Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #82,066 of 151,304
I certainly understand your frustration. I purchased a Ragnarok 1 from the original owner and a year or so later now have an intermittent issue that may require service. The unit is within 5 years and It could cost me up to $500 for a board, although I suspect it will be a more minor repair after they get it on the bench. I knew the non-transferrable warranty situation and understood the risk before buying it. While I would love for Schiit to make an exception for me, I did not ask. Their policy was clear and I willingly took the risk. Why should they make an accommodation for me and if they did, where would the accommodations stop?

(As an aside -- a private PM or e-mail would have likely worked out better. If they publicly made an exception, or word got out that they did, then that would certainly open a huge can of worms for them w/ everyone that bought used and needing service saying "well, you did it for ecyfoto!!")

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #82,067 of 151,304
I’m just saying that was a heck of a discount. I also bought a used aegir here on head-fi, but it was not that deeply discounted.
It sucks it happened, but that’s the risk you take buying used gear.

My dad always used to tell me “what’s cheap comes out expensive”
Well new is close to a grand when you add in sales tax and shipping. I think it was closer to $750.
I certainly understand your frustration. I purchased a Ragnarok 1 from the original owner and a year or so later now have an intermittent issue that may require service. The unit is within 5 years and It could cost me up to $500 for a board, although I suspect it will be a more minor repair after they get it on the bench. I knew the non-transferrable warranty situation and understood the risk before buying it. While I would love for Schiit to make an exception for me, I did not ask. Their policy was clear and I willingly took the risk. Why should they make an accommodation for me and if they did, where would the accommodations stop?

(As an aside -- a private PM or e-mail would have likely worked out better. If they publicly made an exception, or word got out that they did, then that would certainly open a huge can of worms for them w/ everyone that bought used and needing service saying "well, you did it for ecyfoto!!")
I’ve also reached out privately so the public will never know.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #82,071 of 151,304
I’ve also reached out privately so the public will never know.
This may be a surprise to you, but somebody let the cat out of the bag. The public knows.

I feel your frustration on this. I've certainly had times in the past when finances kept me from acquiring things I wanted. And bought used gear that failed, leaving me unpalatable or very limited options to get it fixed. Have an old Stax amp now with that problem.

But YOU made the decision to buy something 2nd hand, knowing that the warranty was not transferable from the original owner. YOU made that choice. You weighed the odds and savings, and made the decision. Usually for newish equipment, it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. That's part of the estimation and gamble whenever you buy used.

Now you're here, throwing crap against the wall, trying to force Schiit to give you special treatment. Your situation is different, you claim, and so an exception should be made.

But your situation isn't different, or unique. EVERYONE who buys used equipment (that is still in regular production) does so in the hope of saving money. Everyone would PREFER to have New With Manufacturer's Warranty. But not everybody can make that work, for the gear they want, on the timeline they want. So they take a chance, and buy used. Audio equipment, cars, lawn mowers, tools ... the dynamics are the same.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this is reality.

And we can all hope that the repair does not require the entire board to be replaced.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #82,072 of 151,304
When I purchased my Gungnir OG Schiit was not yet selling a multibit DAC.

That it was not available in connection with Gungnir doesn't mean that it wasn't a thing. The world is bigger than Gungnir.

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #82,073 of 151,304
This is my own, unsolicited opinion, but when I want something I cannot purchase for cash right now, I weigh my choices - do I want to put it on a credit card and incur interest charges, or do I wait and save for it. Sometimes I put it on the card. Sometimes I suffer through the saving bit. I'm old enough that I will not deal with the hassle of used equipment that will potentially fail some point in the future. Sorry it failed on you shortly after purchase but that is life. Be thankful it was only a piece of stereo equipment and not something like the transmission in your car that you use daily for a 50 mile commute. Good luck in your endeavors and hopefully the repair cost isn't too high! :relaxed:

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #82,076 of 151,304
It was just over a month old. The owner just missed the return window. Great amp while it worked.
The return window and the warranty window are two different things. From what I'm reading the amp lost a channel while still in the return window and then he sold the amp to you at a loss.

Hi Jason. I’m hoping you read this. I bought a one month old Schiit Aegir from a gentleman who owns several other pieces of your gear. He had just missed your return window so I thought I was buying a great bit of gear fully aware of your warranty policy. Well that amp lost a channel several months ago and I’m trying to actually speak with a human about my circumstance. I’ve been told that if a board needs to be replaced it could cost me $700. Throw in shipping and I’d be buying the amp twice. That’s absurd. Both myself and the original owner have reached out only to receive the corporate response that all warranties are not transferable. I’m asking you to intercede on my behalf. The economics of my situation are ridiculous. There are exceptions to every rule and I think my request deserves a second look. Under current repair protocols I’d be paying approximately $150-200 in shipping to and from you guys for essentially a doorstop if I’m quoted at the high end of potential repair costs. I won’t pay that under any circumstance. If I were the original owner there would still be way over Three Years left on the warranty. I love the sweet sound of the amp with my ZUs but I’m at my wit’s end at this point.
Thanks, Eric

Your statements don't add up. The return window is 15 days. The amp "lost a channel" several months ago. You say the amp was a month old.

I'm sorry for your circumstances but you really need to get your facts straight.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #82,077 of 151,304
This is my own, unsolicited opinion, but when I want something I cannot purchase for cash right now, I weigh my choices - do I want to put it on a credit card and incur interest charges, or do I wait and save for it. Sometimes I put it on the card. Sometimes I suffer through the saving bit. I'm old enough that I will not deal with the hassle of used equipment that will potentially fail some point in the future. Sorry it failed on you shortly after purchase but that is life. Be thankful it was only a piece of stereo equipment and not something like the transmission in your car that you use daily for a 50 mile commute. Good luck in your endeavors and hopefully the repair cost isn't too high!
The return window and the warranty window are two different things. From what I'm reading the amp lost a channel while still in the return window and then he sold the amp to you at a loss.

Your statements don't add up. The return window is 15 days. The amp "lost a channel" several months ago. You say the amp was a month old.

I'm sorry for your circumstances but you really need to get your facts straight.
When I bought it.

Sep 16, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #82,079 of 151,304
When I bought it.
But you didn't buy it from Schiit, as I understand it? I think Schiit has been pretty clear that their warranty is not transferrable but that they will do their best to repair un-warrantied gear, and that there will likely be a cost. I suggest you should work out something with the original purchaser if you can.

Sep 16, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #82,080 of 151,304
I’m just saying that was a heck of a discount. I also bought a used aegir here on head-fi, but it was not that deeply discounted.
It sucks it happened, but that’s the risk you take buying used gear.

My dad always used to tell me “what’s cheap comes out expensive”
My dad always said "If your not in bed by 11 pm, you might as well come on home." :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back