Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 9, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #90,826 of 151,046
🙄

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #90,827 of 151,046
My big rig room is 16x19 and 21 tube watts will rock the house quite nicely. 98 dB sensitivity speakers help a wee bit. :laughing:
Off the top of my head, mine will range from 87 to 104db. It will be a while before I get to my end result, I like choices. Friends are going to set up a few tube DAC’s that I can compare to my favorite.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #90,828 of 151,046
Off the top of my head, mine will range from 87 to 104db. It will be a while before I get to my end result, I like choices. Friends are going to set up a few tube DAC’s that I can compare to my favorite.
So you've retired from even swapping audio components? Dang. Maybe I was doing it all wrong on my first attempts. :laughing:

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #90,829 of 151,046
So you've retired from even swapping audio components? Dang. Maybe I was doing it all wrong on my first attempts. :laughing:
I have ideas for my final system but within it I will have options. A couple DAC’s, three power amps, a couple pre-amps, four or five headphone amps. I will have to have efficient speakers for a tube power amp I designed. It is a work in progress. Naturally I will build my own switch boxes, racks, and cables. Several pieces will be one of a kind including my final version of an Incubus amp. Simple stuff right?😜

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #90,830 of 151,046
Very nice, and you managed to do that without nicking the insulation of the wires inside. I have a few different tools that let you set depth of cut for larger cables but I use them so rarely I would spend more time hunting for them than using a knife like you did. :ksc75smile: That internal white cloth material is used to maintain the circular shape of the cable.
I was very careful, Paladin79 <g>. The black-jacketed Canare 4S11 is definitely a different material than the grey jacket; it cuts much easier with a good knife. While the retractable blade Stanley knife you see in the picture is not a good knife per-se, the Fiskars Pro Replacement blades (CarbonMax, 771010-1001) make it one. These blades are supremely sharp, better than some Xacto blades I've used in the past. They last forever - 5 blades (for $5 at AMZN) last as long as 50 standard carbon steel blades. They are amazing for cutting sheetrock, too.

You should see them cut through cardboard, @bcowen. (No, really, I'm not kidding!)

The funny part that you didn't see was me trying to thread those locking bananas through the 1/2" shrink tubing. The first one barely fit, and with two wires through, I said a few bad words getting the second jack through... but since the connectors are crimped on at Blue Jeans Cable, I had no other option. Thought about running out to Ace Hardware to get some 5/8" shrink, but I am intrinsically lazy, and told myself that I rather enjoyed the challenge. :) Am thinking about asking Kurt to make me two pair of "mono" bi-wires - wonder if it might make sense to do that with the Belden 10-gauge wire he touts? That would also eliminate the issue of the 6" center-to-center binding post spacing on the Tyrs.

Just don't know if it makes sense electrically to double up on wire. Things are sounding pretty spectacular right now.

p.s. not that I need to spend any more money... after those d_mned quarterly tax payments end of last month (and a pair of Tyrs), I should just sit back and listen for a while...

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #90,831 of 151,046
No, it's not overpowering at all.
That's one of the things that I find so difficult to explain about Tyr. The bass, it's just there. It just exists, at just the correct amount, without a hint of stress or that typical "trying too hard" you get from some of the more modern DSP-corrected gear or from most car stereos.
I don't like the term "natural" in describing sound, because it's so utterly relative and therefore more or less just meaningless. But I honestly don't know how else to describe it. Tyr's bass response is … natural-sounding.

My comment about having to dial it back a little was mostly before the background of me living in an apartment building and that I share walls with three other units. And being the good Rule-Abiding German™️ that I am, always with an eye on my lease terms and the town's quiet hour regulations, I just don't want to push things too far with my already very patient neighbors.

With my Q950s dropping down to 3.2 ohm, the bass my Vidars and Aegirs are able to deliver was always more on the anemic side of things. Not exactly perfect, of course, but it helped with keeping things civilized. Tyr's bass is the way it should be, but I will now have to dial it back just a bit at night to stay in good graces with my neighbors.

That's all. :)
I second AP's comments. The B&W 804 D3s have a similar response curve to the KEFs - their impedance magnitude drops to 3 ohms at 100Hz, and stays around 3-3.5 ohms from 90Hz to 250Hz (or so). B&W actually calls them 8 ohm nominal, but also make it clear that their minimum impedance is 3 ohms. And that's at a very power-hungry part of the frequency spectrum.

