Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 26, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #80,956 of 150,790
True, but the fact that there is the Jotunheim R has made me think about the RAALs a few times. Just need to save long enough and not get distracted by other shiny things.
The Jotunheim R in black wouldn't be all that shiny...

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #80,957 of 150,790
Well he did make that specialized Jotunheim for RAAL ribbon headphones, which cannot have sold very many units as I am willing to bet not that many people own the headphones. :)
The 67 pairs of Audeze LCD-R + Jotunheim-A sold out in less than a day or thereabouts.
I would expect Schiit to have sold hundreds of Jotunheim-Rs. But I could be wrong and compared to, say, Modi or Magni, it definitely wouldn't count as "very many", true. But more than 24!

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #80,958 of 150,790
Some interesting perspective on the Headphone market segment: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/earphone-and-headphone-market

Without buying the report it's hard to say with any certainty, But guessing based on this public overview I'd bet the market share for specialized >$3000 headphones is very low, and the share for specialized amplifiers to drive one model of those (an amp not made by the headphone provider) is much smaller still. So 67 might be close. :wink:

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #80,959 of 150,790
Some interesting perspective on the Headphone market segment: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/earphone-and-headphone-market

Without buying the report it's hard to say with any certainty, But guessing based on this public overview I'd bet the market share for specialized >$3000 headphones is very low, and the share for specialized amplifiers to drive one model of those (an amp not made by the headphone provider) is much smaller still. So 67 might be close. :wink:
I may have to start a GoFundMe:grimacing:

Screenshot_20210826-112817_Chrome.jpg

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #80,960 of 150,790
I decided to clue in those who weren't born yet or who were doing other things in 1975 and missed polybendum...
I saw them live on Hollywood Blvd. at some 1000 seat or so auditorium. I was in school to get a degree requiring a license in health care. The, um, odor in the auditorium would have made anyone within a city block fail a blood test, if there was one. It made me a bit nervous until I took another breath.

What do you want from life?

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #80,961 of 150,790
If Schiit were to produce a 300B I'd pre order right now

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #80,962 of 150,790
I'd love to see a Schiit tube speaker amp (10w x2 into 8 ohms), and I don't really care what tubes they would use. :p
No need to be wimpy....design for a 300BXLS and get 20+ watts per channel.....single ended. :sweat_smile:

1630021568530.png

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #80,963 of 150,790
There's a mole at Schiit leaking lots of insider information, I think his name is Jason, but his identity is concealed by heavy video compression.

• Yggdrasil A2 will become Yggdrasil OG and get a higher price, still slated as the top model
  • Two more Yggdrasil variants will come with TI chips, one with 16 bit chips ("less is more" because some think it sounds the best), one with 20 bit chips ("more is less", best measuring Schiit DAC despite multibit)
  • Yggdrasil GS will go away
  • Ragnarok 2 now has a toroidal transformer with likely similar power, but lower noise floor
  • Urd is coming along, still some work left on the displays

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #80,964 of 150,790
There's a mole at Schiit leaking lots of insider information, I think his name is Jason, but his identity is concealed by heavy video compression.

• Yggdrasil A2 will become Yggdrasil OG and get a higher price, still slated as the top model
  • Two more Yggdrasil variants will come with TI chips, one with 16 bit chips ("less is more" because some think it sounds the best), one with 20 bit chips ("more is less", best measuring Schiit DAC despite multibit)
  • Yggdrasil GS will go away
  • Ragnarok 2 now has a toroidal transformer with likely similar power, but lower noise floor
  • Urd is coming along, still some work left on the displays

No rumor on Gungnir 2? :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #80,965 of 150,790
So no new Analog-3 board for the Iggy?

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #80,966 of 150,790
Ahhh the world we live in eh?

Soon to be three Yggys? Crazy.

I would be remiss if I didnt say the saddest part about all of this is that wearing PPE has become a political conversation at all.

There are many many things that have happened the last two years that are and should be contentious. MQA, Rise and Fall of Sol, ASR, Tiktok, that dress that was blue or gold depending on the person, plus ya know a lot of actually important stuff. Bourbon prices, California vineyards burning up or drying up, E150 in Scotch.

Thank god we dont debate whether firefighters should wear SCBAs or turnout gear or whether public works and highway employees should wear bright, visible clothing, food service workers should wash their hands after going to the restroom, or that its not good to smoke indoors or in the car with kids, or that icy & snowy sidewalks should be salted or shoveled in the winter. Or that our multibit dacs should be left on all the time. I mean cmon. I could go on and on. Oh last one. Thank God we dont debate wearing a lead lined vest when having xrays done, or that my mom didnt argue when she couldnt be near my kids for a week after her Iodine pill gave off all kinds of radiation. I guess I should have told her "its ok mom, I cant see it or hear it or smell it or feel it, come give my pregnant wife a hug and hold my 1 year old as much as you want". Thank God that stuff isnt political. Also, silver Schiit sounds better then black Schiit.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #80,968 of 150,790
It's a niche among audiophiles, which is a niche among headphone users, which is a niche among users of stand-alone music systems, which is a niche among consumer electronics buyers. So a small market. But I might buy one because I'm a niche-y kind of guy. :)
After the Lyr 3 gateway drug, I was drawn into full SET headphone amps, but 2A3-based rather than 300B-based. Good 2A3 pairs are not cheap, but way less than 300B. What I like about these 2A3-based SET amps is that they offer a greater sense of space over top solid-state amps, without being noticeably warm.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #80,970 of 150,790
ENOUGH. That’s five minutes of my life I won’t get back. Now let’s talk audio, please.

And if you haven’t heard of Kiran Ahluwalia, Inrecommend. Her used CD from Goodwill started me on a journey that I’m really enjoying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back