Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 22, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #89,747 of 149,297
Not sure why people are dismissing the idea of a portable dongle, after Jason said this (at 34:30)

Exactly lol. Reading the discussions I was thinking "didn't Jason just said in the latest video that Mike and Dave are interested in doing a dongle for smartphones that cost less than $99? And there is a good chance it will be named Dingleberry?"

Mar 22, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #89,748 of 149,297
Not sure why people are dismissing the idea of a portable dongle, after Jason said this (at 34:30)

Fulla with a smaller vol knob and a thinner chassi + a small powerbank. that`s it :)

Mar 22, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #89,749 of 149,297
Fulla with a smaller vol knob and a thinner chassi + a small powerbank. that`s it :)

Nah, ideally you want it to be powered by the smartphone so it'll be easily pocketable.

I had a first gen Fulla dongle, ultimately I will classify it a failed product because of the high failure rate caused by the small volume knob.

Plus if you're going to put it in your pocket, you don't want a volume knob.

Periodic Audio's rhodium DAC is my benchmark for how small a smartphone dongle should be. It's cheapish at $49 but sound quality wise, it could be better.

Mar 22, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #89,750 of 149,297
Probably most subscribers to this Dickensian serial epic didn't start on Day One, but for those who did, it's taken them eight years to read this far.
I consider myself an early schiit bird :)

Mar 22, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #89,751 of 149,297

Some people want it to rain on another's parade because they are jealous of the sunshine and yet some how weary of hiding in the shadows. In modern parlance, they tend to
"throw shade" because misery loves nothing better than to propagate?

My son would be interested in the (LOL!) Schiit Dingleberry as would a few others in my family. If it looks cool, it may well even generate my interest beyond giving them as gifts.

But the VU Meters would be soooooo tiny... Oh. And toads are both weary and grumpy. Trust me on this. I know all too well that I am far from perfect. But I like the sun and appreciate the rain. :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #89,752 of 149,297
We love having ours as well; an All Natural Dogs Treatz biz, that we decided to start to achieve "world domination" after the 2008 financial collapse. Seriously, I saw my retirement portfolio go to about 60% of what it was in the space of 6 weeks..... We decided to put that % of our income into something we were both passionate about.

Your book describes your path, but more importantly - we enjoy the *reasons* you made your decisions along the way.

Want to be happy? Be true to yourself (and those who work/mentor/support you).
A wise move, I spread out my investments and dumb luck caused me to turn investments into cash prior to the 2008 collapse as well as before the latest market downturn, but at that time I go bargain hunting and reinvest. :ksc75smile: I do believe in diversifying and now my wife is turning pottery into another income source, it may pay for her hobby as my work with audio pays for mine. (She is making dog and cat dishes that a local groomer sells, she can branch out if she so desires.) You have an example of my humble work.

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #89,754 of 149,297
Schiit was going to announce a True Multibit, Unison USB-based dongle DAC -- The Minibius. Sadly the current DSP shortage will cause it to be scrapped or delayed indefinitely. You heard it here first! :smirk:

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #89,755 of 149,297
My latest attempt to sabotage the sine wave...
115210_source_1630516641.jpg

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #89,756 of 149,297
Schiit was going to announce a True Multibit, Unison USB-based dongle DAC -- The Minibius. Sadly the current DSP shortage will cause it to be scrapped or delayed indefinitely. You heard it here first! :smirk:
Plus I hear it was planned to be the same size as a Bifrost due to the metal case shortages.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #89,757 of 149,297
Wow. They must really have re-worked and miniaturized the circuitry. My source tells me it was to be in a re-worked Yggy case with wheels and a Corinthian leather pull strap. Oh, well. I guess we will never know. :wink:

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #89,758 of 149,297
Wow. They must really have re-worked and miniaturized the circuitry. My source tells me it was to be in a re-worked Yggy case with wheels and a Corinthian leather pull strap. Oh, well. I guess we will never know. :wink:
In the 1950s, "portable" meant "has a handle on it." Even if it weighed 60 lbs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 22, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #89,759 of 149,297
As a person that used to tote around an original Compaq Portable computer, I can attest that was still true in the 80's. :D

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #89,760 of 149,297
As a person that used to tote around an original Compaq Portable computer, I can attest that was still true in the 80's. :D
You too? Damn things were the size and weight of a suitcase.
It was so cool to upgrade to the Compaq Portable III.
Dropped half the weight, had a '286 CPU. The orange plasma display was so very cool back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back