Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 9, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #90,796 of 149,407
I will be expanding horizontally instead of vertically to try to diminish the flag pole effect😜😜. I considered using maple or walnut but I will stick with solid cherry with copper supports. My current big rack is only 38 inches tall and I can vary the shelf heights as much or as littler as I wish. It also sits on a tile floor so I have few worries of disturbing a turntable unless Finnegan decides to leap. :ksc75smile:
That height also accommodates the limitations of being over 70 years of age.

Apr 9, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #90,797 of 149,407
That height also accommodates the limitations of being over 70 years of age.
I want to be able to move each rack separately so I can easily get behind them. I use special pads so the racks slide easily and they decouple the rack from the tiled floor. Spikes work well for carpet, especially with speakers. I hope to not change equipment as much as I used to but I will have eight square feet on top for swapping out headphone amps and trying new equipment.

I did give two OG Lissts a listen in my Freya + then tried pairs by Melz (1954 and 1958) as well as the usual 5692's. I may try some quality 6SL7's later today. Reflektor and Melz 1579's and some very nice Sylvania 6SL7's that @sam6550a was kind enough to send. Cathode Follower side I am staying with some Raytheon's for now.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #90,799 of 149,407
Does the Tyr ADD bass? Is the bass over powering?
No, it's not overpowering at all.
That's one of the things that I find so difficult to explain about Tyr. The bass, it's just there. It just exists, at just the correct amount, without a hint of stress or that typical "trying too hard" you get from some of the more modern DSP-corrected gear or from most car stereos.
I don't like the term "natural" in describing sound, because it's so utterly relative and therefore more or less just meaningless. But I honestly don't know how else to describe it. Tyr's bass response is … natural-sounding.

My comment about having to dial it back a little was mostly before the background of me living in an apartment building and that I share walls with three other units. And being the good Rule-Abiding German™️ that I am, always with an eye on my lease terms and the town's quiet hour regulations, I just don't want to push things too far with my already very patient neighbors.

With my Q950s dropping down to 3.2 ohm, the bass my Vidars and Aegirs are able to deliver was always more on the anemic side of things. Not exactly perfect, of course, but it helped with keeping things civilized. Tyr's bass is the way it should be, but I will now have to dial it back just a bit at night to stay in good graces with my neighbors.

That's all. :)

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #90,800 of 149,407
No, it's not overpowering at all.
That's one of the things that I find so difficult to explain about Tyr. The bass, it's just there. It just exists, at just the correct amount, without a hint of stress or that typical "trying too hard" you get from some of the more modern DSP-corrected gear or from most car stereos.
I don't like the term "natural" in describing sound, because it's so utterly relative and therefore more or less just meaningless. But I honestly don't know how else to describe it. Tyr's bass response is … natural-sounding.

My comment about having to dial it back a little was mostly before the background of me living in an apartment building and that I share walls with three other units. And being the good Rule-Abiding German™️ that I am, always with an eye on my lease terms and the town's quiet hour regulations, I just don't want to push things too far with my already very patient neighbors.

With my Q950s dropping down to 3.2 ohm, the bass my Vidars and Aegirs are able to deliver was always more on the anemic side of things. Not exactly perfect, of course, but it helped with keeping things civilized. Tyr's bass is the way it should be, but I will now have to dial it back just a bit at night to stay in good graces with my neighbors.

That's all. :)
Got it. Thank you.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #90,803 of 149,407
Now that I've been spoiled rotten with this wicked magic that is chokes, I wonder if this would be something that could also work this well in (balanced!) headphone amps…?
Mjolnir 3, anyone? 😇
I mean... you could get adapters and run (low impedance) headphones off Tyr... just saying 😏

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #90,805 of 149,407
Of course you can uncross the line, silly - Schiit offers a 15-day try-Tyr-at-home offer, and if you don't like them... I'll pay the 5% restocking fee for ya. :) :) :)
Different line. I was referring to the thin line between unbiased objectivity and all- out 'Jason, I want to have your babies!' fanatascism. 😄

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #90,806 of 149,407
Different line. I was referring to the thin line between unbiased objectivity and all- out 'Jason, I want to have your babies!' fanatascism. 😄
I had to read that twice... my coffee ☕ had not kicked in... for a second I thought you were offering to have Jason's babies 😆 🤣 😂 😹

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #90,808 of 149,407
Is unbiased objectivity different than plain objectivity? Asking for a friend. :laughing:

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #90,809 of 149,407
It is ultra super objective as opposed to wishy-washy objective. You know like SBAF vs ASR. 😏

I see that you've finally crawled out of bed and decided to join the living after Tarheels' loss. 😛

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #90,810 of 149,407
It is ultra super objective as opposed to wishy-washy objective. You know like SBAF vs ASR. 😏

I see that you've finally crawled out of bed and decided to join the living after Tarheels' loss. 😛
I forgot how to spell Bite Me. Be right back....

☹️☹️☹️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back