Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #76,021 of 152,757
Apr 30, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #76,022 of 152,757
After a week of listening to music through the Yiggy, I wanted to share my impressions

1st off; I grew up listening to Vinyl. My earliest significant audio experience was listening to my father’s “stereo” system consisting of an integrated HH Scott 223 tube integrated amp though some locally made (Vashon Island, Wa State) Jonzer speakers, source by a very scary Garrard “automatic” turntable (the tonearm could rip your hand off if you got in the way….).

Nevertheless I discovered a sweet spot on the floor, and spent hours listening to Beethoven, Sinatra, Miles and (of all things) theatre, including Zero Mostel - Fiddler on the Roof, Sound of Music, West Side Story, etc.

Why mention that? Simple - the Yggdrasil GS has quite simply taken me back to that!

I won’t go into details, but since the early 90’s, after the loss of my vinyl collection, I’ve been 100% digital - eventually settling on Sumo components feeding a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures. Life rolled on, and I found I found myself far more obsessed with IT and alpine climbing than music.

A few short years ago, I abandoned my Sumo transport and DAC, after hooking up a spare Mac Mini running iTunes. What a revelation. I immediately ripped many CD’s (lossless of course) and began enjoying music again… I should mention that the Apogee’s are very revealing, but also a bit relentless, especially at higher frequencies; feed them crap and they sound like it. A great example of this would be Joe Jackson’s - Night and Day | Target. Percussion on this is amazing, but decoded via DSD it’s unbearably bright over the Apogees.

Skip forward to a Modi (non multibit) - BIG improvement! Enough to let me rediscover many many favorites, especially after going to ROON and re-ripping music collection via dbPoweramp. Still…. Extended listening sessions were still fatiguing; upgrades to a Schiit Freya S and a pair of Vidars were a HUGE help ….

So yeah - Yiggy GS. I let it warm up a couple of days, then connected into my system. After sorting out Roon Core being upset with a new device, I found myself seriously impressed.

Completely gone is the Apogee’s tendencies toward harsh/brittle/glare at higher frequencies. As mentioned before, Joe Jackson’s Night and Day, while still forward has lost all harshness. Percussion leading edge transients are in space - feels organic. Percussion back side now has weight. It is an on-going, FUN exercise re-listening to old favorites - the last time I felt this was a long past serious turntable/arm upgrade including a Denon DL-103…

Detail, separation of instruments/voices/whatever is just amazing to listen to. An analogy: My sister in law is a seriously accomplished cook, on holiday get togethers, we all comment on how she will not let ANY food on her plate touch the adjacent portion. Green beans touching mashed potatoes?? Noooo! Baked beans shmoozing against potato salad? Not on your life!

She’d love a Yggdrasil
What was I thinking, buying a new turntable. when I have an Yggy A2........ :grimacing:

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #76,024 of 152,757
Why have I just bought a turntable. when I have an Yggy A2........ :grimacing:
Haha, yes, you’re supposed to sell your turntable and records ( the ones that sell for waaaaay too high right now) and just by a Yggy that way! I sold all
Mine last year and bought a Yggy, 2 Vidars, Freya +, and the MJ2. Plus I also replaced those albums I loved the most with a digital version. I still have albums I’m selling and money left over. Instead of paying the crazy record prices, I’m investing in stocks and saving for an Eames lounge for extra awesome listening comfort.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #76,025 of 152,757
Haha, yes, you’re supposed to sell your turntable and records ( the ones that sell for waaaaay too high right now) and just by a Yggy that way! I sold all
Mine last year and bought a Yggy, 2 Vidars, Freya +, and the MJ2. Plus I also replaced those albums I loved the most with a digital version. I still have albums I’m selling and money left over. Instead of paying the crazy record prices, I’m investing in stocks and saving for an Eames lounge for extra awesome listening comfort.
Timing.....the secret of good comedy :relaxed:

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #76,026 of 152,757
The best sounding V8 I ever owned was in a Maserati Quatroporte. Too bad it was also the least reliable V8 I ever owned. :)
There's a guy here who buys up used Maserati coupes from the early 2000s, and runs them hard on the track. The depreciation on these is humongous, so he gets them for really cheap. Although they are a little on the heavy side, he still gets to drive a Ferrari powered car on the track, so it works out.

Apr 30, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #76,028 of 152,757
How does Shia Europe handle the error? Could they find and confirm the error? I read about the error here on the forum years ago. Before I send in the Ragnarok, Schiit Europe should know what to look for. Unfortunately Schiit/USA refuses a clear statement. My mails are not answered anymore. I should contact Schiit Europe, but that's all. I have explicitly asked whether my device with the corresponding serial number is to be located in the faulty batch according to their documents. This information would ensure that Schiit Europe knows what to do.

I will add your contribution to the repair description.
Yes, Schiit Europe did confirm and recognized the problem.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #76,029 of 152,757
About every other time I used it as one or more spark plug wells filled with oil.
What a shame. The Quattraporte was a visually stunning automobile!!

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #76,030 of 152,757
What a shame. The Quattraporte was a visually stunning automobile!!
What was maddening for me is the car I had before it, a Lincoln LS with a Jaguar V8, did pretty much the same thing over and over by shorting out the COPs (coil on plugs) with oil leaks. The Maz was a dream ride at 80 on the highway. So was the Lincoln for that matter. Oh well I drive electric vehicles now. No more oil. :)

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #76,032 of 152,757
Speaking about cables and connections, I still dont kind of get the point of balanced cables for home audio usage

Seems more like another marketing check box and a lot of trouble for not much improvements nowadays
My sub and amps are quite far from my preamp though. with long RCAs I'm always picking up noise somewhere, but have never had that problem with XLR.
For the short dac to HP amp, probably doesn't matter though. Except for the extra gain you can get from the balanced outs on a DAC. And the extra power you get running balanced into a pair of Vidars....

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #76,034 of 152,757

Users who are viewing this thread

Back