Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 21, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #89,731 of 150,728
chance-so-youre-tellin-me.gif
What was all that 'one in a million talk?!'

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #89,732 of 150,728
You are correct, they don't make anything like that. Schiit dongle products are designed for desktop and gaming use. If you want a Dragonfly... buy one?
Cheaper and smaller than a dragonfly: Hidizs S8. Serves me everyday. Like a cable extension and improves your phone sound, doens't eat your battery in a sec.

Mar 21, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #89,733 of 150,728
Simple. It’s the best of times because there has never been as much opportunity, ever, in the history of the world. It’s easy to forget that you can (a) buy a 3D printer for a few hundred dollars on Amazon, (b) use commonly available and free or cheap software to design your own amazing product, (c) freely avail yourself of crowdfunding sites to get your company started, (d) communicate with, and sell, directly to your audience online with no rent-seeking middlemen involved.
After spending the last 7 years reading your book, I'm finally living the "start your own business" nightmare. Got off the ground printing and selling T-shirts on Etsy for less than $300, including product samples, photography, and listing fees. I don't keep 100% of my profits, but hell, Etsy will even send me tax forms at the end of the year for my income. I think that alone is worth the meager percentage they ask. If nothing else, I've got an interesting line on my resume now.

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #89,734 of 150,728
schiit only produces real gear :)
Pretty sure that my Dragonfly Cobalt is real. Shown here driving Jotunheim while I wait for my True Multibit add-in card (which is "out for delivery" per FedEx).

jotti_with_dragonfly.jpeg

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #89,735 of 150,728
And you can be sure that the difference you hear is from the voltage rather than the fact you used two completely different DACs how, exactly?
An A3 fed by MB Modi or Bifrost sounds about the same volumewise, and it gets quieter once toggling the switch to the internal MB card. It's not hard to hear the difference, and with some cans you can max the pot on low gain whereas before you couldn't.

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #89,736 of 150,728
An A3 fed by MB Modi or Bifrost sounds about the same volumewise, and it gets quieter once toggling the switch to the internal MB card. It's not hard to hear the difference, and with some cans you can max the pot on low gain whereas before you couldn't.

So you switch to high gain and get even better SQ due to the reduction of global negative feedback. Win-win.

:beerchug:
JC

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #89,737 of 150,728
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #89,738 of 150,728
It took you
After spending the last 7 years reading your book, I'm finally living the "start your own business" nightmare. Got off the ground printing and selling T-shirts on Etsy for less than $300, including product samples, photography, and listing fees. I don't keep 100% of my profits, but hell, Etsy will even send me tax forms at the end of the year for my income. I think that alone is worth the meager percentage they ask. If nothing else, I've got an interesting line on my resume now.
It took you 7 years to read Jason's book? Whoa. I must (shamefully) admit that I haven't read it in entirety, but I had no idea it was that long. :laughing:

j/k of course. Wish you the best of success with your new endeavor!

Mar 21, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #89,739 of 150,728

Congrats!

Or at least I think congrats. I love having a business, but it's definitely not, ah, for everyone.

And yeah, I kinda forgot about that "middleman,"--that is, the modern Amazon/Etsy/eBay that will take 10-30%. But that's at least not 40-60% like a dealer, and it won't be with draconian "well, you're not selling enough for the shelf space we're giving you, so we want more margin/want you to do a 2-for-1 sale/want you to take 90-180 day terms," kinda stuff.

Good luck! Sincerely.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 21, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #89,741 of 150,728
Wow - Just received the Mani 2 in black this afternoon and installed it an hour ago. While I'm primarily a Schiit silver guy the phone pre is behind my turntable and not visible so I'll save the $10. My immediate reaction is that I like it very much - lower noise floor and more dynamic than my silver Mani. Listening to Hank Mobley - Soul Station that my brother-in-law gave me for the holidays. Great job @Jason Stoddard and the crew in Corpus Christi!
Cheers - Steve

Hank Mobley Soul Station Small.jpg

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #89,742 of 150,728
Congrats!

Or at least I think congrats. I love having a business, but it's definitely not, ah, for everyone.

And yeah, I kinda forgot about that "middleman,"--that is, the modern Amazon/Etsy/eBay that will take 10-30%. But that's at least not 40-60% like a dealer, and it won't be with draconian "well, you're not selling enough for the shelf space we're giving you, so we want more margin/want you to do a 2-for-1 sale/want you to take 90-180 day terms," kinda stuff.

Good luck! Sincerely.
We love having ours as well; an All Natural Dogs Treatz biz, that we decided to start to achieve "world domination" after the 2008 financial collapse. Seriously, I saw my retirement portfolio go to about 60% of what it was in the space of 6 weeks..... We decided to put that % of our income into something we were both passionate about.

Your book describes your path, but more importantly - we enjoy the *reasons* you made your decisions along the way.

Want to be happy? Be true to yourself (and those who work/mentor/support you).

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #89,743 of 150,728
I have a dog needing treats. PM me your biz info. 😉

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #89,745 of 150,728
It took you 7 years to read Jason's book? Whoa. I must (shamefully) admit that I haven't read it in entirety, but I had no idea it was that long. :laughing:
Probably most subscribers to this Dickensian serial epic didn't start on Day One, but for those who did, it's taken them eight years to read this far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back