Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #80,971 of 149,271
After the Lyr 3 gateway drug, I was drawn into full SET headphone amps, but 2A3-based rather than 300B-based. Good 2A3 pairs are not cheap, but way less than 300B. What I like about these 2A3-based SET amps is that they offer a greater sense of space over top solid-state amps, without being noticeably warm.
Which 2A3 tubes have you tried? Which do you recommend?
(asking for a friend... :wink:)

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #80,972 of 149,271
Anyone have any good tube recommendations for the Lyr 3? I have a shuguang treasure on the way, but open to suggestions. Currently running a Bifrost 2 and Empyreans, so I can deal with a tube that's more resolving.

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #80,974 of 149,271
This thread derails so easily.
Came here to read about new Schiit stuff and found 2 pages of discussion about face diapers and masks...

So two new Yggi variants will come?
Anything else, in the amp section maybe?

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #80,975 of 149,271
This thread derails so easily.
Came here to read about new Schiit stuff and found 2 pages of discussion about face diapers and masks...

So two new Yggi variants will come?
Just the two or A3 too?

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #80,976 of 149,271
Folkvangr is a bit too toasty, he said they are experimenting with this tray and trying to raise the tubes to deal with it.

I hope they will upload a non-potato quality version of the video.

Screenshot_20210827-011359_YouTube.jpg

For Tyr it sounded like they could get first articles in 4-8 weeks if I remember correctly.

Here are two Schitturds:

Screenshot_20210827-011257_YouTube.jpg

Just the two or A3 too?
Just the two, based on TI chips.

It's possible I missed something, I hope Jason will do a follow-up post here.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #80,977 of 149,271
@Jason Stoddard That question about any idea of a Schiit TVC you talk about at the beginning of the video, that was me.

Maybe I should have explained better in my email with so many abbreviations around in audio these days. A TVC is a Tranformer Volume Control
The idea behind it, that it has advantages?? over passive stepped attenuator volume control.
The volume is controlled by activating a different winding on a transformer for each level step.

Because Schiit appears to have a strong relation with a good transformer company I guessed it could be an option.
Fitting it into a Freya chassis wouldn't be a problem. Could be single ended AND balanced with a source selector for inputs like Freya.

With Tyr coming up (soon I hope) it looked attractive to me to have a good/better/best passive volume control in front of it.
With Tyr, to get enough output to the low/normal efficiency Quads wouldn't be a problem.
With Aegirs I need the gain stage on my Freya-S from time to time with Sol as a source and with digital source material that have dynamics well preserved .

sowter.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #80,978 of 149,271
Back in mid-March I ordered an Aegir with the intention of pairing it with some Dirty Weekend speakers from Zu Audio. I ordered the speakers during the March 25th sale, and yesterday they finally arrived.... It's early days, but so far my impressions are very positive.

ready to groove by davidflas, on Flickr

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #80,981 of 149,271
Hmm I wonder if the two new flavours of Yggy are using these newer chips from TI?

https://www.ti.com/product/DAC11001A 20bit R-2R and the DAC81001 would be the 16bit version.

excited to hear more especially since I’m currently in back order for one :)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #80,982 of 149,271
Back in mid-March I ordered an Aegir with the intention of pairing it with some Dirty Weekend speakers from Zu Audio. I ordered the speakers during the March 25th sale, and yesterday they finally arrived.... It's early days, but so far my impressions are very positive.

ready to groove by davidflas, on Flickr

Vey nice! I’ll be interested in what you think. I’m considering ordering a pair in the Nov sale. I’ll be using my aegir or rag 2.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #80,983 of 149,271
After the Lyr 3 gateway drug, I was drawn into full SET headphone amps, but 2A3-based rather than 300B-based. Good 2A3 pairs are not cheap, but way less than 300B. What I like about these 2A3-based SET amps is that they offer a greater sense of space over top solid-state amps, without being noticeably warm.
Those are indeed very good tubes.

I designed a SET in order to win a wager, just 15 watts for efficient speakers, when I get some free time it will become a headphone amp as well. The power tubes are not something most folks would have heard of, they were used in Russian and German transmitters in WW 2. The research and getting pentodes to work as triodes was part of the fun. :ksc75smile:

I own some decent solid state amps but only use one as part of a 7.2 system, other wise it is just Class A tube amps for me. They take me back to my early days in audio and I hope to keep that alive for my son since he will inherit the majority of my gear.

My son got me into Schiit gear so both of us own plenty of that. I especially like the DAC's and the Freya +. There are a couple new products by Schiit that pique my interest and one most certainly involves tubes. :beerchug:

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #80,984 of 149,271
Hmm I wonder if the two new flavours of Yggy are using these newer chips from TI?

https://www.ti.com/product/DAC11001Asays 20bit R-2R and the DAC81001 would be the 16bit version.

excited to hear more especially since I’m currently in back order for one :)

I think they were talking about analog stage changes rather than the digital parts.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #80,985 of 149,271
I think they were talking about analog stage changes rather than the digital parts.
On the livestream last night Jason mentioned 3 models.

Yggy OG (A2 using AD 4x20bit)
Yggy “less is more” using 4x16bit TI
Yggy “more is less” using 4x20bit TI

Jason mentioned at least some preferred “less is more” and that “more is less” measures the best of the 3.

Cost wise OG is the most while less is more is the cheapest. Sounded like they’re working on some impressions/reviews to help people decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back