While the Vidars were not uncomfortable with this situation, the Tyrs appear to be much more comfortable driving this load. (I'm sure that @Jason Stoddard could explain this better than I can). More current available? Yeah probably but... I'm a mech E, not an EE so I dunno. The "water hose analogy" of electricity that they taught us only goes so far; we were much more concerned about bridges not falling down, etc... imaginary numbers? What? <g>

I deliberately switched Loki out of the circuit because I wanted to hear what the unmodified signal sounded like. Within the first hour of listening to the Tyrs, it was clearly apparent that I'd need to turn down the 120Hz pot on Loki more than a couple of clicks, and probably 20Hz and 400Hz a click, too. I also knew that this meant that I could move the speakers forward into the listening room, and wider apart than their current config. I didn't take this lightly; I marked their original positions and moved them one inch forward, one inch in at a time...

I ended up 4" forward from the previous position, with the speakers slightly closer together. Then, to toss everything on its ear - I reduced the toe-in a tiny bit (but what felt like a lot).

Bass is still amazingly robust, but now it's solid af without being boomy in any way. And while Tyr is probably mostly responsible (IMHO) for the soundstage improvements and a few other things, it's clear that moving the speakers (to 'overcome' Tyr's add'l strength in the upper-bass / lower-mid-bass region) also help the B&Ws sing better.

It's all good. And my neighbors just returned from their vacation, so I guess I need to turn it down a bit, also. /ds

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #90,832 of 151,046
I was very careful, Paladin79 <g>. The black-jacketed Canare 4S11 is definitely a different material than the grey jacket; it cuts much easier with a good knife. While the retractable blade Stanley knife you see in the picture is not a good knife per-se, the Fiskars Pro Replacement blades (CarbonMax, 771010-1001) make it one. These blades are supremely sharp, better than some Xacto blades I've used in the past. They last forever - 5 blades (for $5 at AMZN) last as long as 50 standard carbon steel blades. They are amazing for cutting sheetrock, too.

You should see them cut through cardboard, @bcowen. (No, really, I'm not kidding!)

The funny part that you didn't see was me trying to thread those locking bananas through the 1/2" shrink tubing. The first one barely fit, and with two wires through, I said a few bad words getting the second jack through... but since the connectors are crimped on at Blue Jeans Cable, I had no other option. Thought about running out to Ace Hardware to get some 5/8" shrink, but I am intrinsically lazy, and told myself that I rather enjoyed the challenge. :) Am thinking about asking Kurt to make me two pair of "mono" bi-wires - wonder if it might make sense to do that with the Belden 10-gauge wire he touts? That would also eliminate the issue of the 6" center-to-center binding post spacing on the Tyrs.

Just don't know if it makes sense electrically to double up on wire. Things are sounding pretty spectacular right now.

p.s. not that I need to spend any more money... after those d_mned quarterly tax payments end of last month (and a pair of Tyrs), I should just sit back and listen for a while...
I rarely use utility knives unless I work with drywall or carpet. I tend to make my own knives and set the blade angles for specific applications.😊

Apr 10, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #90,834 of 151,046
Anyone know about lead times on the yggy lim upgrade with self install.
I ordered mine December 29th and was hoping to have it by now but I did read they are having problems getting a certain part so I understand. I'd just like to possibly have an idea when it might show up.
Best place is the source ...

General questions: info@schiit.com
Questions about your order: orders@schiit.com

Apr 10, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #90,835 of 151,046
I have decided to break with my own tradition.
For the first time since I’ve made this account, I will not post a detailed write-up about some new Schiit I bought.

For two reasons:
Because
a) Tyr has broken my brain, and
b) there’s just no way of doing Tyr justice without sounding like I’m talking out my a$$.

With point a) I can deal, but I am honestly struggling with point b).

This, here, is the internet’s Schiit Central. This is where all the Schiitizens, all the Schiitheads, all of Schiit’s most hard-core Fan Bois and Gyrls hang out to enjoy their fun little circle jerk. Honest and measured criticism is held at a minimum – unless it is about power switches, VU meters, and the layer count of packaging cardboard, of course — and every iota of improvement in sound quality from one product generation to the next is celebrated in the most prosaic terms imaginable, just as if the step-up (or, dare I say it, down?) from a Modi 3 to a Modi 3E would equate to the beginning of a whole new era in audiophilia.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m totally fine with that! In fact, that’s precisely what I’m here for.

But it does leave me with a problem:
If the superlatives that are being thrown around to describe something like the relatively small step up from, say, a Modi to a Modius already use up 98% of the real estate on the spectrum between “nuanced and objective” on the one end and “ridiculously over the top” on the other, then how is one to describe Tyr’s performance without sounding completely and utterly bat-Schiit crazy?

