Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #91,111 of 149,402
I hope to check some of those out soon. I have some of the OG Lissts and plenty of 6SN7 tubes for comparison, I may be able to do a blind listen and compare them with 25 of the tubes my local group prefers. I am hoping for more detail at high frequencies, the OG covered lows and mids pretty well IMHO.
And hopefully without having an overly bright or sharp treble.

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #91,112 of 149,402
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #91,113 of 149,402
Very nice! Which amp feeds the Aegir?
Vidar*. I didn’t go with the aegir because the metas are low sensitivity, plus the confined space with all this hot gear made would be too much heat maybe.
The jot2 feeds the vidar and the V2 is exclusively for headphone.
Plan on buying a saga+ to use exclusively as a preamp for the vidar, and use the jot2 and V2 only for headphones 👍🏻.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #91,114 of 149,402
Looks good... but my god do those shelves look like knee killers.
giphy.gif
Lol. I have yet to hit my knees but i sire don’t want to.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #91,115 of 149,402
Just returned from business trip and hooked up my Tyr's. First impressions? Mixed. I'm hoping they improve with burn in.

I went from a single vidar into my Fyne 502s to the Tyr monos. Immediately I noticed much tighter and more pronounced bass. Then my wife and I noticed more detailed treble, especially snares and cymbals. But as we both smiled and continued to listen to a smattering of styles from Weezer, Tool, Beatles, Norah Jones, Alabama Shakes, Nicki Minaj, Adele, Sinatra, Nine Inch Nails, Qotsa, Pink Floyd, and countless others we noticed a negative. There is better, more precise treble and bass. But what happened to my wall of guitars? It became recessed behind snare and cymbal hits. It sounds V shaped right now, and I much prefer a nice W.

I've only had them on for 2 hours, hopefully this gets better with burn in. I have a loki mini in my turntable signal chain that I could move into the equation, but everything from my gumby forward is balanced right now, and I'm not really wanting to rewire for SE or drop another 1500 on a loki max.

Anybody else notice this?

20220414_102450.jpg

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #91,116 of 149,402
Just returned from business trip and hooked up my Tyr's. First impressions? Mixed. I'm hoping they improve with burn in.

I went from a single vidar into my Fyne 502s to the Tyr monos. Immediately I noticed much tighter and more pronounced bass. Then my wife and I noticed more detailed treble, especially snares and cymbals. But as we both smiled and continued to listen to a smattering of styles from Weezer, Tool, Beatles, Norah Jones, Alabama Shakes, Nicki Minaj, Adele, Sinatra, Nine Inch Nails, Qotsa, Pink Floyd, and countless others we noticed a negative. There is better, more precise treble and bass. But what happened to my wall of guitars? It became recessed behind snare and cymbal hits. It sounds V shaped right now, and I much prefer a nice W.

I've only had them on for 2 hours, hopefully this gets better with burn in. I have a loki mini in my turntable signal chain that I could move into the equation, but everything from my gumby forward is balanced right now, and I'm not really wanting to rewire for SE or drop another 1500 on a loki max.

20220414_102450.jpg
Did vocals sound recessed as well?

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #91,118 of 149,402

Consider pulling your speakers away from the front wall a little more. Experiment.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #91,119 of 149,402
Apr 14, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #91,121 of 149,402

20220414_102450.jpg
I'm not sure that a burnt-in set of Tyrs will get you your "wall of guitars" back…

