Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #82,141 of 150,618
Finally joining the Schiit fanclub... bought a Schiit Ragnarok 2 with around 2 ish months of use for ~$900 dollars cheaper than Australian retailer prices
Welcome to the nonsense, @Skylah :beerchug:

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #82,142 of 150,618
A very good point, I will try it with and without input signal. Normally there is not one present unless I leave Tidal running all the time so this may well come and go with no signal present, this morning it was obvious when I turned the Gungnir on but since it warmed up all is well. It was fine for three years with or without signal.

I will also clean the coaxial RCA connectors coming from my computer to the Gungnir, on occasion I have had issues but a good cleanup with 99% isopropyl should help. This would be a tough one to troubleshoot and I want to eliminate any possible issues on my end first of course.
I never experience the clicks when the source is Mac - USB (Gen 5). Yesterday we were using an optical input and the Gungnir was clicking ... the optical cable was loose. Strangely, the "get better music" light didn't come on.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #82,143 of 150,618
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #82,144 of 150,618
Laser diodes have MTBFs of hundreds of thousands of hours unless you do something silly like hit them with a static electricity spike. I'd be more concerned about the mechanics - moving parts. Either getting gummed up from lack of use - you burn a few CDs maybe every few months/years, or wearing out. Or, the optics get dusty/coated with grime so the photodiode can't read the data anymore.
That's a valid point, @GumbyDammit223 . I have to remind myself that the LASER is a diode... not some gas-filled arc light. So if I understand your point of view, if I keep the gears, plastic (or metal?!) cogs clean of grime and contaminants, add SMALL amounts of lubricant to the axles (RTFM), and keep the lens clean (using microscope paper or designated microfiber).... and blow the chassis out with compressed air, then it'll last a lifetime.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #82,145 of 150,618
I turn mine off at the end of the day and turn it on when I first need it. I use it with speakers and a subwoofer and have not noticed a dramatic change in sound as it stays on, so leaving it on seems like an unnecessary waste of electricity to me.
I leave my Bifrost on. One action that I now follow religiously is turn all my volume knobs to 0% (I almost smoked my Ether C Flow's with a misbehaving Magni Heretic that I left on at about 50%... scared the hell out of me [both DCA and Schiit customer service sorted me out]).

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #82,146 of 150,618
My diseased mind immediately went to the scene in Apocalypse Now when the Colonel says, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... smells like FREEDOM".

My job really is taking a toll on my mental health. 2.5h of high school science class... in the afternoon... with kids that have been out of the lab for >1 year... and traumatised. Many with the mental scars of the pandemic. Grim... :triportsad:
"Smells like victory" is what he said, by the way. :)

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #82,147 of 150,618
Does anyone know if the Freya S can be opened to change the fuse? Mine arrived with the fuse unseated and rattling around inside (can see this through the vent holes).

Do I have to RMA?
Yikes! Contact Schiit Audio. I wouldn't crack it open (unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing). :eyes:

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #82,149 of 150,618
I never experience the clicks when the source is Mac - USB (Gen 5). Yesterday we were using an optical input and the Gungnir was clicking ... the optical cable was loose. Strangely, the "get better music" light didn't come on.
I had not experienced it for a long time with the audio card in my server but I suspect if anything, a poor solder on the card where the RCA jack connects. I lose signal on rare occasions so I will check said solder joints as well. Now getting to them is another matter. :ksc75smile:

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #82,150 of 150,618
And know how to do it. Fuses do not blow for no reason---they blow to protect things.
In my case the fuse blew immediately when I fired up a Mjolnir 2. Schiit had some bad fuses they had pulled from production but they missed mine. (I was in communication with the technician.)
Now in the case of my Freya + I believe a transformer was causing the fuse to go over time, then a heat sink that had worked its way loose on the second repair. I was able to remove the heat sink through one of the tube openings in the case but not before it did damage. I might have caught that ahead of time if I had picked the Freya up and shaken it but I am not in the habit of doing that. :ksc75smile: In both those cases the fuses certainly did their job.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #82,151 of 150,618
I leave my Bifrost on. One action that I now follow religiously is turn all my volume knobs to 0% (I almost smoked my Ether C Flow's with a misbehaving Magni Heretic that I left on at about 50%... scared the hell out of me [both DCA and Schiit customer service sorted me out]).
In the pro audio world you learn very early in your career that you always turn the amplifiers on *last* and off *first*. You also learn that you always, always turn the input controls on the amps to minimum before the on/off operation. The amplifiers are often big enough to do such things as launching speaker cones out of baskets and setting fire to voice coils. I've witnessed both, more than once.

My Bifrost stays on all the time unless I'm leaving home for several days. Then all the audio gear is unplugged.

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #82,153 of 150,618
In the pro audio world you learn very early in your career that you always turn the amplifiers on *last* and off *first*. You also learn that you always, always turn the input controls on the amps to minimum before the on/off operation. The amplifiers are often big enough to do such things as launching speaker cones out of baskets and setting fire to voice coils. I've witnessed both, more than once.

My Bifrost stays on all the time unless I'm leaving home for several days. Then all the audio gear is unplugged.
By happenstance I follow all those rules to the letter, but I am however guilty of the horrible sin of leaving the headphones plugged in all the time :sweat_smile:

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #82,154 of 150,618
I leave my Bifrost on.
Oh yeah, DACs and reclockers and digital switches are permanently on. Amps I turn off.

One action that I now follow religiously is turn all my volume knobs to 0% (I almost smoked my Ether C Flow's with a misbehaving Magni Heretic that I left on at about 50%... scared the hell out of me [both DCA and Schiit customer service sorted me out]).
I only do that when I don't know what to expect, say when switching from speakers to headphones, or between different speakers or different headphones, or different gain settings on the Ragnarok 2 because lordy are they different.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #82,155 of 150,618
And know how to do it. Fuses do not blow for no reason---they blow to protect things.
What you said.

In @Dynasty62 's case it sounds like the fuse just jarred loose, but if the unit took a hard enough hit to dislodge the fuse, I'd wonder what else in there (like transformers) got jarred loose at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back