Seriously, I mean it! I am honest to goodness struggling to come up with the right words to describe these amps and do them justice, but without making me sound like I’d lost all my marbles and any and all of what may have been left of my objectivity.

And so I decided that I won’t.
There’s just no point.
Nobody who has not heard them for themselves would believe me anyway. Nor would I blame them.

So, instead of my usual 3000+ word essays about listening impressions, I’ll leave you with the following:

In pretty much every single aspect that you can think or even dream of, Tyr is nothing 👏🏻 short 👏🏻 of 👏🏻 phenomenal.

I’ll be honest with you, I got them purely as a vanity purchase. I didn’t need to buy them. I was happy with my dual-Aegirs. I had almost no complaints. Sure, I could hear my Vidars and Aegirs struggle sometimes with the load of the Q950s. They’re rated at 8 ohm, but they drop down to 3.2 – and if you know what you’re listening for, you can tell. But I still love the way these amps sound. They’re playing nicely with the rest of my system.
But Jason’s “30 years in the making” chapter made me curious, and so I decided to get me a pair anyway.

Based on Jason’s descriptions, I expected them to sound kinda like Aegir, but not quite as warm. Kinda like Vidar, but not quite as analytical.

But that’s not at all what I got when I switched them on.
What I got instead was ……… nothing?

Yes, nothing. I said it, I meant it, and I’m here to represent it.

These Tyrs, they … well … they don’t sound.

As far as I can tell, they really have no color to them. I don’t know how that’s even possible. Admittedly, my experience with higher-grade audio gear is quite a bit more limited than that of some of you guys here, but I’ve heard my fair share of systems. And now I think I understand, for the first time, what “truly transparent” actually means.
It’s obviously a load of bull for anyone to proclaim that their system would make recordings sound “like the artist intended”. Unless you are the artist or you’ve been in the studio or at the venue during recording, you can’t possibly know what “sounds as intended” or “100% accurate” even means.
So I obviously won’t go there.
What I mean by “truly transparent” is that you hear absolutely everything. And I mean every last detail, but without any harshness whatsoever.

There is an effortlessness to what these amps do that’s completely screwing with my brain. I am hearing a level of detail in songs that I thought I knew like the back of my hand. I am hearing detail that I’ve never even heard with the most brutally revealing and unforgiving of my headphone setups. I have spent much of yesterday night going back and forth between the Tyrs and my ribbon headphones to check whether I’m just imagining things. I’ve even put my Aegirs and Vidars back into the system, just to make sure.

For the first time in my life and with any system I’ve ever heard, kick drums sound like actual, real-life kick drums. You get to hear everything, and not just the “thud” of the drum itself. From the first nanosecond of the beater’s impact onto the skin, to the interaction between the skin and the drum’s barrel, all the way through to the last bit of the drum’s vibrations fading out into quiet, dead air.

A concert piano actually sounds like it stands right there in front of you. Listen closely, and you’ll not just hear that distinctive timbre, that interplay between the piano’s strings and its iron frame and wooden body that you get out of a good, quality system, but also the movement of the key action, the pianist’s depressing of the pedals – even the pianist’s breathing.

Yet none of this comes with any harshness. You can get somewhat close-ish to this level of detail with some analytical amps, like Vidar. But at least for my personal taste, you always find yourself toeing the line between detail and something that’s like pins and needles to your ears. They ensure that you get to hear the full beauty that’s in your music, but they also amplify all of the warts and wrinkles in those recordings — and you find yourself never truly relaxing, never truly giving fully in to your music.
To avoid that, you choose to go with something warmer, like a pair of Aegirs. Now all those nasty pins and needles are a thing of the past, but so is a bit of that detail.

Tyr does neither. They don’t amplify any warts and wrinkles, but neither do they hide anything from you. They simply present you with what’s in your recording, and they make absolutely no fuss about it. They just sit there, in their smoking jacket and alpaca wool slippers, leaning back in their lounge chairs, sipping on a glass of 50 years old single-malt Glenfiddich, smiling, while they watch you drool like a freshly lobotomized imbecile over the show they’re putting on for you.

And don’t get me started on staging. Exactly as @dstrimbu has already described in an earlier post, the stage I get from them is mind-bending. It’s not just much wider than the room itself, not just twice as high or 1.5x as deep as it ever was before. The stage fully envelops you.

