Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 17, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #82,112 of 150,909
I need to get my inner child under control...

B stock Freya S and Gumby incoming....

My whisky habit is mad at my audio habit.... Whisky acquisition is on hold until December......

A guy can only afford so many vices at one time...

At least the audio habit is better for your liver. Right? Just call it a liver cleanse, win-win! :laughing:

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #82,113 of 150,909
At least the audio habit is better for your liver. Right? Just call it a liver cleanse, win-win! :laughing:
hahahahahah oh man.... Ive stocked up enough Straight Bourbon/Single Barrel Bourbon/Cask&Barrel Strength Bourbon/ Finished Bourbon/Bottled in Bond Bourbon/Blended Scotch/Single Malt Scotch/American Rye/American Whiskey/Canadian Whisky/Canadian Rye/Irish Whisky/American Wheat Whiskey/American Corn Whiskey/American Single Malt/Irish Single Malt - to survive two more years of pandemic...without opening any bottles from my storage.... At this point I could drink from a different bottle once a day and only drink from the same bottle 4 times a year 😁. Today I have had 2 ozs of whisky, or about 1.33 (american) shots. took me 3 hours to drink those. Thats about average per day for me.

Schiit Related - I bought the first and at that time only Freya S B stock ive ever seen in my life.....

There is another Freya B stock for sale now.... plus a Gumby....

Someone ought to buy them both so we can be Schiity twins. If you do... I may (may, which is different from will) send you a bottle of whiskey, so we can be whisky twins as well.... @Ripper2860 get that pretty lady to sleep 😉and pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #82,114 of 150,909
hahahahahah oh man.... Ive stocked up enough Straight Bourbon/Single Barrel Bourbon/Cask&Barrel Strength Bourbon/ Finished Bourbon/Bottled in Bond Bourbon/Blended Scotch/Single Malt Scotch/American Rye/American Whiskey/Canadian Whisky/Canadian Rye/Irish Whisky/American Wheat Whiskey/American Corn Whiskey/American Single Malt/Irish Single Malt
sure you didn't leave anything off that list? :beerchug:
Schiit Related - I bought the first and at that time only Freya S B stock ive ever seen in my life.....

There is another Freya B stock for sale now.... plus a Gumby....
gonna need some XLR balanced cables now :scream:

enjoy your new b-stock Schiit. :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #82,116 of 150,909
Loudspeakers wired out of phase with each other is pretty easily audible. But if both speakers of a stereo set are in phase with each other, then there is no issue if the "neg" is connected to the "pos" of the amp. It makes no difference.
In most cases I'll agree, but I've had the privilege of extended listening in at least one system where absolute phase was very noticeable. I had a "musical mentor" that introduced me to among other things Solti's Ring on a very understated system consisting of a Linn Sondek/Ittok feeding Quad preamp/amp/ESL speakers.

Magical

We "upgraded" to a Denon DL-103 cartridge and were initially amazed - but after extended listening, discovered that connections to the cartridge were reversed. Lou noticed it, kept at it... Until that point, I also thought absolute phase was inaudible.... In this system NOT the case

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #82,117 of 150,909
sure you didn't leave anything off that list? :beerchug:

Hahaha..... well I didnt get into cask finished Scotches(sherry, bourbon, rum, port, guinness, solara, 1st fill, 2nd fill, etc....), or peated malts or chill filtered vs non chill filtered, Natural color vs E150, bourbon and rye blended whiskies..... and those are just what I own 😂. Lets not forget Japanese, English and Indian (from India) whiskies, which I havent begun to explore yet...

I swear whisky enthusiasts must have been among the first audiophiles....

I tell you what tho, deciphering differences and nuances from dram to dram is much more fun than comparing cables or balanced vs SE.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #82,118 of 150,909
Anyone have experience with the Roon Nucleus and a Yggy with unison? Considering the Nucleus since my Mac Mini is pushing 10 years old and is getting sloooooow!

I have been using the Nucleus first with my old Gumby and now with the Yggy - can't complain about that combination! It sounds great, looks cool and with an ssd installed you won't hear a sound coming out of that machine (except for the music of course).

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #82,119 of 150,909
In most cases I'll agree, but I've had the privilege of extended listening in at least one system where absolute phase was very noticeable. I had a "musical mentor" that introduced me to among other things Solti's Ring on a very understated system consisting of a Linn Sondek/Ittok feeding Quad preamp/amp/ESL speakers.

Magical

We "upgraded" to a Denon DL-103 cartridge and were initially amazed - but after extended listening, discovered that connections to the cartridge were reversed. Lou noticed it, kept at it... Until that point, I also thought absolute phase was inaudible.... In this system NOT the case
Not trying to argue, people hear what they hear. Audio perception is subjective.

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #82,120 of 150,909
I have been using the Nucleus first with my old Gumby and now with the Yggy - can't complain about that combination! It sounds great, looks cool and with an ssd installed you won't hear a sound coming out of that machine (except for the music of course).
Thanks! That’s what I’m reading but I’ve come across a few folks who have had issues which gave me concern. The Nucleus can stream Qobuz direct to my Yggy, right?

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #82,122 of 150,909
Thanks! That’s what I’m reading but I’ve come across a few folks who have had issues which gave me concern. The Nucleus can stream Qobuz direct to my Yggy, right?

Well, I can't say there haven't been any issues with Roon, especially the 1.8 update has been rather rocky. The Nucleus itself has never been the issue though. Right now it's running really smoothly and overall it is by far the best streaming software I have ever used.

My only gripe with Roon right now is the fact that you are limited to Qobuz and Tidal.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #82,123 of 150,909
Well, I can't say there haven't been any issues with Roon, especially the 1.8 update has been rather rocky. The Nucleus itself has never been the issue though. Right now it's running really smoothly and overall it is by far the best streaming software I have ever used.

My only gripe with Roon right now is the fact that you are limited to Qobuz and Tidal.
Thanks! Yes, I only use Qobuz so that’s no problem. Thanks again for your reply.

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #82,124 of 150,909
Loudspeakers wired out of phase with each other is pretty easily audible. But if both speakers of a stereo set are in phase with each other, then there is no issue if the "neg" is connected to the "pos" of the amp. It makes no difference.

Provided you have a way to switch phase, preferably remotely from the listening losition so it can done on a track by track basis.

Think of it this way: when a performance is recorded, the player hits a note. The speaker cone moves forward then back. When you play back the recording, you want your speaker cone to move forward then back. But somewhere during the recording/mastering chain the phase may have been inverted. And this can be different track-by-track on a record.

I generally find this can be heard better on acoustic music where it can sometimes be heard pretty clearly (imageing snaps into focus), it's less important on electronic or heavily overdubbed tracks...

My OCD would not let me wire my speakers any way but black-to-black, red-to-red, but you are right, as long as they are wired consistently with each other, it doesn't ultimately matter.

My Meitner has a phase switch on the remote. My Denon does not. I miss it.

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #82,125 of 150,909

And local files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back