Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #82,021 of 148,513
It's about time. How long has it actually been?
Got my "You're in the Queue" e-mail on May 21. 116 days. Pretty close the four months I originally estimated based on the rate of Gungnir "conversion" shipments happening back in May. I didn't expect the starts-and-stops, though. I am much more linear than that. I expected a few each week with consistent progress.
If you ain't first you're last. 😀
I haven't been last since May 21.
second place is the first loser.
According to the updates I actually looked at, I jumped from #24 to #1.
Got my RA number today to upgrade my Gungnir OG to multi-bit and Unison. It's a classic, built before multi-bit was a "thing." It runs in my bedroom system and I will be very curious to hear the new and improved sonics when it returns.
Yeah, I really hope we don't lose what the Gungnir delta-sigma has: more detail retrieval than my Bifrost I multi-bit, deeper bass extension, smoother mids and highs. In general terms, anyway. I suppose we're about to find out.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #82,022 of 148,513
Which... depending on how you had it setup, is likely true. Now, if you had the Allo USB solution, I'd be a bit more surprised.

The Pi2AES hat is amazing for the money, though.
Completely agree about the Pi2AES. It bested (by a slight bit) my old C.A.P.S. V2 PC. Not really liking any of the Linux apps versus MusicBee I was motivated to improve my Windows setup. So I upgraded the PC to the latest Intel i7 in a HDPLEX case. The secret sauce is this:
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/elfidelity-axf-100-ultra-iii-usb-isolator-audio-filter-for-pc/
This card made the Pi2AES the backup system. I highly recommend this card, especially for the cost.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #82,023 of 148,513
Obviously I selected the table size before deciding on the big schiit stack. Needless to say I have no idea where my remote is.

20210730_151848.jpg
!!! I hope you don't hyper-extend your elbow reaching for that volume knob.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #82,024 of 148,513
Completely agree about the Pi2AES. It bested (by a slight bit) my old C.A.P.S. V2 PC. Not really liking any of the Linux apps versus MusicBee I was motivated to improve my Windows setup. So I upgraded the PC to the latest Intel i7 in a HDPLEX case. The secret sauce is this:
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/elfidelity-axf-100-ultra-iii-usb-isolator-audio-filter-for-pc/
This card made the Pi2AES the backup system. I highly recommend this card, especially for the cost.
What power supply did you go with for the card? External I assume.

Sep 15, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #82,025 of 148,513
Maybe I was in a drunken stupor, but I'm pretty sure I read a post where Mike was kicking around the idea of an upgraded front plate and remote for Yggy to switch between inputs as nice-to-have for Yggy owners. I'm sure it would need a formate update and as such would not be a self-install offering. 😕
Maybe? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #82,026 of 148,513
Maybe I was in a drunken stupor, but I'm pretty sure I read a post where Mike was kicking around the idea of an upgraded front plate and remote for Yggy to switch between inputs as nice-to-have for Yggy owners. I'm sure it would need a formate update and as such would not be a self-install offering. 😕
IIRC, a while back, someone (Kramer???) posted a pic of a disassembled yggy with Unison beta module also showing the front panel assy which includes a microcontroller (PIC32???) on the same PCB as the LED's, phase inversion and source selection switches, so it might be possible to offer a self-install IR remote front panel upgrade :smile_phones:, should Mike, Dave, and Jason have bandwidth to complete such a project soon :triportsad:.

(added) a nice feature would be the ability of the firmware to not only recognize a "next input" command but also additional IR codes to jump to a specific input (for use with a suitably programmed third-party universal remote) to facilitate switching between two sources.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #82,027 of 148,513
Sep 15, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #82,028 of 148,513
Obviously I selected the table size before deciding on the big schiit stack. Needless to say I have no idea where my remote is.

20210730_151848.jpg
Were it me, I would see how I could raise the monitors up off the desk. Two reasons - Better view for your ears to the source, and reduce reflections from the desk surface.
Nice system!

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #82,029 of 148,513
So did I, and whenever possible it is wired connections, hard power off switches to avoid standby mode, manual input selection (ideally with a physical switch not a button and software), and so on. When you can say "Hey Alexa" and the device responds, it means it is always on and always listening - screw that. Same with why I hate my current ISP - I can't provide my own router, switch, and wireless AP - it has to be their 3-in-one which I have limited access to and can't control as much as my own device. IR remotes seem harmless enough, but that is how they get you - next thing the toaster laughs along (joking about IR remotes).
DxDcmCvUYAAXPW9
I hate "soft" power switches. Now my latest laptop has removed the last resort - you used to be able to unplug a laptop and remove the battery to force it cold. Now you need screwdrivers to remove the battery. Not saying I do not own screwdrivers, but this is still a step backwards.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #82,030 of 148,513
Why? Not being rude just wondering because I’ve never felt like either was a problem.
So I don't have to manually change inputs when I want to switch between music and movies/games. Also, so I don't have to teach other people that live in my house how to change inputs and which tiny icon corresponds to which one.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #82,031 of 148,513
Just to add to this heated remote debate, I have 3 Schiit remote controllable devices (Freya, Rag 2, BF2) and I have yet to take any of the remotes out of their bubble wrap. Call me old fashioned I guess. Or I just have a small room. 🤷‍♂️
With my recently received BF2, the remote is still in the bubblewrap as well. I'm curious to see if I can hear differences when I play with the phase invert function this weekend. But after the initial novelty, I'll pop out the battery, bag it, and put it and remote back into the bubblewrap and back in the box from Schiit. I only connect via USB to the computer and everything is within arm's reach so the remote is not needed. I have to say though that I love the heft being as small as it is! It weighs about as much as my other remotes.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #82,032 of 148,513
So I don't have to manually change inputs when I want to switch between music and movies/games. Also, so I don't have to teach other people that live in my house how to change inputs and which tiny icon corresponds to which one.

I'm all for remote controls. For family, I suspect any remote for Yggy will still have the tiny cryptic icons for inputs and still require training, however. They still cannot operate the Roku remote without 'dad technical support'.:D

With my recently received BF2, the remote is still in the bubblewrap as well. I'm curious to see if I can hear differences when I play with the phase invert function this weekend. But after the initial novelty, I'll pop out the battery, bag it, and put it and remote back into the bubblewrap and back in the box from Schiit. I only connect via USB to the computer and everything is within arm's reach so the remote is not needed. I have to say though that I love the heft being as small as it is! It weighs about as much as my other remotes.
Mine sits in a drawer. I could not hear any diff with phase switching, but it's likely just me.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #82,033 of 148,513
I'm all for remote controls. For family, I suspect any remote for Yggy will still have the tiny cryptic icons for inputs and still require training, however. They still cannot operate the Roku remote without 'dad technical support'.:D

Mine sits in a drawer. I could not hear any diff with phase switching, but it's likely just me.
I'll probably be the same way. But it's a new shiny, so I will have to play with it until....squirrel!

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #82,034 of 148,513
I've got a Ragnarok 2 due to arrive tomorrow and was wondering if there is a general consensus in this group as to whether it is better to leave it on 24/7 or have it on only when used? Anyone know what the power consumption is when idle?
If you have the fully loaded version yes (because of the MB DAC), otherwise no.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #82,035 of 148,513
Got my RA number today to upgrade my Gungnir OG to multi-bit and Unison. It's a classic, built before multi-bit was a "thing." It runs in my bedroom system and I will be very curious to hear the new and improved sonics when it returns.

Multibit has always been "a thing", I would even say "the thing", certainly in Mike's DAC development universe :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back