Separation? Just listen to a live acoustic or jazz recording, and while you could always tell exactly where in the room each instrument was placed, now you’ll be able to shoot a fly off that bassist’s shoulder without so much as gracing her dress.

Bass? It's otherworldly. It goes deep, it's linear, it's lush, it's instant, it's crystal clear — nothing short of phenomenal.

Noise? None that I can hear. And believe me, I’ve planted my ear right against my Q950s’ Uni-Q drivers.
(Take that, ASR! It just don’t get any more scientific than that.)

And they run cool. Really cool. The only piece of gear in my chain that runs cooler to the touch than these Tyrs is my M1 Mac mini. When it’s sleeping.

I honestly don’t know how Tyr does it. I’m sure that a big part of the overall impression is coming from my Yggy OG, as it alone elevated the level of detail, separation, and staging my system could reproduce worlds above the Gumby, or any other DAC that I had in that system before this Yggy arrived. But my Aegirs are highly capable amps. And so are my Vidars. Yet these Tyrs make them sound like toys. And they do so without so much as breaking a god-damned sweat.

If it’s all down to the choke-input topology, and Schiit’s competition isn’t making use of them for the reasons Jason mentioned in Tyr’s release chapter, then they’re just dumb.

Based on anything I’ve seen and heard from Schiit’s competition, Tyr physically shouldn’t be possible. If it were, they’d make their own Tyrs, and they’d sell them for five to ten times of what Schiit’s asking for them.

But they don’t. What they do make is Aegir and Vidar competitors for five to ten times the cost of a Tyr.

And now, Jason’s “little” pet project of 30 years is wiping the floor with even the best of them.

I have said it before, and I am sure that I will say it again:
Schiit doesn’t believe in the law of diminishing returns. In fact, they turn it on its head: The higher up the price scale you climb, the bigger your returns.

See? I told you I wouldn’t know how to do Tyr justice without sounding like a driveling Schiit fan boi.
But such is Tyr; it blew my mind and broke my brain.

It’s that good.
I am about to give you my review of Tyr amps, after upgrading from Vidar amps, but first I digress.

I love Curly, of the Three Stooges, but I hated Shemp. A friend of mine challenged my opinion of Shemp, and he said I should give him a second chance. I took this to heart, and I rewatched the Shemp episodes, and saw for the first time that, Shemp was indeed funny, but I realized that had hated him simply because he was not Curly. Now I can appreciate Shemp knowing that Curly was not able to make new episodes, and that Shemp was much better than nothing.

Short version of my review, I am trying hard not to hate Vidars.

Disclaimer: As i started/tried to write my review, I opened a bottle of Laphroaig, so at this point grammar, spelling, and coherence are optional, but I did my best.

I just got my Tyrs, hooked them up, and then I ran them for about 3 hours.

Background: I had a system with 8 Vidars for a 7.1, with seven channels of Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, and a Velodyne subwoofer . Each speaker had its own Vidar and the fronts had 1.5 Vidars. So, I was clearly Vidars biggest fan, as expressed in monetary terms. Recently, I upgraded my subwoofer and I replaced my longest running and oldest piece of equipment, my 30+ old 18" Velodyne, with a Rythmic 18" subwoofer. I had bi-amped my front Martin Logan speakers, and used a single Vidar for the top ends (200 Hz to 20K+) and had used a stereo Vidar for the gap between the Velodyne (20 Hz to 65 Hz) and 200Hz. The Rythmic was good to 100 Hz so I dropped the stereo Vidar, and I did not see anymore Vidar shut downs at extreme high levels. So my system now has only had 7 Vidars. The Rythmic sub was a very great improvement.

Next, I replaced two Vidars, Front Right and Front Left, with two Tyr amps. This took most of my Saturday afternoon moving stuff around in the rack and since Tyr amps are twice as wide, I added an extra shelf. My review is only about the two front stereo speakers and the Rythmic subwoofer only. The other channels are not used when I listen to music. The surround 7.1 is only for movies. I switch the front channels between Stereo and and Surround using a Ragnarok as a preamp/headphone amplifier. I will recalibrate my Denon Surround processor later this week for movies.

I also wanted to say that while setting up the Tyrs, and listening, I had not yet read any of the Tyr reviews.

However, I did catch up on Head-fi and I read the reviews before I starting writing my review and I share the enthusiasm of the other reviewers of Tyr. I think only someone who had heard a pair of Try amps, could understand the previous reviews.

