Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 12, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #82,816 of 150,788
Fine. There will never be a purchase by me for an Amp that has a slot for a USB DAC card. That means No Jotunheim. No Asgard. No Lyr. No whatever you may or may not be planning in the future that has a slot for a USB DAC card.

There may be a purchase by me for an Amp.

Sorry.

Just because there’s a slot doesn’t mean that you MUST populate it… I did, but with the stereo input (dual RCAs) card. No internal/inFernal? DAC cards for me.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #82,817 of 150,788
What's with the disdain for a USB card slot? Did a computer do you wrong? A fluke flashdrive injury?
There is quite a discussion on SBAF forum on the newest Yggy flavours; I'm seeing most there holding USB inferior, preferring AES.
I'm open, awaiting a Pi2AES and a Unison card for my Yggy GS all fed by Roon - comparing the differences should be interesting.

Looking forward to Mike's thoughts tomorrow!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #82,818 of 150,788
There is quite a discussion on SBAF forum on the newest Yggy flavours; I'm seeing most there holding USB inferior, preferring AES.
When I did the comparison for my OG Yggdrasil, Pi2AES+Meanwell SMPS AES was just a tad cleaner, more incisive than Unison USB from a decent USB source, Allo USBridge+Sbooster LPS. Since then I upgraded the Meanwell to a 24V Sbooster LPS for another thin notch up. But none of these differences are night-and-day, and if I hadn't had a Pi2AES already for a different purpose that I could try on the Yggdrasil, I would probably not have known any better, as Unison USB had proven itself superior before to several other more expensive USB and AES sources.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #82,819 of 150,788
Sounds like AES will still be good for me (being CD only) and if the URD's clocks are more accurate than in my current transports I might pick up some sound improvement there, or not.

I can save $160.00 bucks (maybe plus now) with Fed X for shipping and wait for analog 3 boards before upgrading both my units.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #82,820 of 150,788
Fine. There will never be a purchase by me for an Amp that has a slot for a USB DAC card. That means No Jotunheim. No Asgard. No Lyr. No whatever you may or may not be planning in the future that has a slot for a USB DAC card.

There may be a purchase by me for an Amp.

Sorry.

I have no need for a USB card either, so I dropped in a line level RCA card. This allows me to hook up my Mani and Bifrost to the Asgard3 without having to have a SYS in the mix.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #82,821 of 150,788
I have no need for a USB card either, so I dropped in a line level RCA card. This allows me to hook up my Mani and Bifrost to the Asgard3 without having to have a SYS in the mix.
So schiit offer a second input now?

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #82,822 of 150,788
So schiit offer a second input now?
Jason made an add on RCA card available for the Asgard 3 slot when it first came out at the awesome and incredible price of $20, but it proved difficult to install for some and I guess Jason didn't want the extra hassle of people frying their boards.

I missed out on the opportunity to order one with my Asgard 3 and thinking about it makes me very sad :sweat::sweat: :disappointed:

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #82,823 of 150,788
Asked them for a year ago about a second input instead of dac/phono.
Answear:NO

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #82,824 of 150,788
Hey all,

Sorry to say, we'll have a last-minute postponement of Mike's Audio Journey on the Schiitrmeet. Family duties supersede video, sorry!

I expect we'll be postponing until next month, but we'll see what Denise has to say, if we're rescheduling sooner.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 13, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #82,826 of 150,788
Hey all,

Sorry to say, we'll have a last-minute postponement of Mike's Audio Journey on the Schiitrmeet. Family duties supersede video, sorry!

I expect we'll be postponing until next month, but we'll see what Denise has to say, if we're rescheduling sooner.

All the best,
Jason
Well, sometimes Schiit happens, and sometimes Schiit gets postponed.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #82,828 of 150,788
What's with the disdain for a USB card slot? Did a computer do you wrong? A fluke flashdrive injury?
Nope. I just do not listen to music via any of my laptops. Well...To be more exact, I rarely do so. In fact, I have not done so on a Windows machine for quite some time. I received a three month trial of Roon which I cancelled about a month sooner than the trial period as I heard no real advantage to it.

And I hear no advantage to listening to music on my PC so I do not want a USB card. I can simply use Blootoof to send any audio to a Blootoof speaker or not. Probably not.

I am just one of those souls, bereft of listening to 1s and 0s. To me, a DAC either works or it does not. I do not listen to bits nor do I listen to equipment. But I have some stand alone DACs because they work just as well as the ones that are built in but to me, look better. I look at equipment and I buy equipment that pleases my eye and reproduces the sound track of my life.

I am ramblin'.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #82,829 of 150,788
Jason made an add on RCA card available for the Asgard 3 slot when it first came out at the awesome and incredible price of $20, but it proved difficult to install for some and I guess Jason didn't want the extra hassle of people frying their boards.

I missed out on the opportunity to order one with my Asgard 3 and thinking about it makes me very sad :sweat::sweat: :disappointed:
Email them. Though it’s not on the sales chart, it might be available. I ordered my first (for Lyr3) while it was for sale, and install was straightforward. Second was via an email saying I’d done it before, so they sold me one. Asgard 3 wasn’t so kind, with a very close tolerance, such that I had to shift the PCB a bit to get the card in. That involves pulling all the screws from the I/O connectors on the backplane, and loosening all/removing a couple screws on the bottom to get the PCB to move a fraction. It isn’t difficult, but it is involved. I have worked a lot with electronics installs/repairs, so not an issue for me. Make sure someone familiar/experienced with this kind of an install does it.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #82,830 of 150,788

Yeah, those cards were only on the sales page for a few days. I think these may be the same line level cars as used in the Ragnarok 2, but I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back