Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #89,191 of 151,275
Class A Schiit!

Whilst scanning the April 2022 issue of Stereophile, I was quite excited to see that Yggy OG, Aegir and Freya+ are all listed as Class A Recommended Components.
I know that my friends at Schiit Audio are not big on hype, but this is an enormous achievement IMHO. Congrats to @Jason Stoddard @Baldr and everyone else at Schiit Audio for building amazing gear that truly pushes the edge of the price-performance curve... thank you!
...and then there were four... Jotunheim R is also listed as a Class A component. :)

Mar 9, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #89,192 of 151,275
Same here, except a Freya S. I guess I’m not full class A :jecklinsmile:
Difficulties getting hot? Best amp is the one you own not the one that is in a list. I am also a happy owner of a Freya S - clickerdeeclick!!

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #89,194 of 151,275
I care about as much about Stereophile's classifications as I do about them calling Schiit obsolete...
I remember the olden days when Stereophile was relevant. Then Al Gore invented the internet. :laughing:

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #89,195 of 151,275
Mar 9, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #89,197 of 151,275
...and then there were four... Jotunheim R is also listed as a Class A component. :)
Okay, how is a specialty amplifier getting a class a rec? It only works for one headphone. Strange crtieria.

I remember the olden days when Stereophile was relevant. Then Al Gore invented the internet. :laughing:
Actually my father invented the internet and I have a paper he wrote to prove it.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #89,198 of 151,275
Mar 9, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #89,199 of 151,275
Mar 9, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #89,200 of 151,275
And there go Jason's attempts for production to keep up with demand..........out of the window.
That’s a great review. Not so much what they say about Loki Mini, but pointing out that even the decision not to equalize is a decision. It would be difficult to do a traditional review because there’s not much to compare it to.

Mar 9, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #89,201 of 151,275
That’s a great review. Not so much what they say about Loki Mini, but pointing out that even the decision not to equalize is a decision. It would be difficult to do a traditional review because there’s not much to compare it to.
I appreciate the review as it really get's the 'less is more' approach to the Loki series. I find after messing around, I like it better flat. If I just do one or two things, it's ideal.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #89,203 of 151,275
Hmmmm. May be time to dust off original Loki EQ and put it into service just to revisit what I may be missing on my HP rig.

The miniDSP Dirac room correction on the 2 channel rig is sublime.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #89,204 of 151,275
Hmmmm. May be time to dust off original Loki EQ and put it into service just to revisit what I may be missing on my HP rig.

The 2 channel with miniDSP Dirac room correction on the 2 channel rig is sublime.
I use the Loki between the Pono Player and Koss/Massdrop ESP 95 electrostatic headphones. On line measurements made it easy to dial in the proper correction. Wouldn't be without it.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #89,205 of 151,275
Okay, how is a specialty amplifier getting a class a rec? It only works for one headphone. Strange crtieria.
Maybe the reviewer (Herb Reichert) thought that the combo of Jotunheim R and the Raals met the Class A criteria?

How To Use The Listings
The classes each cover a wide range of performance. Carefully read our descriptions here, the original reviews, and (heaven forbid) reviews in other magazines to put together a short list of components to choose from. Evaluate your room, your source material and front-end(s), your speakers, and your tastes. With luck, you may come up with a selection to audition at your favorite dealer(s). "Recommended Components" will not tell you what to buy any more than Consumer Reports would tell you whom to marry. Heaven forbid.

Class A
Capable of producing the best attainable sound almost without practical considerations. A Class A system is one for which, with the best recordings, you don't have to make a leap of faith to believe you're hearing the music live. When hi-rez formats first became available, we created a new class, A+, for the best-performing products in those categories; Class A continued to represent the best that could be obtained from the then-ubiquitous compact disc. Later, we also created an A+ class for turntables, phono preamps, and headphones. With hi-rez formats now ubiquitous, expect class A+ to go away soon.

I dunno about the hi-rez crapola, my Yggy loves 16/44.1. I hate to offend anybody's sensibilities by posting about this "achievement", but like @OldRoadToad , I'm old. :) I like to believe that by Volume 45, No. 4, the peeps at Stereophile have heard a schiit-load of equipment and are better positioned than me to recommend... but, whatever. When four pieces of Schiit, priced from $800 to $2600, can make their "best of the best" list, when there's non-Schiit on the same list at tens or hundreds of thousands of $$$, I think that's pretty damned impressive that Jason and Mike's stuff is highly regarded by these "experts".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back