I started my listening with a favorite HD recording of Stevie Ray Vaughn. I was blown away. I could hear more than I ever could. Mind blown! It sounded like I had taken the cotton out of my ears. The improvement was not just the High end or low end it was everything. I definitely could hear more of the drums, and I could hear the strings die out over a much longer period of time. I could hear the subtleness of the drummer, that I never heard before. I became aware of the drummer, I think using brushes to get a subtle effect that I never heard before. My favorite album is new again. I could hear more than I ever heard at home or at his concerts. The Tyr and the Rhythmic combine to give the finest sounding drums I have ever heard.

Next, I thought I should try an old, "normal", average, non-HD recording so I went to Leon Redbone from 1975. It was like hearing it for the first time, and I fell in love with his music all over again. I heard stuff that was never there before. It reminded me of the times I saw him live, and up close except I could hear more.

Next, I went to an old Windham Hill recording of Michael Hedges, Arial Boundaries. As he plucked the strings, they seem like they took forever to finally die away. His music seemed new again. It felt like someone turned on a slight reverb and the strings kept going. I could hear his guitar clearer than I could when I hear him when he started out in the local coffee shops in the SF bay area, and I was only a few feet away.

Next on to: Old and In the Way, with David Grisman and Jerry Garcia. Everything sounds new again. More to listen to, more to love.

Many of the musicians I love are gone now, but Tyr gives more more of them, even after their passing.

Warning: If I like your music, there is a strong chance you are going to die.

I did not go to the best recordings, I tried to find an examples of everything I liked, loved or knew well, and yet, I could not find a single album or song that did not sound better with Tyr, Midnight oil, Justin Johnson, etc, all were new again.

No matter what I threw at the Tyr amps, they made it sound better.

The last biggest prior improvement to my system was my Yiggy OG. (This as back before, we knew to call it OG). I loved it so much I told an audio friend about it and he said "I am old I would not be able to hear the difference anymore." I had him come over and listen to the Yiggy. He bought one. Later when we listened to his Yiggy we would comment "I never hear that xxx". We both could hear stuff we never heard before. Like a tambourine lost in the mix a subtle brush of a drum or a second guitar riff, or we could tell that percussive sound was a wood block. We could hear it was wood! His wife got so mad at us that, she told us we were never allowed to say "I never heard xxx before". However the Yiggy's magic did not work on every recording. It made many things sound better, but not all things.

So far, I have yet to find a recording that the Tyr did make sound better. and that I did not find something new that was lost in the "mix". "Mix" equals sound less than that of a a Tyr.

Maybe I am old, maybe I drank too much Laphroaig, maybe I drank too much of the Schiit Koolade, (probably better than eating Schiit.), but this is the single biggest audio improvement I have ever made to my moderate audio system. (I have archived audio moderation, only because more would have been excessive.)
Conclusion:
Vidar = Shemp
Tyr = Curly

It is 1AM I am going to bed...

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #90,836 of 151,046
About wattage and loudness.
I assume most of you audio guys ad gals know this, to get an audible double loudness, you need + 10dB, to achieve that you need 10x the extra wattage from the power amp.
So to sound twice as loud you need to go from 80 watts (Aegir) to 800 watts, if even your speakers can handle that. Most likely not.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #90,837 of 151,046
I am about to give you my review of Tyr amps, after upgrading from Vidar amps, but first I digress.

I love Curly, of the Three Stooges, but I hated Shemp. A friend of mine challenged my opinion of Shemp, and he said I should give him a second chance. I took this to heart, and I rewatched the Shemp episodes, and saw for the first time that, Shemp was indeed funny, but I realized that had hated him simply because he was not Curly. Now I can appreciate Shemp knowing that Curly was not able to make new episodes, and that Shemp was much better than nothing.

Short version of my review, I am trying hard not to hate Vidars.

Disclaimer: As i started/tried to write my review, I opened a bottle of Laphroaig, so at this point grammar, spelling, and coherence are optional, but I did my best.

I just got my Tyrs, hooked them up, and then I ran them for about 3 hours.

Background: I had a system with 8 Vidars for a 7.1, with seven channels of Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, and a Velodyne subwoofer . Each speaker had its own Vidar and the fronts had 1.5 Vidars. So, I was clearly Vidars biggest fan, as expressed in monetary terms. Recently, I upgraded my subwoofer and I replaced my longest running and oldest piece of equipment, my 30+ old 18" Velodyne, with a Rythmic 18" subwoofer. I had bi-amped my front Martin Logan speakers, and used a single Vidar for the top ends (200 Hz to 20K+) and had used a stereo Vidar for the gap between the Velodyne (20 Hz to 65 Hz) and 200Hz. The Rythmic was good to 100 Hz so I dropped the stereo Vidar, and I did not see anymore Vidar shut downs at extreme high levels. So my system now has only had 7 Vidars. The Rythmic sub was a very great improvement.

