Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 10, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #90,856 of 150,412
Great vid on how a Tyr is made

Very cool! A Carolina Blue 'Vette, a board stuffing machine in operation, sheet metal fabrication (feels like home), and even a Tyr Cart (although Asa looks like he could pick up a whole stack of Tyrs without breaking a sweat). Life is complete. :laughing:

Apr 10, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #90,858 of 150,412
Background: I had a system with 8 Vidars for a 7.1, with seven channels of Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, and a Velodyne subwoofer . Each speaker had its own Vidar and the fronts had 1.5 Vidars. So, I was clearly Vidars biggest fan, as expressed in monetary terms. Recently, I upgraded my subwoofer and I replaced my longest running and oldest piece of equipment, my 30+ old 18" Velodyne, with a Rythmic 18" subwoofer. I had bi-amped my front Martin Logan speakers, and used a single Vidar for the top ends (200 Hz to 20K+) and had used a stereo Vidar for the gap between the Velodyne (20 Hz to 65 Hz) and 200Hz. The Rythmic was good to 100 Hz so I dropped the stereo Vidar, and I did not see anymore Vidar shut downs at extreme high levels. So my system now has only had 7 Vidars. The Rythmic sub was a very great improvement.
A nice summary. Thanks! And out of curiosity, which Martin Logan electrostatic's...? 😀

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #90,861 of 150,412
Today I am trying some versions of the 6sl7 on the gain side in a Freya +. I have several types I forgot I owned, amongst which are a pair of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265107671759?hash=item3db9a60acf:g:HfUAAOSw07BgZMWf

The 6sl7's are working nicely in the Freya, not bad at all.

As well as Sylvania 5691's that must have been gifted to me by Mr. Cowen. I am starting to recognize his script. :ksc75smile:

I need to get Finnegan started on an amp for him and I will make an attempt to let @golfbravobravo hear it first, just to make sure it is good enough for Bill.

Apr 10, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #90,862 of 150,412
I need to get Finnegan started on an amp for him and I will make an attempt to let @golfbravobravo hear it first, just to make sure it is good enough for Bill.
Knowing what cats do inside cardboard boxes, maybe even @bcowen would pass on an amp constructed by Finnegan...

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #90,865 of 150,412
SchiitrMeet April 2022:
Return of the Blind

Hey all,

It's that time--time for a new in-person Schiitrmeet! This is the first one we've done in two years, and we thought we'd pick up exactly where we left off: with blind listening. Specifically, you'll get to compare Freya+ with tubes vs Freya+ with LISST vs a Freya tweaked for 6N1P Noval tubes. We're setting this up as double-blind and level-matched, so nobody will know which is which.

Respectfully (I love Schiit, I'm totally a schiitophile), but you're not getting much from a 3-way comparison of things that are super close.

The phenomenon is well known to the point that Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" talks about it in the context of tasting - people have an easy time distinguishing between two tastes of colas (which they're typically familiar with), but really really hard time with three, unless they're trained tasters.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #90,866 of 150,412
While reading the wonderful reviews of Tyr itself and Tyr vs Vidar, I have to wonder how Tyr sounds compared to Ragnarok 2.

I'm reminded of my feelings on Ragnarok 2 (and Gumby) when I read about strings hanging, long decay, bass texture/realism, the way percussion stands out, sounds being pulled out of the background, etc.

Also interesting to read and be reminded about what that extra power rating will get you and not get in terms of perceived loudness. Some of that I think is a moot point though. Do more r=people buy power amps to get extra or double db in their listening spaces? Or do more people buy the power amp to get better control, refinement and power in reserve to enhance their setup at the same listening levels. Vidar in mono is comparable in terms of wattage to Tyr.

In my case I thought Ragnarok was a nice upgrade over Vidar when listening at 75-85 db with swings to 95 db. That level doesnt push either amp very hard. Will be interesting to hear some comparisons of Tyr vs Ragnarok.

I was also wondering if a choke could be added as an external accessory to existing Schiit gear. Thinking Ragnarok, Gungnir, Aegir. I have seen external chokes available for certain medical devices. What are the chances Schiit would consider such external add ons for some of their existing products?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #90,867 of 150,412
Respectfully (I love Schiit, I'm totally a schiitophile), but you're not getting much from a 3-way comparison of things that are super close.

The phenomenon is well known to the point that Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" talks about it in the context of tasting - people have an easy time distinguishing between two tastes of colas (which they're typically familiar with), but really really hard time with three, unless they're trained tasters.
Maybe you're right.
But it can't hurt trying. :)

I'd also like to add that the difference between LISST (the OG ones in my case) and Schiit's usual 6SN7 that they include is actually pretty pronounced, I wouldn't necessarily call them "super close" together.

And in the end, it's all in good fun. It's not like half a dozen of slightly buzzed Schiitizens at a SchiitrMeet would decide which direction Freya will take. That's usually up to beta testers and thunder domes. I'd consider this whole thing more of a friendly get-together with the added benefit of having a bit of a positive marketing side effect from getting people to talk about upcoming Schiit. :)

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #90,868 of 150,412
Different line. I was referring to the thin line between unbiased objectivity and all- out 'Jason, I want to have your babies!' fanatascism. 😄
Ahhhhh. Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying, Ripper.

Will still pay your restocking fee if you want to try a pair-o-Tyrs, tho. :slight_smile::slight_smile: That's how convinced I am that they are awesome.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #90,869 of 150,412
Or do more people buy the power amp to get better control, refinement and power in reserve to enhance their setup at the same listening levels.
That would be the camp that I'd count myself towards. And it's precisely what I got from my Tyrs.

But in the case of Tyr, I don't think you should shop for one because you're looking for power. If power is what you want, dual-Vidars actually get you more power than you'd get with Tyrs. (Mono-Vidar is 400 Watt RMS into 8 ohm, Tyr's "only" 200 Watt RMS into 8 ohm.)

Instead, as far as I'm concerned, you should shop for Tyr for one of three reasons only:
a) because it's based on a choke-input topology instead of the usual capacitors, which means that you're looking at a much "faster responding" amp, which gets you more detail than you could ever get with a Vidar
b) because you want to drive lower-impedance speakers without running into overcurrent or temperature protection left and right
c) because you've got some money to burn
…or any combination of the three.

For me, it was a combination of a) and b). I don't need more power for my system, my dual-Aegirs were more than enough in that regard. I never listen louder than about 85, with the occasional peak to 90dB. What Tyr does for me is the detail delivery and the fact that I no longer have to worry about my low-ish (dropping to 3.2 ohm) impedance speakers being plugged into mono blocks that aren't really officially rated for anything that drops that far below 8 ohm.

If all you want is power, I'd go for dual-Vidars. They're cheaper, require a lot less real estate, and deliver more Wattage into 8 ohm.

For everything else, you can't go wrong with Tyr.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #90,870 of 150,412
In my experience “most people” buy amps because they think 110 walls is significantly more - and thus better - than one with 100 walls. In other words, those of us on forums like this who know better are NOT most people. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back