Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 11, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #82,786 of 150,788
Hi all, I'm just trying to wrap my head around a problem I've had with two Schiit products. I'd like to find a solution for this as I love the way they both sound..

Both my Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 transformer inside the unit buzzes / hums, all the noise is emitting from the transformer itself. I've tested them at two friends houses and both hummed/buzz. Additionally I've tested them on a DC blocker and the noise was still present. Both are loud enough to where I can hear it from my seated position at my desk. I live in New Zealand and my wall outlets measure 239 - 241v, I bought both from Schiit for the AUS/NZ market which is 230v.

What's going on here?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #82,787 of 150,788
Hi all, I'm just trying to warp my head around a problem I've had with two Schiit products. I'd like to find a solution for this as I love the way they both sound..

Both my Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 transformer inside the unit buzzes / hums, all the noise is emitting from the transformer itself. I've tested them at two friends houses and both hummed/buzz. Additionally I've tested them on a DC blocker and the noise was still present. Both are loud enough to where I can hear it from my seated position at my desk. I live in New Zealand and my wall outlets measure 239 - 241v, I bought both from Schiit for the AUS/NZ market which is 230v.

What's going on here?
AFAIK, both Asgard and Bifrost use identical transformers for both 115V/230V 50/60 Hz applications with dual (bifilar?) primary windings, and jumpers on the PCB to select the mains voltage. 230V vs 240V should not cause a problem, provided the power is clean. My "115V" Asgard 3, mfg Sep/Oct 2020 has very low hum (need to put my ear directly to the case to hear it), even when running with 122V 60Hz mains.

The transformer buzzing comes not from the fundamental (e.g 50Hz for NZ) line frequency, but from harmonics (e.g 3rd at 150Hz, 5th at 250Hz, 7th at 350Hz, etc..); often caused by non-linear loads such as large switch-mode power supplies (PC gaming rigs) lighting fixtures with dimmers, etc.

The output of some UPS (Un-interruptible Power Supply) can be very non-linear as well (many of those outputting a stepped sinewave approximation) when running off the internal batteries.

Try looking into a power strip with multi-stage noise filtration (not the same thing as surge suppression). better models will have multiple stages of filter chokes (coils typically wound around a toroid or cylindrical ferrite rod) in addition to 'X' and 'Y' capacitors. often such models were designed & marketed for home theater / AV applications. In the USA, Belkin once offered the Pure AV line of filtered multi-outlet strips. YMMV, so I recommend purchasing from a company with a good return / return shipping policy if it doesn't help your specific situation.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #82,788 of 150,788
Hmmmmm...Hello the house!

Well. I have not said that in quite some time but there is a reason for my ebullient demeanor. I bought my son and my brother each one of those THX headphone amps. I then, in a fit of vinyl lust bought something to go with my Andover Audio Spinstand upon which currently sits one of those frAudiophile scaring all-in-one turntable/radio/CD setups! So I now bought a Spinbase in black. I like vinyl. I like how listening to vinyl can be calming to me. I have worked a bunch of overtime to get my brother and my son those THX amps and myself the Spinbase. I even have the money set aside for the Magnius. Just waiting for the wait time to come down. Or for Sir Jason of Schiit to make a freaking card for Coax and/or Toslink for the Jotunheim/Assguard 3 et al.

Jason? Is this on? Hello? Is this working? I realize that in the grand scheme of things I am not much of a "customer". I've only bought two things from Schiit. A Vali for my brother and a Valhalla 2 for me. That by the way is the same brother I just bought the THX Amp for. He's my brother and he's retired and on a fixed income so when I find something I think he will enjoy, I try to save for and then buy it.

Life is short. Too short to wait too long. I am in a weird mood, I know.
I sent my question in for the meeting. We now return you to your regularly scheduled talk about.

El ORTo grumpo :beerchug:

Have you considered a Hel as a all in one solution? It has Toslink built in. I have asked for a card with optical spdif a time or two as have others, tho none as persistently as you. I would recommend patience, it might be awhile....

My opinion.... VU meters are more likely.....

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #82,789 of 150,788
Those are called Schwannoma tumors. I'm lucky, I have NF2 which means I have one on each side. My right one led to a 5cm mass that had to be surgically removed back in 2017. I have 100% hearing loss on the right side and a 7.4k roll-off on the left and Tinnitus in both ears. I find it really insulting to be totally deaf in one ear yet get constant ringing.

But back to the MRI, I have tried the headphones, although I can't be sure, they looked exactly like the Audeze ones. I've gotten many MRI's and never experienced claustrophobia before, I wasn't wearing them for 2 minutes before I hit the panic button. Between a face mask and the clamping pressure, which was intense, I went back to the tried and true foam tips.

