Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #84,136 of 150,704
Nice acting. Now most Italians (including myself) break spaghetti 1x in halve.
It gets you to add the sauce more evenly but keeps it at "rolling onto the fork" length.
Interesting tidbit! Quartering was the norm in my barbarian family, though. Much to the dismay of my ex, who lived in Italy for five years and got indoctrinated there.

Say, what kind of alcohol is in real Tiramisu? My Dad always goes for Amaretto, and I like it, but I think that's not the same across all of Italy, right?

Hey, whatever works.
But cutting them with a knife, that's where I draw the line. ;p
See. I'm of barbarian heritage. We cut the finished pasta, which was made from but the finest ingredients.

Miracoli-1.jpg

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #84,137 of 150,704
Interesting tidbit! Quartering was the norm in my barbarian family, though. Much to the dismay of my ex, who lived in Italy for five years and got indoctrinated there.

Say, what kind of alcohol is in real Tiramisu? My Dad always goes for Amaretto, and I like it, but I think that's not the same across all of Italy, right?

See. I'm of barbarian heritage. We cut the finished pasta, which was made from but the finest ingredients.

Miracoli-1.jpg
But sir, these ARE the finest ingredients!
Miracoli from Aldi or Lidl; the German student's equivalent to what ramen is in the States. :laughing:

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #84,139 of 150,704
But sir, these ARE the finest ingredients!
Miracoli from Aldi or Lidl; the German student's equivalent to what ramen is in the States. :laughing:
D1E53308-D5B0-4B11-AFC6-468EB0025E1C.jpegFB1DB784-8994-4FD8-BEC0-41DC5D2101D6.jpeg

I have been on a quest to make my own ramen at home. Packaged Ramen reminds me of Campbell’s soup.

Mmmm. Mmmm. Salt

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #84,140 of 150,704
The only right way is using Marsala. A fortified wine.
If you use it, go for a good one. The rest will stay good for a month due to it's higher alcohol percentage.
I myself use 1/1 Marsala/Brown Rhum.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #84,142 of 150,704
My chef friend Sal Zappone makes an absolutely fabulous limoncello tiramisu. I go to his restaurant sometimes just for that, with a good espresso plus grappa.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #84,143 of 150,704
The only right way is using Marsala. A fortified wine.
If you use it, go for a good one. The rest will stay good for a month due to it's higher alcohol percentage.
Thank you, I appreciate it!

I myself use 1/1 Marsala/Brown Rhum.
Do you have to ask for forgiveness when tampering with sacred recipes like that? Always wondering where the line is drawn between innovation and sacrilege.

81SWoOu4jeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Only the finest for this one.

Nov 11, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #84,144 of 150,704
Nov 11, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #84,146 of 150,704
Do you have to ask for forgiveness when tampering with sacred recipes like that? Always wondering where the line is drawn between innovation and sacrilege.
My personal benchmark for this question:
Does it taste better than the original?
Yes -> innovation
No -> sacrilege

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #84,147 of 150,704
I think you guys are missing the point a little…

Huge (touch) screens in cars aren't meant to not be distracting. To be distracting is their whole point to begin with.

Whether you like this or not*, self-driving cars will be the norm in a decade or two. Considering that 98% of the people I see driving around on California roads don't even know how to drive safely, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if and when human-operated cars were to be legally restricted to private properties or minor side roads before long.
Once those people are no longer required to split their attention span of a fruit fly between watching traffic and the phones they're trying to hide below the window line, they will want to be entertained in other ways – and a tiny phone screen just won't cut it. The screen-plagued cars we see today are just a precursor to what's virtually inevitable to come: entertainment centers that just happen to be motorized, filled with screens that serve you all the content you could ever long for. For an ever growing list of modest subscription fees, of course.

The screens we have today are the results of car manufacturers learning how to build those rolling entertainment centers. It is an industry caught up in the search for this fine line between catching and retaining the highest possible amount of attention, and killing their paying customers through constant distraction. It's either that, or risking to be driven off the market for having become "too boring" in a few years time.

* I, for one, loathe this thought. I love driving, it's like meditation to me. But considering that self-driving cars are already becoming safer than most drivers in most situations even today, I'm not sure which side I would really land on if I had to make a choice.

That's true and fine. Except for the part that cars shouldn't be entertainment centers until the time when humans aren't required to operate them.

Back in the day when I was installing car audio, I put a screen and VCR in my car. Fired up Star Wars and drove home. When I got there, I had zero memory of the drive (about an hour). Literally no memory. Screen and VCR came out the next day.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #84,148 of 150,704
Just curious...in your opinion, what headphones (or range of headphones) are within Valhalla's sweet spot in terms of power, euphonics, etc?
>=60 ohm, IMHO

My DT990 Edition (600 ohm) truly sing with this amp.

Even planars sound pretty good, as long as they're reasonably high in impedance. My Sundaras (37ohm) sound like ass, while my GL2000 (60ohm) sound almost as good as they do with the Mjolnir 2.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #84,149 of 150,704
That's true and fine. Except for the part that cars shouldn't be entertainment centers until the time when humans aren't required to operate them.

Back in the day when I was installing car audio, I put a screen and VCR in my car. Fired up Star Wars and drove home. When I got there, I had zero memory of the drive (about an hour). Literally no memory. Screen and VCR came out the next day.
I fully agree.
Car manufacturers evidently don't.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #84,150 of 150,704
Just curious...in your opinion, what headphones (or range of headphones) are within Valhalla's sweet spot in terms of power, euphonics, etc?
I only have 1st hand experience with HD6XX, Hifiman Arya v1, and previously Ananda. All do/did very well with the only no-go being my DCA Aeon Flow Closed at 13 ohm. I personally find the HD6XX to be a wonderful all-around pairing w/ VH2 as it relates to euphonics and power. The 35 ohm Aryas struggle a bit with loud bass heavy tracks (EDM, etc). With moderate listening levels and genres such as acoustic Jazz, etc., the Aryas are wonderful but not the best if you're a bass-head and like it on the threshold of painfully loud. I can only imagine how splendiferous a TOTL HP such as HD800S or ZMFs would sound. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back