Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #80,987 of 149,089
Hmm I wonder if the two new flavours of Yggy are using these newer chips from TI?

https://www.ti.com/product/DAC11001A 20bit R-2R and the DAC81001 would be the 16bit version.

excited to hear more especially since I’m currently in back order for one :)
That would make clear why the AD are still the top when you compare numbers. OMG measurements, wait for the Schiit storm.
But if this makes (close to the) top True Multibit DAC's available to the bigger group of music lovers I'm all in favor.
I guess this means that Gungnir is on the way out.

specs.jpg

ad.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #80,989 of 149,089
Folkvangr is a bit too toasty, he said they are experimenting with this tray and trying to raise the tubes to deal with it.

I hope they will upload a non-potato quality version of the video.

Screenshot_20210827-011359_YouTube.jpg

For Tyr it sounded like they could get first articles in 4-8 weeks if I remember correctly.

Here are two Schitturds:

Screenshot_20210827-011257_YouTube.jpg

Just the two, based on TI chips.

It's possible I missed something, I hope Jason will do a follow-up post here.
Thank you for the video captures, and saving us from the potatoes!

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #80,990 of 149,089
After the Lyr 3 gateway drug, I was drawn into full SET headphone amps, but 2A3-based rather than 300B-based. Good 2A3 pairs are not cheap, but way less than 300B. What I like about these 2A3-based SET amps is that they offer a greater sense of space over top solid-state amps, without being noticeably warm.
The amplifier I used in my 2-channel system for many years had Siemens F2a drivers and sounded simply fantastic.

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #80,991 of 149,089
Back in mid-March I ordered an Aegir with the intention of pairing it with some Dirty Weekend speakers from Zu Audio. I ordered the speakers during the March 25th sale, and yesterday they finally arrived.... It's early days, but so far my impressions are very positive.

ready to groove by davidflas, on Flickr
Very nice! I use the Aegir with my Omen Dirty Weekends and I love the combo. Enjoy!

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #80,992 of 149,089
On the livestream last night Jason mentioned 3 models.

Yggy OG (A2 using AD 4x20bit)
Yggy “less is more” using 4x16bit TI
Yggy “more is less” using 4x20bit TI

Jason mentioned at least some preferred “less is more” and that “more is less” measures the best of the 3.

Cost wise OG is the most while less is more is the cheapest. Sounded like they’re working on some impressions/reviews to help people decide.
Interesting! I wonder if there are any plans to bring different options to the Bifrost 2 as well?

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #80,993 of 149,089
So…

On yesterday's stream, @Jason Stoddard mentioned as an aside when he walked out of Valencia's repair lab:
But we don't have a lot of fails anymore…
My Mjolnir 2 heard that, and – I Schiit you not – pretty much immediately decided to blow out parts of the left channel. :laughing:

First time a piece of Schiit failed on me. I guess it's time for me to find out if their support and one-person-repair-team is as amazing as the rest of 'em! :grin:

In case anyone is interested, here's the description of the problem I sent to Schiit support earlier:
Yesterday, while listening, left channel made a single loud pop, after which the sound seemed ever so slightly muffled on the left. There was no magic smoke or funny smell, just the pop.

Turned the volume knob down to 0, unplugged the headphones, popped again.
Plugged them back in, volume still at 0, another pop.
Changed the tubes, still popping.
Tried single-ended headphones instead of balanced, no pop, but left channel is completely dead, not just slightly muffled.
Unplugged everything (except power, obviously) to make sure it's not another piece of gear in the chain, still pops when balanced headphones are being plugged in or out.

So I guess my Mjolnir might require a spa-trip to Valencia. :)
…and before anyone gets a heart attack: Apart from the initial pop, all further testing was done using the cheapest headphones I have. I may not be the brightest porch light on the block, but I'm not a complete idiot. :grin:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #80,995 of 149,089
So no new Analog-3 board for the Iggy?
I guess not,..? Curious as to why not. Maybe the Analog Devices is reaching end of life status and they don't think it's worth investing future development into? I guess I should consider grabbing the A2 upgrade then.

I'd be surprised if they released a Bifrost 2 upgrade board this year. More likely they release a new Modi Multibit (or something at that price point) alongside the new ESS Modi.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #80,997 of 149,089
I guess not,..? Curious as to why not.
Maybe because SHARC DSP has to be re-written into FPGA first. Just a thought and something Mike mentioned before. SHARC is too limited and EOL for further development.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #80,999 of 149,089
I've been thinking about this combo myself, and I'm wondering if one Aegir is enough to drive them. I know the DWs are efficient, but I've been considering two running in mono. Thoughts?

The Zu are very efficient, one Aegir should be more then enough for ear splitting levels. You should check out sbaf for their thoughts on dual Aegirs, seems to be a mixed bag. From what I recall a good number of people believe one Aegir sounds better then 2, if you have efficient enough speakers. Believe this is all gear synergy and chain dependent.

For reference a single aegir should push the DW to 105 db before even leaving class A.

I recommend getting the Ohm altering snubbers for the DW. They are cheap, and can have a strong impact on SQ, depending on your setup.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #81,000 of 149,089
So…

On yesterday's stream, @Jason Stoddard mentioned as an aside when he walked out of Valencia's repair lab:
"But we don't have a lot of fails anymore…"

My Mjolnir 2 heard that, and – I Schiit you not – pretty much immediately decided to blow out parts of the left channel. :laughing:

First time a piece of Schiit failed on me. I guess it's time for me to find out if their support and one-person-repair-team is as amazing as the rest of 'em! :grin:

In case anyone is interested, here's the description of the problem I sent to Schiit support earlier:
"Yesterday, while listening, left channel made a single loud pop, after which the sound seemed ever so slightly muffled on the left. There was no magic smoke or funny smell, just the pop.

Turned the volume knob down to 0, unplugged the headphones, popped again.
Plugged them back in, volume still at 0, another pop.
Changed the tubes, still popping.
Tried single-ended headphones instead of balanced, no pop, but left channel is completely dead, not just slightly muffled.
Unplugged everything (except power, obviously) to make sure it's not another piece of gear in the chain, still pops when balanced headphones are being plugged in or out.

So I guess my Mjolnir might require a spa-trip to Valencia. :)"

…and before anyone gets a heart attack: Apart from the initial pop, all further testing was done using the cheapest headphones I have. I may not be the brightest porch light on the block, but I'm not a complete idiot. :grin:
I have just noticed that my Gumby's optical in stopped working as well. What the heck happened with them?! 😳

Nice and sunny California weather, no thunderstorms, no electrical spikes; plus I'm using a pretty high quality surge protector for my gear anyway… Some weird Schiit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back