Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #89,716 of 150,774
Not my idea of fun either, but not high enough on the pecking order - everyone except for the plant manager shares an office or sits in a half cubicle farm. Half cubicle because it is just the divider walls between the desks, there is no back giving any privacy.
I make sure my people have space or their own offices. I have also given employees amps I designed as well as Schiit products and headphones so they could relax privately with music. In warm weather, when possible, they work or lunch outside. It is not always money, work environment means a lot.

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #89,717 of 150,774
I make sure my people have space or their own offices. I have also given employees amps I designed as well as Schiit products and headphones so they could relax privately with music. In warm weather, when possible, they work or lunch outside. It is not always money, work environment means a lot.
Agreed, unfortunately basing a project budget in 2018 pricing non-pandemic adjusted and flat out missing some items ($8 million for a building with fit out, $10 million adder on a $30 million due to bad design basis) lead to some budget cuts, like office space in the construction trailers. In theory it gets better post construction, and I know we will have at least 1 picnic table snuck into the budget to fly on top of the EAF office complex (nice view from 60 feet in the air and only 1 flight up from the offices) during construction, but that is still a year and then some away.

Thankfully DT770s keep most of the noise out, Hel 1 lets me use the analog out on my phone to play music when not in one of the many meetings, and the WH-1000XM4 was handy on the flights - haven't needed it at the office yet.

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #89,718 of 150,774
But for older MB DAC cards in the A3 the signal was 1.4V. I have two A3s, one with MB card. They can melt your ears when fed by an external DAC at 2V. And can still do so on 1.4V internal MB DAC signal (on high gain). But you can hear the difference, there is more headroom with 2V. Looks like this is moot in the future.
And you can be sure that the difference you hear is from the voltage rather than the fact you used two completely different DACs how, exactly?

Mar 20, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #89,719 of 150,774
Thankfully DT770s keep most of the noise out, Hel 1 lets me use the analog out on my phone to play music when not in one of the many meetings, and the WH-1000XM4 was handy on the flights - haven't needed it at the office yet.
Asgard 3 and DT770s make my meetings almost tolerable :). Wish my coworkers had more mellifluous voices...

Reminds me, if any of you are ever in Philly on your birthday, https://victorcafe.com/live-opera. Having trained opera singers sing Happy Birthday to you will bring tears of joy. They don't do it opera-style, so don't worry about that.

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #89,720 of 150,774
A Schiit Portable DAC/AMP will be released at the same time as the Schiit Surround Sound Processor

With Dolby Atmos, dbx, MQA, dsd.....

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #89,721 of 150,774
Asgard 3 and DT770s make my meetings almost tolerable :). Wish my coworkers had more mellifluous voices...

Reminds me, if any of you are ever in Philly on your birthday, https://victorcafe.com/live-opera. Having trained opera singers sing Happy Birthday to you will bring tears of joy. They don't do it opera-style, so don't worry about that.
Honestly it isn't so much the DT770 itself, it is the closed back giving some isolation - there were for a short time 3 of us in the office (back to 2, the automation eng's manager bitched that they were a supervisor and should be only 2 to an office), 1 mech eng, 1 electrical eng, 1 automation eng so when we are all in a conference call at the same time but 3 different ones! being able to listen to your call and not your coworker speaking was important.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #89,727 of 150,774
Portable doesn't necessarily mean with battery. There is plethora of USB dongles (DAC/AMP) without battery.
Like the two Schiit already offers?

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #89,729 of 150,774
Sorry, but I don't see anything like that in their offer. I mean something like AudioQuest DragonFly = USB powered DAC/AMP for portable use.
schiit only produces real gear :)

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #89,730 of 150,774
Sorry, but I don't see anything like that in their offer. I mean something like AudioQuest DragonFly = USB powered DAC/AMP for portable use.
You are correct, they don't make anything like that. Schiit dongle products are designed for desktop and gaming use. If you want a Dragonfly... buy one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back