2A9-008B925331E2.jpeg

(Did I hear someone mention GE? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Apr 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #91,342 of 150,227
Lesson of the day: Belt drive turntables are like vampyres. Do not leave your Pro-Ject turntable ( in my case, my Essential III, 50th Anniversary Sgt. Pepper drum kit model!) in the sun light as the belt will become even more flaccid and useless...Dammit. I am such a toad.

I ordered a new belt. "SIGH"...

I have now placed my Technics SL-QD33 Direct Drive 'table in that location. I am keeping my Dual 1246 away from sun light. And my Denon DP-300F. And my Teac TN-300. And did I mention I am an idiot? Well, I am. :L3000:
bugs-bunny-hopeful.gif

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #91,343 of 150,227
Was perusing the latest issue of TAS at breakfast, and found a review of the 432 EVO Aeon music server, a $7,500 piece from Belgium. It includes the option of converting music from 440hz to 432hz via the firm's proprietary software. Wasn't that the point of The Gadget Mike was working on some years back? (And you guys think you've been waiting a long time for the Urd? Ha!) Anyway, the reviewer really disliked the conversion results but overall was positive about the server.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #91,344 of 150,227
Both were turned on
I'm sorry that you are having this issue, I can imagine that it's very frustrating.

I have a KEF R400b sub that I use with my Freya S/Vidar combo. I've noticed that I have to briefly turn up Freya's volume knob beyond normal listening levels for my KEF sub to activate. After the initial sub activation, the sub stays on for the rest of listening session unless I'm playing something at very low volumes for an extended time.

I don't know if you are having a similar issue or not. I hope that you get it sorted out soon.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #91,345 of 150,227
To all of you here who own Tyrs:
If you haven't played Béla Fleck's Flight of The Cosmic Hippo (on the album of the same name) yet, I don't know what you're doing with your lives. ;p
Thanks for the recommendation, I didn't know that Fleck album. The track's bass is not shabby on this headphone system, either :) But the mixing on some of the other tracks sounds like they did nothing to try to create a sense of physical space among instruments, everything seems to come from the same distance on a left-to-right arc.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #91,346 of 150,227
Both were turned on
There are other stories out there with people having trouble with the speaker's auto standby mode, which can't be disabled.

For example, this Redit article. It discusses having sufficient signal level on the inputs to overcome the auto standby. It's not necessarily the volume control on the Kube that matters, but the signal level on the RCA inputs.

Here's an interesting article about someone who engineered their own standby defeat switch on a Kube 2 that was giving them problems.

Perhaps the pre-out levels are too low at your preferred listening levels. Maybe disconnect the speakers then turn up the volume on the Ragnarok to see if it will get the speaker to come on. Maybe try some particularly bass heavy music and higher volumes just as a proof of concept.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #91,347 of 150,227
Was perusing the latest issue of TAS at breakfast, and found a review of the 432 EVO Aeon music server, a $7,500 piece from Belgium. It includes the option of converting music from 440hz to 432hz via the firm's proprietary software. Wasn't that the point of The Gadget Mike was working on some years back? (And you guys think you've been waiting a long time for the Urd? Ha!) Anyway, the reviewer really disliked the conversion results but overall was positive about the server.
I just read the vendor's blurb for that gadget, so much pseudo-technical obfuscation.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #91,348 of 150,227
I'm sorry that you are having this issue, I can imagine that it's very frustrating.

I have a KEF R400b sub that I use with my Freya S/Vidar combo. I've noticed that I have to briefly turn up Freya's volume knob beyond normal listening levels for my KEF sub to activate. After the initial sub activation, the sub stays on for the rest of listening session unless I'm playing something at very low volumes for an extended time.

I don't know if you are having a similar issue or not. I hope that you get it sorted out soon.
I some times leave my subs in the "ON" position as it is frustrating when that happens even when there should be more than enough bass from say, Ron Carter or Ray Brown. I had one sub that never worked, even when left on. I had the cable on the wrong out put. Yup. What a maroon! :L3000:

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #91,349 of 150,227
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #91,350 of 150,227
On bass-pushing test tracks: JSB's Toccata & Fugue BWV 565 played by Helmut Walcha on the St. Laurens, Alkmaar organ in 1956, DGG/Archiv recording re-released as the first tracks of "Bach: Great Organ Works" by Helmut Walcha. I first listened to this from the original Archiv vinyl release (which I still own for memory's sake) through my partly home-built system when I was a kid, never forgot those low low organ tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back