Now if I could just convince headphone manufactures to sell me just a left driver at at a reduced cost :dt880smile:
Was just sparing everyone the Google search, but yes, that’s what I have. My tinnitus was a gradual build up over 20 or so years in my left ear, but has been a constant tone with no change in timbre for several now. Always attributed it to too many live music concerts and other bad hearing habits (lawn mowers, headphones,etc) until 3 years ago when I found a good ENT who suggested the MRI. It is a rare tumor 1/22,000 people and almost always benign. It’s crappy that something so very small can cause such big problems. The treatments, of which they’re only 2, both leave you deaf in that ear. Mine is not so bad that I want that result. Mostly mid to upper register decline, but that ear still lends to decent auditory spatial quality so I am lucky so far for being in my late 60’s. Annual MRI’s have detected no growth in the size. I would urge everyone who thinks they are experiencing long term tinnitus to suggest this easy diagnosis to their ear doctor, if for nothing else but their peace of mind in finally knowing.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #82,790 of 150,788
Have you considered a Hel as a all in one solution? It has Toslink built in. I have asked for a card with optical spdif a time or two as have others, tho none as persistently as you. I would recommend patience, it might be awhile....

My opinion.... VU meters are more likely.....
I should look at the Hel as I forgot I gave my son the first generation version a while ago. Thank you for the memory jog! :beerchug: He likes it fine for gaming but uses a desktop SMSL setup with speakers for music. That is why I got him the THX Amp as he told me he has been thinking bout using 'phones more for music.

I think you are probably correct about the VUs being more likely than a Coax or Toslink card. I suppose that it is also reality (for me) that a DAC is far more of a visual thing than a listening one as I really can not discern any difference in any DAC I have ever used. I just like ones that look cool...:L3000: Shallow toad, ya know. Thanks again!

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #82,791 of 150,788
What’s this about VU meters? Is an upcoming Schiit product rumored to have VU meters? I hope so and I hope it’s the Tyr loudspeaker amp…

speaking of which, anything new on that product?

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #82,792 of 150,788
Just waiting for the wait time to come down. Or for Sir Jason of Schiit to make a freaking card for Coax and/or Toslink for the Jotunheim/Assguard 3 et al.
ORT: You've asked this a couple of times now, and both times I wasn't 100% sure you were realizing that a freaking card for Coax and/or Toslink has to be a DAC, because both Coax and Toslink carry digital signals. For about the same price as the add-in USB DAC cards, you could get a stand alone Modi ($99) or Modius ($199) DAC. Neither is quite as space-saving as an internal card added to the amps you mention, but either of these choices would be of modest size. And both are listed as available in 1-3 days, so no need to wait for Sir Jason et al to introduce a new product.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #82,793 of 150,788
ORT: You've asked this a couple of times now, and both times I wasn't 100% sure you were realizing that a freaking card for Coax and/or Toslink has to be a DAC, because both Coax and Toslink carry digital signals. For about the same price as the add-in USB DAC cards, you could get a stand alone Modi ($99) or Modius ($199) DAC. Neither is quite as space-saving as an internal card added to the amps you mention, but either of these choices would be of modest size. And both are listed as available in 1-3 days, so no need to wait for Sir Jason et al to introduce a new product.
Modius is a hell of a product too. I yanked mine out of my headphone rig and now have it feeding analog goodness to a pair of Cornwall IV loudspeakers. And at some point soon it’s going to be feeding a high end 2 channel integrated amp. Or a Freya+ and a Tyr….

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #82,795 of 150,788
What’s this about VU meters? Is an upcoming Schiit product rumored to have VU meters? I hope so and I hope it’s the Tyr loudspeaker amp…

speaking of which, anything new on that product?
Per Jason's last stream
1: Tyr most closely resembles the sound of Yggy less is more
2: It's like Aegir on steroids
3: We're waiting on chokes

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #82,796 of 150,788
Quick answers:

1. There will never be VU meters.
2. There will never be an optical input DAC card.

Sorry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #82,797 of 150,788
*Insert popcorn emoji here*
11E6CB6C-689C-4532-9391-8E4D8C2438B9.gif

(not really an emoji, but nonetheless 😁)

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #82,799 of 150,788
Quick answers:

1. There will never be VU meters.
2. There will never be an optical input DAC card.

Sorry.
How about an optical output so we can connect after-market VU meters?

Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #82,800 of 150,788
No VU meters or Optical input DAC, huh? Well, at least he has not ruled a Saga S v2 with Nexus and BAL/SE in and out. Sure it may not have enough real-estate, but that's why Pentcon connectors were invented. Right? :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back