I obviously can't hear what you're hearing in your room, but based on my experience with Tyr, I think that Tyr's strength is exactly what's causing your "wall of guitars" to "crumple".
Tyr is by far the cleanest and most detailed amp I've ever heard. But to get a wall of guitars, you need as much distortion as possible (without destroying the recoding's overall image in the process, obviously. Balance is key.)
Vidar is a great amp, don't get me wrong. It's one of the best 2100 dollar amps that one can buy new for a third of that sum. But compared to Tyr it's a little bit sloppy in its image. Pretty detailed frequency response, yes, but not very precise when it comes to positioning. That sloppiness could be what gave you that wall of guitars that you (so understandably) like.
I think it's entirely possible that Tyr's precision focuses the guitars in a way that's closer to what's in the recording, but that might just not be ideal for your personal taste.
As I mentioned in my review of Tyr last week: While my system has always allowed me to somewhat accurately place a musician in the room, with the addition of Tyr to my system, the image has now gotten so precise that I could shoot a fly off of a musician's shoulder.
Personally, I mostly listen to classical, alternative rock, and live recordings, so this kind of ultra-precise presentation is exactly what I was always searching for. The bands you listed for yourself make it appear to me, however, that your tastes go more into a direction where power and distortion is more important than accuracy to get the most pleasure out of your recordings.

You could try the Loki that you have if you feel like temporarily rewiring your system to SE, but I kinda doubt that an EQ will do the trick. To me, this sounds more of an amp topology thing than an EQ issue. Maybe worth a shot, though. :)

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #91,122 of 149,402
I'm not sure that a burnt-in set of Tyrs will get you your "wall of guitars" back…

I obviously can't hear what you're hearing in your room, but based on my experience with Tyr, I think that Tyr's strength is exactly what's causing your "wall of guitars" to "crumple".
Tyr is by far the cleanest and most detailed amp I've ever heard. But to get a wall of guitars, you need as much distortion as possible (without destroying the recoding's overall image in the process, obviously. Balance is key.)
Vidar is a great amp, don't get me wrong. It's one of the best 2100 dollar amps that one can buy new for a third of that sum. But compared to Tyr it's a little bit sloppy in its image. Pretty detailed frequency response, yes, but not very precise when it comes to positioning. That sloppiness could be what gave you that wall of guitars that you (so understandably) like.
I think it's entirely possible that Tyr's precision focuses the guitars in a way that's closer to what's in the recording, but that might just not be ideal for your personal taste.
As I mentioned in my review of Tyr last week: While my system has always allowed me to somewhat accurately place a musician in the room, with the addition of Tyr to my system, the image has now gotten so precise that I could shoot a fly off of a musician's shoulder.
Personally, I mostly listen to classical, alternative rock, and live recordings, so this kind of ultra-precise presentation is exactly what I was always searching for. The bands you listed for yourself make it appear to me, however, that your tastes go more into a direction where power and distortion is more important than accuracy to get the most pleasure out of your recordings.

You could try the Loki that you have if you feel like temporarily rewiring your system to SE, but I kinda doubt that an EQ will do the trick. To me, this sounds more of an amp topology thing than an EQ issue. Maybe worth a shot, though. :)
You may be correct. I'm starting to think it may be a recirding quality issue. I listened to Mississippi Queen by Mountain (flac rip streamed from my server). The drums are elevated, the lead guitar is very forward, but the rhythm guitar that sounds amazing on my Lyr 3 with ZMF sounds suppressed and veiled. The whole recording is kinda quiet and need a bump of volume compared to other recordings. I throw on the Black Keys new album Delta Cream, and everything sounds balanced. That makes me think ot could be actecording quality issue.

But thinking about your distortion comment is intetesting because vocals (male and female) sound great, so I feel like the mids are there, just not on guitars. On Them Crooked Vultures, John Paul Jones' bass is more defined and pronounced, Dave Grohl's cymbals and snares jump out of the mix. Josh Homme's vocals sound about the same as always. But Homme's guitars have become much less pronounced.

My Fyne 502s are 2.5 ways with a down firing bass port that bounces off hardwood floors. Maybe the extra bass provided by Tyr isn't a great match for this type of speaker, even with bass traps and room treatment.

For now though, burn in through Easter, then maybe a loki install.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #91,123 of 149,402
There's an old saying that goes something like " a more accurate reproducing system will result in fewer acceptable source recordings".

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #91,125 of 149,402
True. Anyway I am certainly willing to try the version 2's and hope to get with @Jason Stoddard soon to give some a listen.
I missed out on the LISST V1 - I procrastinated too much and they were discontinued before I could buy one. I will not make the same mistake with the V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back