Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #84,151 of 150,590
You mean when they're on your plate?
You serious? Of course you're right.
People should indeed be incarcerated for that.
Re-education is the minimum punishment here.
When I was about 11, we visited Italy. I tried to cut the spaghetti. The waiter slapped my hand. And that was the last time I've cut any spaghetti.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #84,152 of 150,590
Legally in the US, screens in view of the driver cannot display entertainment video content unless the parking brake is on and/or the transmission is in park. This is frequently overridden, of course, but the law exists in all 50 states.

Tesla and Ford have both announced Netflix and YouTube (along with, likely, other services) will soon be available in their cars but only while the vehicle is charging.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #84,153 of 150,590
Do you have to ask for forgiveness when tampering with sacred recipes like that? Always wondering where the line is drawn between innovation and sacrilege.
Because I always worked for the good of humanity and was baptised as a catholic, I have a permanent pardon from the pope.
Any pope.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #84,154 of 150,590
When I was about 11, we visited Italy. I tried to cut the spaghetti. The waiter slapped my hand. And that was the last time I've cut any spaghetti.
Indeed. Good for you.
In Europe table etiquette is a little different from the US.
We always have the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right.
One never puts down the knife and changes the fork to the left hand.
There's only ONE exception.
Pasta is always eaten only with a fork in the right hand.
No knife, no spoon (god forbid) and no molesting the food.
One more thing: When somebody puts a plate of pasta in front of you, you are expected to start eating.
No waiting for the rest, not even the host or anyone.
This is also pasta only.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #84,155 of 150,590
Indeed. Good for you.
One more thing: When somebody puts a plate of pasta in front of you, you are expected to start eating.
This is also pasta only.
I always wait for extra grated parmesan, caring not for the etiquette of the situation. :)

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #84,156 of 150,590
Indeed. Good for you.
This is also pasta only.
To all Americans:
Mr. @Pietro Cozzi Tinin is not exaggerating.

When my dad (a German) visited me in the States for the first time, he insisted on eating his burger with a fork and knife.
It was … interesting to watch, let's put it that way. :grin:

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #84,157 of 150,590
I always wait for extra grated parmesan, caring not for the etiquette of the situation. :)
The fact that you have to wait for extra parmesan suggests that the host doesn't know how to serve pasta, so they will hardly be offended if you didn't start digging in right away. ;p

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #84,158 of 150,590
That should be put on the table before serving the pasta.
But I understand, I am a big parmazanofficiado myself.
Freshly grated, the real stuff.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #84,159 of 150,590
Legally in the US, screens in view of the driver cannot display entertainment video content unless the parking brake is on and/or the transmission is in park. This is frequently overridden, of course, but the law exists in all 50 states.

Tesla and Ford have both announced Netflix and YouTube (along with, likely, other services) will soon be available in their cars but only while the vehicle is charging.

Problem is, it doesn't matter if you're watching youtube or changing the climate settings if the activity requires taking your eyes off the road. I'm not even bitchiing about others. Just trying to not kill myself lol.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #84,160 of 150,590
IoT (Internet of Things) devices scare the crap out of me. In the case of your philips bulb, it connects to the internet via your home network's router (gateway). Let's just say that you never bothered setting up a secure username/password for that device. Let's also say that the bulb's O/S has a serious security hole (we absolutely know that the O/S is NOT bug free in any case). Assume this security issue allows a bad actor access to the bulb from the outside - he/she now has access to *all devices* on your home network........
Funny/sad IoT story: the house I'm typing this from was finished in 2017. Energy efficient, low-voltage lighting and window shades throughout (Ultron and Rollease Acmeda). Controllable from phone apps via little control bridges on WiFi. First thing I did when I moved in was to replace the existing home networking with my favored UniFi gear, configured to my taste -- just to discover that the control bridges had been hard-programmed to the old network with set IP addresses rather than using DHCP. Long story short, the bridges are inaccessible, impossible to reset them to connect to the new network without lighting/shade dealer software tools, so the only light and shade controls are the ones on the walls. Which is not that bad, really, fewer apps and IoT gizmos to worry about.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #84,162 of 150,590
This is hopefully a good time to thank those who served, this being Veteran’s Day in the US. I have not read back through all the posts so pardon me if this is redundant.

Tom

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #84,163 of 150,590

So, now I will unable to escape endless advertising, even while driving. A great improvement over what we have now!

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #84,165 of 150,590
This is hopefully a good time to thank those who served, this being Veteran’s Day in the US. I have not read back through all the posts so pardon me if this is redundant.

Tom
This is never redundant.

Today is also the fourth anniversary of me becoming an American citizen. Having been given the chance to pledge my allegiance on Veterans Day felt absolutely perfect and very special to me, a day and a ceremony that I will never forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back