Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #83,671 of 150,427
Oh gosh, don't worry. I totally understand where you're coming from. :)

In case anyone is at all interested, I wrote a bit more about the issues I'm having with the units, and what I did to rule certain things out before sending them to Valencia, here and here.
Does the problematic Aegir shutdown when using it in stereo mode? Someone asked this to your original post but I never saw if you answered it.

It's possible Schiit couldn't replicate it because they don't sit around in rooms that are 80 degrees haha. 80 degrees is hot as hell to be inside your house. Have you tried them in any other rooms? Possibly a cooler one?

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #83,672 of 150,427
Yeah, if I’m lucky they will redesign the Freya and leave all the 6SN7’s for the Saga.
And the Lyr, which if you haven't heard it sounds better than the Saga even as a preamp. The only downside is there is only one input but for me and my computer that is enough.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #83,673 of 150,427
I went through 3 turntables, 4 cartridges, 3 phono pre-amp, multiple power quality devices and cables to figure out I had a major RF issue because of the radio array that is relatively close and we are directly in line.
Another example: I have two Eddie Current Aficionado tube headphone amps in different locations. For one of those, I got a matched pair of new production Linlai E-2A3 output tubes. Started hearing a faint bzzt from one channel in silent pauses. Switched tubes around, bzzt followed one tube. Thought the tube had a defect, contacted the supplier, they sent me instructions on how to return it. But in the meanwhile, I was busy and that amp is in a remote location without shipping offices, so I decided to rearrange my gear, rerun cables, move amp the furthest possible away from digital gear. It helped, but not totally. Now, I moved that amp to a different location (long story), rewired everything there. No bzzt at all.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #83,674 of 150,427
So, got my Aegir and Lokius back from Valencia today.
And just as I "feared", both came back with notes saying "could not reproduce".
Fan-flicking-tastic.
Now we're entering the he-said-she-said part of the process. So much "fun" for everyone involved… 😩

Just to be clear: I do NOT blame them. Both issues are a b*%@h to replicate. I just wish that neither side would have to deal with this, is all.
for the dual Aegirs, are they sitting side by side on the bottom shelf of that rack? if so, the inner facing halves of each amplifier will run hotter than the out-facing heatsink halves. If there is only a single thermal sensor per stereo amp, instead of one per heatsink, then that might explain the apparent differing thermal trigger thresholds.

did you swap the channels by moving the input and output leads? or did you physically swap the two units?

The Fluke 62 IR thermo may give lower readings on shiny or light colored objects; try boiling some water in a Stainless or shiny copper pot and take a reading of the outside walls of the pot (away from the bottom edge adjacent to the burner.)

With something like a Kil-a-Watt meter ($25-$50), take AC power (both the Watt and VA) readings of each unit when at room temp & first turned on, and after warm-up to see if there are any significant unit-to-unit differences.

worst case (best case???) hang on to your wallet, Tyr is (are) coming.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #83,677 of 150,427
What happened to the "solid state" tubes that schiit sold for a while? Did they just sound bad?

Edit: fixed my phone - keyboard typo
Discontinued I believe; difficult to make and not enough demand, if I remember correctly. I do have a pair for my Mjolnir 2 and a single for my LYR3, collectibles now, LOL!

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #83,678 of 150,427
Another example: I have two Eddie Current Aficionado tube headphone amps in different locations. For one of those, I got a matched pair of new production Linlai E-2A3 output tubes. Started hearing a faint bzzt from one channel in silent pauses. Switched tubes around, bzzt followed one tube. Thought the tube had a defect, contacted the supplier, they sent me instructions on how to return it. But in the meanwhile, I was busy and that amp is in a remote location without shipping offices, so I decided to rearrange my gear, rerun cables, move amp the furthest possible away from digital gear. It helped, but not totally. Now, I moved that amp to a different location (long story), rewired everything there. No bzzt at all.
Ya just never know. Over the decades I've figured out a "best practices" approach (positioning various components and running AC, digital, and analog cables) for myself with regard to assembling my rigs that seems to work well. I've had tubes that were noisy in amp A but not amp B. A few NOS's that were problematical noise wise in any amp I had that took that tube. 3 new production tubes that were noisy out of the box and all 3 were replaced by the respective companies. One thing that was really stunning was the improvements to both my audio and video systems when the local air naval base closed and all the RFI went away. It seemed to affect the sound so subliminally I didn't notice it was there until it was gone. Apparently the AC filtering units in the front of each rig (Monster Cable boxes, one blew up eventually and the other I took out of service and replaced both with Furman units that have been flawless) and shielded cables can still be broken thru when the landing pattern is over your residence. :smiley:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #83,679 of 150,427
Does the problematic Aegir shutdown when using it in stereo mode? Someone asked this to your original post but I never saw if you answered it.
Don't know, I've never tried that, to be honest. Should be worth a shot.
It's possible Schiit couldn't replicate it because they don't sit around in rooms that are 80 degrees haha. 80 degrees is hot as hell to be inside your house. Have you tried them in any other rooms? Possibly a cooler one?
They don't sit around in 80 degrees rooms? You've obviously never been to Valencia… ;p