Next, I replaced two Vidars, Front Right and Front Left, with two Tyr amps. This took most of my Saturday afternoon moving stuff around in the rack and since Tyr amps are twice as wide, I added an extra shelf. My review is only about the two front stereo speakers and the Rythmic subwoofer only. The other channels are not used when I listen to music. The surround 7.1 is only for movies. I switch the front channels between Stereo and and Surround using a Ragnarok as a preamp/headphone amplifier. I will recalibrate my Denon Surround processor later this week for movies.

I also wanted to say that while setting up the Tyrs, and listening, I had not yet read any of the Tyr reviews.

However, I did catch up on Head-fi and I read the reviews before I starting writing my review and I share the enthusiasm of the other reviewers of Tyr. I think only someone who had heard a pair of Try amps, could understand the previous reviews.

I started my listening with a favorite HD recording of Stevie Ray Vaughn. I was blown away. I could hear more than I ever could. Mind blown! It sounded like I had taken the cotton out of my ears. The improvement was not just the High end or low end it was everything. I definitely could hear more of the drums, and I could hear the strings die out over a much longer period of time. I could hear the subtleness of the drummer, that I never heard before. I became aware of the drummer, I think using brushes to get a subtle effect that I never heard before. My favorite album is new again. I could hear more than I ever heard at home or at his concerts. The Tyr and the Rhythmic combine to give the finest sounding drums I have ever heard.

Next, I thought I should try an old, "normal", average, non-HD recording so I went to Leon Redbone from 1975. It was like hearing it for the first time, and I fell in love with his music all over again. I heard stuff that was never there before. It reminded me of the times I saw him live, and up close except I could hear more.

Next, I went to an old Windham Hill recording of Michael Hedges, Arial Boundaries. As he plucked the strings, they seem like they took forever to finally die away. His music seemed new again. It felt like someone turned on a slight reverb and the strings kept going. I could hear his guitar clearer than I could when I hear him when he started out in the local coffee shops in the SF bay area, and I was only a few feet away.

Next on to: Old and In the Way, with David Grisman and Jerry Garcia. Everything sounds new again. More to listen to, more to love.

Many of the musicians I love are gone now, but Tyr gives more more of them, even after their passing.

Warning: If I like your music, there is a strong chance you are going to die.

I did not go to the best recordings, I tried to find an examples of everything I liked, loved or knew well, and yet, I could not find a single album or song that did not sound better with Tyr, Midnight oil, Justin Johnson, etc, all were new again.

No matter what I threw at the Tyr amps, they made it sound better.

The last biggest prior improvement to my system was my Yiggy OG. (This as back before, we knew to call it OG). I loved it so much I told an audio friend about it and he said "I am old I would not be able to hear the difference anymore." I had him come over and listen to the Yiggy. He bought one. Later when we listened to his Yiggy we would comment "I never hear that xxx". We both could hear stuff we never heard before. Like a tambourine lost in the mix a subtle brush of a drum or a second guitar riff, or we could tell that percussive sound was a wood block. We could hear it was wood! His wife got so mad at us that, she told us we were never allowed to say "I never heard xxx before". However the Yiggy's magic did not work on every recording. It made many things sound better, but not all things.

So far, I have yet to find a recording that the Tyr did make sound better. and that I did not find something new that was lost in the "mix". "Mix" equals sound less than that of a a Tyr.

Maybe I am old, maybe I drank too much Laphroaig, maybe I drank too much of the Schiit Koolade, (probably better than eating Schiit.), but this is the single biggest audio improvement I have ever made to my moderate audio system. (I have archived audio moderation, only because more would have been excessive.)
Conclusion:
Vidar = Shemp
Tyr = Curly

It is 1AM I am going to bed...
Yyyyep… Tyr does that to ya.

It should come with a warning.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #90,838 of 151,046
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #90,839 of 151,046
My thoughts exactly. I'm in a 11x12 room with Rag v1 and Tekton Lore Reference. I'd love to see Tyr's choke technology trickle down to a 35 or 40w stereo amp. 😏
I have a feeling it'd cost $1499 each. I mean, how much money could it possibly save in parts? These guys are so close to the bone as it is.
Yeah, he just doesn't post his picture very often. :laughing:

1649555292983.png
Is that my brother?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back