Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #90,257 of 149,646
Maybe reading this wrong but...The right output is positive, and left output is negative, but both are active
if looking at rear is seems opposite. Not sure if it matters in the current world.

of course maybe you attach the cables from the front like you flip the power switch.
(If I understand your post correctly: )
It only matters if you care for phase, and as long as you wire both, left and right speakers, the same way — or else one of them will be out of phase with the other.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #90,258 of 149,646
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 6.50.48 AM.png
Uhm… @Jason Stoddard, you might want to fix that… 😬
Don't worry, it's fixed:

Tyr_order_30_Mar_2022.png

Struggled a bit with silver vs black... still struggling a bit with silver vs black... but it's a bit too late now. :)

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #90,259 of 149,646
another poweramp?

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #90,260 of 149,646
Struggled a bit with silver vs black... still struggling a bit with silver vs black... but it's a bit too late now. :)
You chose well with black, if I may say so.

I recently saw a whole bunch of Schiit in black for the first time, and I have to say:
Black Schiit looks a whole lot better in person than it does in photos. Seriously, VERY sexy.

But since all my Schiit is silver, I decided to stick with silver for my Tyrs.

I've got a Jotunheim R on my wish list, though, so my silver streak will be broken eventually.

another poweramp?
Yes, I was as shocked as you are. Never saw that one coming, total surprise. I thought they'd come out with a VCR next… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #90,261 of 149,646

I recently saw a whole bunch of Schiit in black for the first time, and I have to say:
Black Schiit looks a whole lot better in person than it does in photos. Seriously, VERY sexy.

But since all my Schiit is silver, I'm decided to stick with silver for my Tyrs.

I've got a Jotunheim R on my wish list, though, so my silver streak will be broken eventually.

Yes, I was as shocked as you are. Never saw that one coming, total surprise. I thought they'd come out with a VCR next… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What class is the amp ABCDEFG?

It was hard reading all of it, that I forgot what the story was about. It is about an amp right?

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #90,262 of 149,646
This will have to do for now...

tyr teaser.jpgtyr internal.jpgtyr outputs.jpg

Congratulations! Insane as always.

When I was reading the chapter I was expecting it to cost a lot more. You had said four years ago that such an amp might be in the $2500 territory.

The one question I have that the chapter and FAQ do not answer is how much heat does this thing put off?

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #90,263 of 149,646
What class is the amp ABCDEFG?

It was hard reading all of it, that I forgot what the story was about. It is about an amp right?
That's fair. :wink:

It's neither, actually. It's a Continuity amp, which is Schiit's proprietary magic sauce that makes things sound and behave Class A-adjacent without some of the hassle and limitations of "real" Class A.

From Tyr's FAQ section:
No Class D?
No.

Class A or AB?
Neither. Continuity™.

What is this Continuity™ thing, really?
Continuity is our way of compensating for transconductance droop when the amplifier transitions out of Class A operation and into Class AB, and to help solve the mismatch between NPN and PNP output devices.

Huh? I didn’t understand all of that.
Okay, let’s break it down like this. Continuity allows us to run less bias than Class A, and yet still have the amp act more like Class A even once it’s outside the Class A operating region.

So this is like Aegir and Jotunheim 2?
Kinda in-between, but closer to Aegir. The implementation of Continuity on Tyr is unique, using a single output “corrector” with a more efficient “sense” device so that Tyr doesn’t have to run as hot as Aegir, but it’s not the “supercharger” arrangement used in Jotunheim 2. This gives us both higher efficiency and higher linearity, which we think is a pretty neat trick.

Okay, so it’s a sliding bias scheme.
Nope, it is a unique output stage that uses both NPN and PNP devices on both rails, and selectively turns on additional devices to compensate for transconductance droop outside of the Class A bias region.

Okay, so it’s a Sziklai output stage.
Nope, the output stage has no gain.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #90,266 of 149,646

But since all my Schiit is silver, I decided to stick with silver for my Tyrs.

Thanks, AP - I am glad that I chose black - I'm replacing a pair of black Vidars running as monoblocks, and the Tyrs will go into the same rack spaces. It'll look like I Miracle-Gro'ed the Vidars. And, I saved the $200 upcharge. :) I have enough room in the two side racks to raise the shelves above the amps an inch / an inch-and-a-half for better heat dissipation; one more time that I'm glad I chose the Salamander racks with the threaded rod posts.

My Yggy OG A2 is silver, and I think I chose it because black was on backorder at the time... but I'm fine with it, because Yggy just looks great in silver.

When URD is available, I'll get one in black, and it will replace my (ancient) silver Musical Fidelity A308CD that I'm using as a disc transport. Might move things around a bit to put the remaining silver components in the middle of the rack, but... wow, sometimes I even scare myself when I consider this kind of schiit.

Now comes the interminable wait... 5-7 days + 2-3 shipping... just want to hear them NOW. I thought about driving down to the Schiitr to pick them up, but it didn't make sense from a time (or a carbon footprint) perspective. Coulda done it, but 740 miles round-trip on the lovely I-5... yeesh. Couldn't abide.

I want a Jotti R too, man, but I need the Raals first. $$$

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #90,267 of 149,646

It's neither, actually. It's a Continuity amp, which is Schiit's proprietary magic sauce that makes things sound and behave Class A-adjacent without some of the hassle and limitations of "real" Class A.

From Tyr's FAQ section:
Efficiency?

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #90,268 of 149,646

From Tyr's FAQ section:
Efficiency?

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #90,269 of 149,646
I'm looking forward to listening impressions of Tyr(s). Apparently, Darko already has a pair and should have a review up in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back