But no, never tried it in other rooms, because I would have to move the whole system to a different room to replicate the results. Always change only one variable when you test something. :) But I bought the Aegirs in the middle of last winter, and the problematic one tripped into fault mode within the first hour at a room temperature of well below 70 degrees.
And yes, I know, I should have sent it back right away. Don't start, I'm annoyed at myself for this enough as it is. ;p
At first the shutdowns were infrequent enough at about once or twice a week to not warrant the hassle. But now it happens more and more often, up to twice a day. And completely independent of the room temperature as well. The 80 degrees I mentioned in the original post is by no means an average, it's the maximum my living room gets to. It usually sits at at around 75 to 78 over the summer. Not that much lower than 80, yes, but still.
for the dual Aegirs, are they sitting side by side on the bottom shelf of that rack? if so, the inner facing halves of each amplifier will run hotter than the out-facing heatsink halves. If there is only a single thermal sensor per stereo amp, instead of one per heatsink, then that might explain the apparent differing thermal trigger thresholds.
No, the rack is relatively new. Until a few weeks ago, they were both sitting near the speakers on the floor. Not directly on carpet, though, but on wooden boards, to ensure that air can circulate below them. I even tried a set of risers to allow for even more air circulation under them, to no avail. While sitting on the floor, they both had about a foot of air between them and their respective speakers, about a foot to the wall, and nothing to obstruct any of the other sides. I even positioned the problematic one so that it gets blown at by the AC directly.
did you swap the channels by moving the input and output leads? or did you physically swap the two units?
All of the above.
The Fluke 62 IR thermo may give lower readings on shiny or light colored objects; try boiling some water in a Stainless or shiny copper pot and take a reading of the outside walls of the pot (away from the bottom edge adjacent to the burner.)
I know, that's always to be expected with thermometers that rely on light emissions instead of direct contact. The measurements I took weren't so much to be relied upon as absolute values. I was mostly interested in any potential differences between the two, whether the problematic one would run hotter than the other one. But they were always within just a few degrees of each other.
With something like a Kil-a-Watt meter ($25-$50), take AC power (both the Watt and VA) readings of each unit when at room temp & first turned on, and after warm-up to see if there are any significant unit-to-unit differences.
Great suggestion, I actually haven't thought of that yet. I will definitely try that.
worst case (best case???) hang on to your wallet, Tyr is (are) coming.
Oh, yeah. A pair of those are already squarely on my list, iff they can handle low impedance loads and do so without breaking a sweat. I have my eyes on a pair of Magnepan 3.7i for somewhere in the next 24 to 36 months, and I would never expect the Aegirs to handle those adequately. Until then, though, it would be nice if I could keep using the Aegirs in mono. I don't listen loud enough to stress the currently remaining one Aegir in stereo enough to NEED them in mono, I just like the way they sound.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #83,680 of 150,427
Discontinued I believe; difficult to make and not enough demand, if I remember correctly. I do have a pair for my Mjolnir 2 and a single for my LYR3, collectibles now, LOL!
I've been looking for them myself, at least a pair for my Mjolnir. Would have loved to give them a shot, just to see what they sound like. Alas…

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #83,681 of 150,427
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #83,682 of 150,427
I've been looking for them myself, at least a pair for my Mjolnir. Would have loved to give them a shot, just to see what they sound like. Alas…
That's why I grabbed them when still available, never used much. Just a matter of too much other stuff to play with.
I think the 6SN7 cans were still available when Freya first released. Had I bought an OG Freya I probably would have purchased 4 more, LOL!
You can never have enough Plan B backups in this hobby.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #83,683 of 150,427
Oh yes:
- Midnight at Notre-Dame (Olivier Latry, Deutsche Grammophon, 2013)
- Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 (Berlin Philharmonic, James Levine & Simon Preston, Deutsche Grammophon, 1987; also includes a truly amazing rendition of L'Apprenti sorcier)
- Bach: Organ Works (Karl Richter, Deutsche Grammophon, 2005)
- Pretty much everything by Anna von Hausswolff

The Bells of Moscow on Midnight at Notre-Dame is actually one of my reference tracks, great for testing detail retrieval (the little puffs of air you can hear coming from the pipes' lips in the medium and upper registers) and overall bass response.
And Rutter's Requem on RR of course.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #83,685 of 150,427
What happened to the "solid state" tubes that schiit sold for a while? Did they just sound bad?

Edit: fixed my phone - keyboard typo
Had a pair for a Lyr 1. They didnt sound bad, they just didnt sell enough to keep them around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back