Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #90,272 of 150,687
Efficiency?
Honestly, efficiency is not exactly what you're after when you're shopping for amps like Aegir or Tyr. Their topology is inherently "wasteful", at least when compared to stuff like Class D. But what you get in return is something that sounds considerably better, especially because it's able to handle transients (that's the short/sudden bursts of energy that are required to replicate the beginning of a louder sound, like the initial kick of a drum) a whole lot better.

So, while they aren't technically Class A, they do draw a considerable amount of power even when they're not playing any sound.
Both, Aegir and Tyr, have the ability to be put into a stand-by mode, though, by pushing the button that you see in the front of both amps.

Doing so de-biases the amp, which essentially "mutes" the whole thing, so the amplification part of the amp stops drawing power.
I measured the stand-by draw of both my Aegirs a few months ago, and they were sitting at around 4 watts of power draw while de-biased, and I think Jason mentioned somewhere that Tyr will draw around 5 watts while de-biased. My Vidars, which can't be de-biased, draw a whole lot more than that while idling.

That means that, depending on how many hours a day you're actually using your Aegir(s) or your Tyrs, they could end up being quite a lot less straining on your power bill than even just a single Vidar would be.

A little aside:
A lot of people switch their amps completely off to save on power. That's obviously an option, but I'd like to point out that capacitors don't exactly love cycling between fully charged and discharged a lot. So if longevity of your amp is important to you, you might want to consider leaving them on. While more wasteful on your power consumption, the caps in your amp will remain healthy for quite a bit longer.
But then again, you can always have your gear be re-capped every once in a while by a skilled technician… ;p

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #90,273 of 150,687
…the good news…

…is Tyr is here! Finally!

I really hope you enjoy!
A hearty congrats on nearing the end of a long and very interesting development story. I say "nearing" because nothing is ever really "done" forever. I can't wait to hear them.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #90,274 of 150,687
A hearty congrats on nearing the end of a long and very interesting development story. I say "nearing" because nothing is ever really "done" forever. I can't wait to hear them.
Someday I'd like to fly into an airport that's finished or maybe drive in a city where the roads are finished. Probably never going to happen...

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #90,275 of 150,687
nothing is ever really "done"
There you go.

Especially poignant on a day when nothing seems to be working...lots of new stuff in dev, lots of problems. Sometimes it stacks up that way.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #90,278 of 150,687
So these are nice, I can run long cables from the Freya and save on speaker cable ... so while we are on the subject and we have the attention of the man himself.

Dear @Jason Stoddard

Does Schiit recommend any particular size, type, metal, brand, vendor, connection of speaker cable? Is there a minimum requirement for, say, a 12 foot run?

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #90,279 of 150,687
There you go.

Especially poignant on a day when nothing seems to be working...lots of new stuff in dev, lots of problems. Sometimes it stacks up that way.
There must be something in the air today. My COO just repeated to me a project suggestion my Engineering team had made to him last September and which he had vetoed. So this previous design set is now the "new direction we should pursue" of course undoing the last 6 months' work. At least in your world you are following your own and your team's ideas, not having to swing to the breeze of a non-engineer MBA executive's whim...

Ah well, another few months closer to retirement.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #90,281 of 150,687

We had a saying in the (Canadian) navy: it's all pensionable time.

Well, more of a mantra, really

:beerchug:
JC

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #90,282 of 150,687
Efficiency?

Just going off the power consumption vs power output posted on the website, it looks to be a little less than half as efficient as Vidar but more than twice as efficient as Aegir.
Yeah, maybe even 2.5x more efficient than Aegir...

Monoblock, wRMS into 8 ohmsMax Power Consumption in watts
Aegir80450
Tyr200750
Vidar400700

I can tell you that my monoblock Vidars run waaay cooler than I ever imagined they could/should, driving the B&W 804 D3s - not the easiest load in the upper mid-bass region.

This is gonna be fun. But then, who doesn't love new Schiit?

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #90,283 of 150,687
There must be something in the air today. My COO just repeated to me a project suggestion my Engineering team had made to him last September and which he had vetoed. So this previous design set is now the "new direction we should pursue" of course undoing the last 6 months' work. At least in your world you are following your own and your team's ideas, not having to swing to the breeze of a non-engineer MBA executive's whim...

Feels like that's the new normal lately, I've been dealing with similar situations with essentially all of my clients all year. Feels like there's some mix of accountability-aversion, selective memory lapses, and a pinch of unusually pervasive risk-avoidance going around everywhere you look…

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #90,284 of 150,687
Already got my matching granite slabs picked out for Tyr.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k1038117619

Perfect width to match and only 1/3” deeper than the Tyr chassis. They even weigh 55lbs each just like Tyr!

Will match the speaker granite perfectly!
C6CBAEE3-4E3B-402D-8B1B-76C4B577118E.jpeg

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #90,285 of 150,687
...not having to swing to the breeze of a non-engineer MBA executive's whim...
In the software QA world, I was responsible for calling a release "done". Then, at the last minute some exec would have a brilliant idea, that had to be included "now!"
We called that AEU: Arbitrary Executive Urgency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back