Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #90,286 of 150,691
Dude, what? They are stereo pairs. They work together.

?

It would have to be silver vs. black.
No match there. Silver FTW!!! :D

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #90,288 of 150,691
There must be something in the air today. My COO just repeated to me a project suggestion my Engineering team had made to him last September and which he had vetoed. So this previous design set is now the "new direction we should pursue" of course undoing the last 6 months' work. At least in your world you are following your own and your team's ideas, not having to swing to the breeze of a non-engineer MBA executive's whim...

Ah well, another few months closer to retirement.
Nothing is paradise. You can always screw yourself. One of my "issues" is that I'm second-guessing my own strategy set into motion several months ago. It made total sense at the time. Now that we are continuing to see supply chain problems, it may not be the brightest idea to limit our options.

On the other hand, I did figure out one problem. When you configure an undervoltage lockout to the input voltage, what happens? Answer: nada. Which was what was happening. So there you go.

Still lots of other stupid errors on the same product, though.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #90,289 of 150,691
In the software QA world, I was responsible for calling a release "done". Then, at the last minute some exec would have a brilliant idea, that had to be included "now!"
We called that AEU: Arbitrary Executive Urgency.
Good one. In my case it went something like this:
Me, Sept. 2021: Here's solution one which the team thinks is the best path forward, it will cost approximately $XX dollars to implement
COO: Whoa, that's too much! Come up with a solution that will only cost $X dollars!
Me, March 2022: OK, after thousands of man-hours and seventeen different design evolutions, here's solution two, it is just a little over $X dollars
COO: Cool, but what if we do solution one? Wouldn't that be better? I know you said $XX dollars, but let's redo those numbers.
Me: Yessir Yessir three bags full sir. (Where's the pub?)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #90,290 of 150,691
Then you move on or retire.
Thinking about moving on, but retirement is not in my future. I'm one of those weirdos who die within a few weeks of having retired. I can't even spend a weekend without working on something.
(I'm not a workaholic, I just truly enjoy keeping my mind busy.)

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #90,291 of 150,691
Nothing is paradise. You can always screw yourself. One of my "issues" is that I'm second-guessing my own strategy set into motion several months ago. It made total sense at the time. Now that we are continuing to see supply chain problems, it may not be the brightest idea to limit our options.

On the other hand, I did figure out one problem. When you configure an undervoltage lockout to the input voltage, what happens? Answer: nada. Which was what was happening. So there you go.

Still lots of other stupid errors on the same product, though.
Me: Hey Jordan, no matter what I do there is a periodic noise spike on the output of this opamp circuit. I've tried every opamp in our design set and I get the same result, and the spike trips the system off line. Any idea?
Jordan: Did you try using the regulated lab power rather than plugging your test mule into the wall?
Me: Oh.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #90,292 of 150,691
Good one. In my case it went something like this:
Me, Sept. 2021: Here's solution one which the team thinks is the best path forward, it will cost approximately $XX dollars to implement
COO: Whoa, that's too much! Come up with a solution that will only cost $X dollars!
Me, March 2022: OK, after thousands of man-hours and seventeen different design evolutions, here's solution two, it is just a little over $X dollars
COO: Cool, but what if we do solution one? Wouldn't that be better? I know you said $XX dollars, but let's redo those numbers.
Me: Yessir Yessir three bags full sir. (Where's the pub?)
Always great when it's the Chief Operating Officer, of all people, who's the one burning a company's resources. You know, the person whose ONE job it is to run the place efficiently… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #90,294 of 150,691
Maybe reading this wrong but...The right output is positive, and left output is negative, but both are active
if looking at rear is seems opposite. Not sure if it matters in the current world.

of course maybe you attach the cables from the front like you flip the power switch.
(revised)
Tyr is a monoblock amp (one channel per unit), so you need a pair for stereo.
Sorry, I mis-understood the post. Yes, I agree that manual sounds backwards as one would view positive terminal on the left side when looking at the amp from the rear per the pictorial.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #90,295 of 150,691
Tyr is a monoblock amp (one channel per unit), so you need a pair for stereo.
They are commenting that the description is "Right is positive and left is negative", but in the picture, from behind, the left has a + and the right has a - by it, suggesting left is positive and right is negative:

1648678364141.png

The manual says:

1648678475536.png

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #90,296 of 150,691
I knew if I got the ball rolling someone could improve on it! The VU meters was so obvious I can’t believe I left them out! Also, I should have mentioned it’s an MQA unfolding streamer. So much in a small package for $6,666. No better device to enjoy with some $5 box wine.
$6,666 is the dCS price, $666 is the Schiit price.

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #90,298 of 150,691
2022, Chapter 6
30 Years In Development

Mike laughed. “And two blue LEDs rather than one!”
I think you'd have had to charge $Krell +$5, those blue LEDs were expensive, after all.

• The other big stuff. To minimize losses in the output stage itself, we decided to tweak the number of transistors we were using in the output stage, from 16 to 24. Yes, that’s twenty-four 15-amp-rated Toshiba power transistors per mono channel. Yes, that’s completely insane.
I think my SA-1 have 24 bipolar output transistors per channel. Too bad it's such a PITA to take one out of my cabinet, or I'd check to make sure.

• We were running out of stacked rail on the Nexus stage. Increasing the voltage on that stage was necessary. Sounds easy? We were already at the limit of the voltage gain devices. Which meant a new voltage gain stage. Which meant additional opportunity for oscillation and magic smoke on the next start-up.
  • We were running out of current for the drivers…due to both the driver size and the regulation of the stacked rails. This meant a complete redesign of the driver and voltage regulator stage, which increased the size of the drivers, and totally revamped the voltage regulator to a unique, discrete, complementary feedback design.
So why didn't you just get bigger stuff? I mean if you'd spec'd Binford 6100 voltage gain devices, just get some Binford 6105s, problem solved.

Wow, this Monday Morning Quarterbacking outside your area of competence is the opposite of manufacturing: easy and fun. No wonder everyone does it!

Congratulations to @Jason Stoddard, and everyone in the back room at Schiit for getting Tyr off the ground. Based on the posts so far, the folks in the front room will have a job keeping up with the orders.

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #90,299 of 150,691
So with all the Tyr sales, what speakers are being paired with them? Any hard to drive beasts, that'll challenge the mono-blocks? 😧
A pair of KEF Q950 Floorstanders (in walnut).

I'm currently driving them with a pair of Aegirs. But the Q950 drop down below 4 ohm, and while the Aegirs in mono mode do OK with that load, I'm pushing my luck a bit with them, especially in the summer months. Tyr will fix that, and then some.

A few years down the line, I'm planning on replacing the KEF with either a pair of Magnepan 1.7i or a pair of 3.7i, haven't quite decided yet. My current living room layout doesn't allow for Maggies right now, not enough space to give them the room to breathe that they need. But the Q950 are actually really stunning, if paired with a capable amp, so that makes it a bit easier for me to have patience until I can get the Maggies… 😁

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #90,300 of 150,691
How's the song go?

To every font
Kern, kern, kern
There is a GPOS
Kern, kern, kern
And proper spacing to every typeface under heaven...
I know this song...

It's by the ByRrds!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back