Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #82,037 of 149,327
I'm all for remote controls. For family, I suspect any remote for Yggy will still have the tiny cryptic icons for inputs and still require training, however. They still cannot operate the Roku remote without 'dad technical support'.:D

Mine sits in a drawer. I could not hear any diff with phase switching, but it's likely just me.
I don't use the BF2 remote either but that's mostly because it sits on my desk. If it were part of my living room setup then I'd probably never touch the front panel of my yggy just like I never touch the front panel of my rag2

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #82,040 of 149,327
Except that the goal is switching between digital sources, while a preamp is an analog source switcher and level adjuster. The Schiit co-founders talked about a digital "preamp" at some point, but AFAIK nothing came of it.
When in use ( currently boxed, pending building work) my Yggy is primarily used with one digital source- BNC S/PDIF.

However, when I get a new CD transport, I might be using the Unison USB input (if I buy an Urd) or RCA if I get another make, such as Audiolab.

Either way, I will need to be able to switch inputs on my Yggy.

Unlike a remote volume control ( which I already have) I don’t regard digital input switching via remote as essential, but the symbols on the Yggy for the digital inputs are totally incomprehensible, especially after a few beers.

Fortunately, I doubt that I will be switching digital inputs very often!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #82,042 of 149,327
Sure, but the context was RPi and that isn't for a Pi is it?

It's also a bit baffling to me why anyone would choose USB as the output (but assuming they sell a bunch, clearly they do) when there are better alternatives.
Technically for the Sparky, which is just a different SBC than the RPi.

I agree, USB is not ideal. Which is why I use the AES input on the Yggy with my Pi2AES. Great performance.

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #82,043 of 149,327
It's also a bit baffling to me why anyone would choose USB as the output (but assuming they sell a bunch, clearly they do) when there are better alternatives.
USB is the only asynchronous digital audio format, i.e. the only way for the DAC to control the clock used for the connection, instead of the source.

Mike prefers Unison USB over other inputs, as far as I know.

An increasing number of DACs are USB only.

A lot of DDCs also have only a USB input, like the Singxer ones.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #82,046 of 149,327
USB is the only asynchronous digital audio format, i.e. the only way for the DAC to control the clock used for the connection, instead of the source.

Mike prefers Unison USB over other inputs, as far as I know.

An increasing number of DACs are USB only.

A lot of DDCs also have only a USB input, like the Singxer ones.
This topic can get pretty complicated and could lead to a a whole can of worms...

With a high quality DAC like the Yggy and Unison USB, I would say you're splitting hairs either way. Technically, optical is what most engineers recommend because it doesn't introduce any chance of RFI -- while it can have a bit more jitter, but this is something that is cleaned up and solved for anyways.

But because most optical transmitters tend to only go up to 24/96, I tend to use balanced AES. If my Pi2AES offered USB out, I'd probably try it with Unison.

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #82,047 of 149,327
Sep 15, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #82,048 of 149,327
That’s what I thought at first too, but I don’t think it’s rattling inside the amp. Check the buttons on the front. Mine are really loose and rattle when you shake it. They are way looser than the buttons on any other model I have.
Apologies, visual inspection revealed it is the fuse rattling around. However, I don't see an obvious way to remove the cover. There aren't screws in the corners like other Schiit products.

I remember reading that some versions of Freya could not have their covers opened even to change the fuse. I am not sure if the Freya S was one of them.

I may have to just RMA and wait another week for delivery. Seriously bummed.

Update: RMA'ed (return/exchange). Pity that changing a fuse requires sending the unit back, though I have no idea what damage the fuse caused while rattling around inside the device through cross-country shipping, or what kind of a strong impact the unit sustained as to knock a fuse out of its receptacle despite the Freya being fairly securely packed from the factory. Props to Schiit for offering the resolution quickly. I just hope a faster shipping method is used for my replacement.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #82,049 of 149,327
Apologies, visual inspection revealed it is the fuse rattling around. However, I dont see an obvious way to remove the cover. There aren't screws in the corners like other Schiit products.

I remember reading that some versions of Freya could not have their covers opened even to change the fuse. I am not sure if the Freya S was one of them.

I may have to just RMA and wait another week for delivery.
Covers can be removed but one has to be careful in re-attaching the cover because of the front buttons and LED. You are probably better off sending it back😏

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #82,050 of 149,327
LiM arrived today. Gonna give it a few days to run in. But first impressions are very nice. Not as "in your face" as OG. Thanks for convincing Jason to try the 16-bit version, @Baldr
PXL_20210916_023516606~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back