Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 3, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #78,946 of 150,886
Lately my Valhalla 2 keeps melting the rubber feet off on the right side of the unit. And NO, I am not blaming Schiit the company I am wondering why? I do listen for a few hours every day and leave it on all day on days off so maybe I should put a small fan on it? I I have enough saved to buy just the Magnius or Modius now but the wait for the former is quite long. But maybe I should order one now? I am using right now Bluetooth headphones as I don't like the heat that much during summer.

Or I could try the Modius out with the Valhalla2? I did try ordering a Modius but kept getting an error from Schiit's site so I may have my son help me. I know I am not as serious a listener as so many here are but that only makes me value your thoughts all the more. So please chime in if you would care to. If not, I understand. I am thinking of just using the Emotiva XDA2 for a while but when home I am mostly in the Valhalla Room. :beerchug:

Thanks to all!

Listening to Modius through Woo Audio Wa8. It's a SET amp not OTL like Valhalla, but the combo is very nice!

I have a Valhalla 2 collecting dust. I may just try the Modius with that sometime.

I never had an issue with melting feet either. But I do have socket savers.

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #78,948 of 150,886
"Painting the edge of a CD green - General Forum - Audiophile Style" https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27888-painting-the-edge-of-a-cd-green/
I loved this comment,
"For a group of seemingly smart guys, you folks seem to waste a lot of time chasing after some specious and irrelevant bull.
Let me be the first to congratulate you (other than yourselves) for your tireless efforts on behalf of the audio community."

And this reply,
"I personally feel like it is a great benefit to the audiophile community. If I was like some people, I would become a purveyor of goods that are crap and market it to them. They would spend large sums of money, and the community would be poorer for it. On the other hand I would be richer. So us amateur BS pursuers are the best of the breed. By remaining amateurs we by default enrichen the community."

Amateur BS pursuer. That is my new goal.

Jul 3, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #78,949 of 150,886
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #78,950 of 150,886
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #78,951 of 150,886
Lately my Valhalla 2 keeps melting the rubber feet off on the right side of the unit. And NO, I am not blaming Schiit the company I am wondering why? I do listen for a few hours every day and leave it on all day on days off so maybe I should put a small fan on it? I I have enough saved to buy just the Magnius or Modius now but the wait for the former is quite long. But maybe I should order one now? I am using right now Bluetooth headphones as I don't like the heat that much during summer.

Or I could try the Modius out with the Valhalla2? I did try ordering a Modius but kept getting an error from Schiit's site so I may have my son help me. I know I am not as serious a listener as so many here are but that only makes me value your thoughts all the more. So please chime in if you would care to. If not, I understand. I am thinking of just using the Emotiva XDA2 for a while but when home I am mostly in the Valhalla Room. :beerchug:

Thanks to all!

@Daniel Johnston @Ripper2860 how many socket savers for each tube in Valhalla 2? is one enough (~5/8" elevation) or are two per tube needed?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #78,952 of 150,886
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #78,953 of 150,886
Great suggestion, but now I'm wondering if I should invest on a better tube for my Saga... any suggestions?
I don’t have a Schiit preamp. But if you are looking for replacement tubes, you’ll get literally hundreds of opinions on what is best. And you can easily spend many hundreds of dollars only to end up where you started.

I’m a NOS Mullard and Brimar guy. I like smooth highs and lush mids.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #78,955 of 150,886
Seems problematic to me. The bottom of my Valhalla 2 never gets close to hot enough to burn rubber feet (and I don't use socket savers). Probably a malfunction going on - I'd suggest contacting Schiit

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #78,956 of 150,886
I don’t have a Schiit preamp. But if you are looking for replacement tubes, you’ll get literally hundreds of opinions on what is best. And you can easily spend many hundreds of dollars only to end up where you started.

I’m a NOS Mullard and Brimar guy. I like smooth highs and lush mids.
I like to see how my preferences stack up with a large group of people. Mullard and Brimar are certainly in the mix.😎

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #78,957 of 150,886
Great suggestion, but now I'm wondering if I should invest on a better tube for my Saga... any suggestions?
What’s in it now? My preference is the 6sn7-uk from PSVane. Not too expensive, sounds great. Everyone’s mileage varies. I also find that Saga is less affected by tube changes than my Lyr 3or Vali 2.

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #78,958 of 150,886
What’s in it now? My preference is the 6sn7-uk from PSVane. Not too expensive, sounds great. Everyone’s mileage varies. I also find that Saga is less affected by tube changes than my Lyr 3or Vali 2.
It came with a Tung Sol GTB, which I also have in my Darkvoice. Just curious, I don't want to spend a lot, just wondering if another option exists for an inexpensive amount.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #78,959 of 150,886
I’m considering dumping my Freya + and switching it with a Freya S.
Feeling ever luckier that I grabbed a lightly used black Freya S for sale on another site :L3000:

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #78,960 of 150,886
It came with a Tung Sol GTB, which I also have in my Darkvoice. Just curious, I don't want to spend a lot, just wondering if another option exists for an inexpensive amount.
Where are you located? I may have some tubes I can give you just so you can experience a couple other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back